Beagle Basset Hound mix. Question

Beagle Basset Hound mix. Question

emlee3

QUOTE 7/14/2006 4:08:23 AM

Quote puppylove0101:

Thanks Mystic for sticking up for me. I understand that some people get passionate in here and thats ok with me. people have the right to their own opinions. they are giving me advise. Obviously these people know that beagles and bassets have a natural instinct to hunt rabbits. When I was looking at different websites for training the beagle or basset hound I had noticed a section to go to for training your basset hound or beagle how to hunt rabbits. I just assumed that if there was a place to go to learn how to train him to hunt, then Zoe wouldnt be a real hunter if she wasnt trained for it. I didn't plan to train her to be a hunter. So i figured if she wasnt trained to hunt them, then she would just like to chase them around. I am sorry to everyone. I will continue my studies on this breed. I still believe I chose the right breed. I love her sooo much already. It hurts to have to leave her when I go to visit. only 5 more weeks til she can come home. I have a friend who does dog training and he has agreed to train us. when she is old enough of course. I have decided to crate train her too. I have looked into it and got lots of advise. I will be putting her crate in my room at night so she won't feel too lonely at night.
next time whenever you are about to purchase a mixed puppy go to the SHELTER. they have plenty of puppies there...also you should def. research the dog BEFORE you buy the puppy.
rescuewench

QUOTE 7/14/2006 9:42:15 PM

100 percent in agreement with THAT!!

RW
romandoggie

QUOTE 7/26/2006 12:47:38 PM
I just adopted a 3-4 year old Beagle/Basset (Bagle). He is lazy! But he is the sweetest dog ever and I couldn't be happier. he loves to cuddle. he also loves to go on walks (just so long as they aren't too long or if it's too hot! haha) Every dog is different though. Just thought I'd let you know how much I love my bagle!
graceemily

QUOTE 7/26/2006 12:53:36 PM

Quote romandoggie:

I just adopted a 3-4 year old Beagle/Basset (Bagle). He is lazy! But he is the sweetest dog ever and I couldn't be happier. he loves to cuddle. he also loves to go on walks (just so long as they aren't too long or if it's too hot! haha) Every dog is different though. Just thought I'd let you know how much I love my bagle!
Your dog is not a 'bagle'. 'Bagle' is a mis-spelt foodstuff.

Your dog is a Beagle/Basset Hound cross and I'm sure it's lovely.
mah133

QUOTE 1/24/2007 12:13:11 PM
I love my BAGLE too, he is a great dog, not "mis-spelt food stuff." That was a very intelligent description of a Bagle.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 1/24/2007 12:32:26 PM

Quote graceemily:

Your dog is not a 'bagle'. 'Bagle' is a mis-spelt foodstuff.

Your dog is a Beagle/Basset Hound cross and I'm sure it's lovely.
Haven't seen you in awhile EG good to see ya again.

rmassa1

QUOTE 2/4/2007 7:42:09 PM
I absolutely adore my bagle!
My husband and I got her from the SPCA about 2 years ago. She was about 3 years old and the only dog that was not jumping around begging for attention. I picked her right away, because I have had a high energy dog in the past and it didn't work well with my lifestyle. It was unfair to the dog and to me.
I love all of her gross noises, the snorts and the groans and the smacking.
Also, her bark is not just loud it is a blood curdling yell.
She is just so sweet and laid back, but probably the most stubborn dog I have ever owned. Anyone that has ever owned one will know what I mean. I don't know if it is just laziness, stupidity or they are just so smart they rationalize the worth of doing something when commanded to do it.
The one thing I will say is that it is important to monitor their diets and make sure they get plenty of exercise, b/c they have a tendency to get fat.
All and all, my experience with a beagle-basset has been wonderful.
cooper178

QUOTE 2/20/2007 11:39:50 AM

Quote angelzoo:

Puppylove: If you are worried about the dogs personality, then why did you choose those breeds?
Would you want to find something more suited to your preference and life style?
Remember this is a dog you will have for the rest of it's life, that's MANY years.

It's not to late to get your money back for the dog, and find something else.
Purchasing a mixed dog from a breeder or byb or petstore is never a good idea. They are nothing more then a MUTT.

There is no garuntee that any dog will be playful, or even loving. But you can try and help it to be, but if it's not what the dog is like, it will never be like your typical happy attention seeking golden retriver.

Nothing more than a mutt???? what a total jerk. Thats just like saying if an african american and white person have a baby thats like calling them a mutt!!! Ive found that beagle basset hound mixes make some of the best dogs. I just got another beagle basset mix and she is amazing. smart as a whip, and when im tired from work she knows and understands this, and when she is super hyper, i understand that. All im trying to say is mixed are not mutts!!
gbat1stop

QUOTE 2/20/2007 1:35:19 PM

Quote cooper178:

Nothing more than a mutt???? what a total jerk. Thats just like saying if an african american and white person have a baby thats like calling them a mutt!!! Ive found that beagle basset hound mixes make some of the best dogs. I just got another beagle basset mix and she is amazing. smart as a whip, and when im tired from work she knows and understands this, and when she is super hyper, i understand that. All im trying to say is mixed are not mutts!!
Yes an African American and Caucasion will produce a "mutt" as will an Italian and a Greek, an Indian and a German....get the drift? I am a "mutt" as are most humans today. Why do people think of "mutt" as a negative description? I have a mutt and love her dearly. When people ask what "breed" she is, I tell them she is a mutt and describe the mix as Pomeranian/Rat Terrier.

lganio

QUOTE 2/20/2007 1:52:56 PM
Mutt is not meant to be offensive. I love my mutt too. She is a lab/setter mix. She is loveable, sweet, and one of the best family dogs ever. I also love my min pin...pure bred just the same!! I too am a mutt as are my children!!
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 2/20/2007 3:04:16 PM
I'm a mutt too. German, Irish and English.
And I don't appreciate being referred to as white. If you can give African Americans the respect to call them by their politically correct name, then you can afford to call me Caucasian. But my hair skin and eyes are not white and I don't really care for that term.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 2/21/2007 10:08:26 AM
when people are euthanized by the 1000s every day because theres not enough homes for them, or they had bad habit's or just wernt cute enough then compare mixed people with the mutts of k9 form. though not to say if we did euthanize allot of people the world would be better, but hey thats not my call that and people kill off themselves enough anyway doing stupid stuff..

mixed, mutt, mongrel, Heinz 57 no matter what you want to call them there was an abundance of them before they became the hottest selling thing now there is a huge surplus of them, but not in home but in the shelters and rescues.. wanna pay 100s of dollars for an intentional breed mixed mutt then thats your stupidity, all you had to do is look and get one for less than 100 buck and would have saved a life in need of saving instead of contributing to some ones greed and recklessness, they know that some one will buy the cute little thing, and all i can say for anyone who buys a intentional hybrid, cross, mix, get your money back and use it for an education because you are in obvious need of one
bholsomback

QUOTE 2/21/2007 1:32:47 PM
I just picked up a couple of what I think are Bagle puppies this morning. Couldn't find the owners anywhere and they weren't wearing collars. Look to be about 8 weeks old and are C U T E!!! Took them to my vet and, surprise, they weren't micro-chipped. Needless to say, these breeds DO wander as these obviously did. It's great to see so much positive feedback from those of you who do own Bagles. I've owned pure bred of each breed and have found the stubbornness to be an issue as well - these two cuties already seem to have a mind of thier own! Everybody keep your fingers crossed on crate training and housetraining for us as we are trying to sell our house and having poopie piles on the floor would not be appealing to buyers!
gbat1stop

QUOTE 2/22/2007 3:53:54 PM
A pooping 'bagle', is this a new recipe? I prefer mine with cream cheese.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 2/22/2007 4:21:17 PM

Quote gbat1stop:

A pooping 'bagle', is this a new recipe? I prefer mine with cream cheese.
me too
animallver

QUOTE 5/18/2007 3:42:53 PM
Wow, some of you people took such a SIMPLE question and turned it into so much more!! Leave the poor lady alone!! She was coming for advice and some of you attacked her saying she should have adopted from a shelter, isnt that HER decision?? Where I live the closest shelter is two hours away. And they NEVER have puppies. All of the dogs are older. Granted we have adopted older dogs that have only lived for a year or so. But that gets difficult when we have young children who grow to love these animals. It is nice to have a puppy for my children to grow up with. I have a beagle/basset mix and we BOUGHT AND PURCHASED her for 75$, less then the amount it is for us to adopt from the shelter. It is 150 for us to adopt. And she is energetic and the sweetest thing ever!!
taktjones2000

QUOTE 5/31/2007 7:22:20 PM
I have a basset hound/beagle mix dog named Bella. She is 7yrs old and have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She is by far the best dog I have ever had. Very good temperment, extreamly loyal, she loves to play with my kids. She does bark but only when she is playing or someone knocks at the door, It is a VERY loud booming bark. She is also a bit on the lazy side. She will sleep for hours, then when she feels good and ready she will want to play for hours. The worst thing about her is the shedding, she sheds like mad. Bella fur everywhere, but she can't help it and I just have to vacume ALOT. I adopted her from a shelter, best 55 dollars I ever spent.
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 5/31/2007 7:24:32 PM

Quote taktjones2000:

I have a basset hound/beagle mix dog named Bella. She is 7yrs old and have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She is by far the best dog I have ever had. Very good temperment, extreamly loyal, she loves to play with my kids. She does bark but only when she is playing or someone knocks at the door, It is a VERY loud booming bark. She is also a bit on the lazy side. She will sleep for hours, then when she feels good and ready she will want to play for hours. The worst thing about her is the shedding, she sheds like mad. Bella fur everywhere, but she can't help it and I just have to vacume ALOT. I adopted her from a shelter, best 55 dollars I ever spent.
She sounds like a really cool dog, congrats.
miarob

QUOTE 5/31/2007 7:37:20 PM

Quote taktjones2000:

Isn't it funny how the shelter dogs, ie: mixed, seem to be the best. Of all the dogs I have had in 50 years my 2 shelter pooches where by far the best all around, no weirdness so to speak
arachyd

QUOTE 6/1/2007 8:19:07 AM
Hounds in general are high-energy dogs with definite exercise needs. Bassetts are not as leggy so they don't travel as fast as other hounds but if they don't get their exercise they become destructive and difficult to live with. Hounds go through periods of high activity separated by some serious snoozing time with some quiet tv or belly rub time. They can be extreme in both play and sleep. The breed of hound determines what degree of activity your dog will have. Bassetts have more quiet time and beagles can run far and fast where no bassett will go. I'd guess your dog will be somewhere between the two but like others have said, you can't predict the personality of a pup. This is especially true when the pup is a crossbreed. You yourself said the parents were the opposite of what you'd think they should be. Well, the pups could be any combination of personality, laziness, looks, and intelligence of either parent or any of their ancestors. Breeds have general characteristics common through the breed but characteristics are not guaranteed. Hounds do hunt. Some (even within the same litter) are natural at trailing certain animals and some have to be trained to trail what the hunter is hunting. They have a strong prey drive. The training is to guide that prey drive. Good for you if you go through with using a trainer. You will find it a valuable experience and hopefully you will enjoy many years with your dog.
Post Reply New Topic