Beagle Basset Hound mix. Question

Beagle Basset Hound mix. Question

puppylove0101

QUOTE 7/10/2006 2:12:50 PM
I recently purchased a beagle basset hound mix. I read on a website that basset hounds are very lazy. will she like to play fetch? is she going to be a playful dog. she is only 2 weeks old right now. i dont get her until mid august. how would i be able to tell right now if she is going to be a good dog or a smart dog? someone told me there are ways you can tell when you pick them out of the litter. Not that I would love her any less. I'm just curious. I have tried to research this dog before I chose her but cant really get info on the mix breed. I researched the beagle and basset hound separately. I would like any info on this type of mixed breed. will she be more like her mother the beagle? or her father the basset hound? thanks ahead of time for any info you can give me.
funnybunny

QUOTE 7/10/2006 4:45:20 PM
You are asking questions that are impossible to answer. She is only two weeks old, and at that point you can't see their personality. When they begin to walk and play, and open their eyes, that is when you can guess what the animal will be like. Basset Hounds can be very lazy, which is why they need certain stimulation and exercise, and of course their food intake needs to be monitored because they gain weight very easily. The Beagle is an energetic and playful dog. Without seeing the puppy, seeing the parents, their temperaments, or anything like that, nobody can possibly answer your questions. It is up to you to choose which one would best fit your lifestyle. If you want a playful puppy, then pick the one that seems to be the most playful. All of them will have different personalities and individual traits that make them unique.
suebgone

QUOTE 7/10/2006 9:18:54 PM
BOUGHT a beagle basset?? They're being killed in shelters every day.

If you have particular criteria for a pet, then you should get an adult where the dye is more cast & you have a better idea of what the dog is.

There is absolutely no way to know how a litter will turn out, even if the parents are of the same breed.
funnybunny

QUOTE 7/11/2006 12:05:46 AM

Quote suebgone:

BOUGHT a beagle basset?? They're being killed in shelters every day.

If you have particular criteria for a pet, then you should get an adult where the dye is more cast & you have a better idea of what the dog is.

There is absolutely no way to know how a litter will turn out, even if the parents are of the same breed.
I also noticed the word "purchased", however I have learned that some people use the word bought or purchased even when they give an adoption fee. I make that mistake sometimes when saying how I got Mattress, although I do correct myself.
suebgone

QUOTE 7/11/2006 12:42:40 AM

Quote funnybunny:

I also noticed the word "purchased", however I have learned that some people use the word bought or purchased even when they give an adoption fee. I make that mistake sometimes when saying how I got Mattress, although I do correct myself.
You could be right, but since she said it is only 2 weeks old now.....sorta sounded like it was coming from a breeder. OP????
funnybunny

QUOTE 7/11/2006 12:54:48 AM

Quote suebgone:

You could be right, but since she said it is only 2 weeks old now.....sorta sounded like it was coming from a breeder. OP????
That is true. It does seem strange, I just give the benefit of the doubt in some cases. If this dog was indeed bought, then of course this person supported BYB's and puppy mills...
maoseger1010

QUOTE 7/11/2006 4:08:08 AM

Quote puppylove0101:

I recently purchased a beagle basset hound mix. I read on a website that basset hounds are very lazy. will she like to play fetch? is she going to be a playful dog. she is only 2 weeks old right now. i dont get her until mid august. how would i be able to tell right now if she is going to be a good dog or a smart dog? someone told me there are ways you can tell when you pick them out of the litter. Not that I would love her any less. I'm just curious. I have tried to research this dog before I chose her but cant really get info on the mix breed. I researched the beagle and basset hound separately. I would like any info on this type of mixed breed. will she be more like her mother the beagle? or her father the basset hound? thanks ahead of time for any info you can give me.
Yes this dog will be playful and I'm sure you can teach it to fetch. Yes bassets are more layed back than some higher engery dogs but by no means does that make them "unfun". However are you prepaired to housetrain. Many beagles and bassets end up in shelters because people don't properly house train them and throw them outside where they "sing" in the only way a hound can. Which most neighbors don't like.

This will not be an outside dog, it will want to be close to you. Both breeds are very loving.
gypsie_spiryt

QUOTE 7/11/2006 8:40:55 AM
I am sure you have seen on my previous posts that my Maggie is a Labrador Basset Hound Mix. She is 6 months old and we got her from the shelter at 6 weeks. She has her very energetic moments and her lazy moments. She loves to run and play in the water. Watering the lawn is usually an entertaining expirience. She is also VERY VOCAL! She barks, whines, whimpers, and growls about everything! She is super smart and was potty trained by 8 weeks. Puzzle toys usually take less than 5 minutes for her to figure out.

I hope your pup makes you as happy as mine does me. (although we have our frustrated moments). Because your dog is going to be a "hunting dog" you may not be able to ever let them off the leash. Beagles and Bassets like to follow thier nose.
angelzoo

QUOTE 7/11/2006 10:00:39 AM
Puppylove: If you are worried about the dogs personality, then why did you choose those breeds?
Would you want to find something more suited to your preference and life style?
Remember this is a dog you will have for the rest of it's life, that's MANY years.

It's not to late to get your money back for the dog, and find something else.
Purchasing a mixed dog from a breeder or byb or petstore is never a good idea. They are nothing more then a MUTT.

There is no garuntee that any dog will be playful, or even loving. But you can try and help it to be, but if it's not what the dog is like, it will never be like your typical happy attention seeking golden retriver.

puppylove0101

QUOTE 7/11/2006 10:18:24 AM
Her father, the basset hound is the hyper and playful one. He gets quite excited when people come to the house. He is very clumsy. lol. Her mother, the beagle is very laid back and playful when she wants to be. both dogs are very nice. but their personalities are backwards which i thought was odd. I dont know which term I am suppose to use about paying for a dog. bought, purchased or whatever. i didnt know there was a difference. I answered an ad that said beagleXbasset hound puppies for sale. I paid $300.00 to a couple who have a beagle and a basset hound for pets and they had a litter of puppies. I did research the two breeds separately and came to the conclusion that either breed would suit my family's lifestyle. I think she will have a blast everytime we go to camp because we have lots of wild rabbits she'll love to play with. we are planning to put her in obedience classes. I am looking forward to her joining our family. and just so you know, i am a BIG dog lover and would never give up on my dog for anything.
angelzoo

QUOTE 7/11/2006 11:56:20 AM
Congratulations.
Whether you realize it or not, you have just contributed to the future progress of another BYB (Back Yard Breeder.)
Now, if they were giving these dogs away, due to an accidental litter and they were getting their adult dogs fixed, that would be one thing.
But now you have just convinced them that breeding MUTTS makes for great money and great business.
Millions of dogs die each year due to Back Yard Breeders and Puppy Mills.

For more information on this subject check out these sites.
Please don't allow yourself to be ignorant to this situation any longer.

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/
back_yard_breeders.htm

http://www.almosthomerescue.org/whatisbyb/
whatisbyb.htm

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/NoPuppyMillsVA
/What_is_a_Backyard_Breeder_/
what_is_a_backyard_breeder_.html
suebgone

QUOTE 7/11/2006 7:20:07 PM
"lots of rabbits she will love to play with"? Apparently you haven't read much about the breeds. They HUNT rabbits!!!!

If you turn this dog loose it will be GONE & you very well may never see it again.

$300 for a mutt???? You could have gotten the same mix at a shelter for a third of that, already neutered with vaccines.

Or for that or less, from a rescue, completely vetted incuding testing & on HW & flea preventative, house broken, leash trained!
doggypassion

QUOTE 7/11/2006 7:24:55 PM

Quote suebgone:

"lots of rabbits she will love to play with"? Apparently you haven't read much about the breeds. They HUNT rabbits!!!!

If you turn this dog loose it will be GONE & you very well may never see it again.

$300 for a mutt???? You could have gotten the same mix at a shelter for a third of that, already neutered with vaccines.

Or for that or less, from a rescue, completely vetted incuding testing & on HW & flea preventative, house broken, leash trained!
rescuewench

QUOTE 7/13/2006 12:22:45 PM

Quote suebgone:

:

sickening!

RW

doggypassion

QUOTE 7/13/2006 12:41:42 PM

Quote rescuewench:

:

sickening!

RW

puglet

QUOTE 7/13/2006 1:29:52 PM
I fyou wanted a mix why not go to a shelter. there are loads of PUPPIES at shelter that have come about through accidental breeding and also from puppymill rescues. going to the shelter does not mean forgoing having a cute puppy. there are so many needing homes right now, but instead you'v given money to a couple who decided to "experiment" with their two unfixed dogs to see if they could make a quick buck.
funnybunny

QUOTE 7/13/2006 2:19:58 PM

Quote puppylove0101:

Her father, the basset hound is the hyper and playful one. He gets quite excited when people come to the house. He is very clumsy. lol. Her mother, the beagle is very laid back and playful when she wants to be. both dogs are very nice. but their personalities are backwards which i thought was odd. I dont know which term I am suppose to use about paying for a dog. bought, purchased or whatever. i didnt know there was a difference. I answered an ad that said beagleXbasset hound puppies for sale. I paid $300.00 to a couple who have a beagle and a basset hound for pets and they had a litter of puppies. I did research the two breeds separately and came to the conclusion that either breed would suit my family's lifestyle. I think she will have a blast everytime we go to camp because we have lots of wild rabbits she'll love to play with. we are planning to put her in obedience classes. I am looking forward to her joining our family. and just so you know, i am a BIG dog lover and would never give up on my dog for anything.
The first chance that dog gets, it will KILL the rabbits that it can catch. The instinct to hunt is still there. Those rabbits are not safe if you allowed him/her to "play" with the rabbits. I learned the hard way when my dog Mattress killed my brothers rabbit. The breeds that you are getting will most definitely kill those rabbits.
mysticcrystal

QUOTE 7/13/2006 2:41:24 PM
Guys! I bet he/she does not like to be yelled at! If your not going to give peaceful, nice advise don't give any at all!

I say it is too young to really determine if it will be too lazy or not
rescuewench

QUOTE 7/13/2006 4:23:31 PM

Quote mysticcrystal:

Guys! I bet he/she does not like to be yelled at! If your not going to give peaceful, nice advise don't give any at all!

i dont see nayone YELLING!!!

my GODDESS! must we walk on friggen EGGS here now???

this is CRAZY!!
cant even just state an opinion as you MAY hurt the op's feelings.

(sighs)

puppylove0101

QUOTE 7/14/2006 12:32:06 AM

Quote mysticcrystal:

Thanks Mystic for sticking up for me. I understand that some people get passionate in here and thats ok with me. people have the right to their own opinions. they are giving me advise. Obviously these people know that beagles and bassets have a natural instinct to hunt rabbits. When I was looking at different websites for training the beagle or basset hound I had noticed a section to go to for training your basset hound or beagle how to hunt rabbits. I just assumed that if there was a place to go to learn how to train him to hunt, then Zoe wouldnt be a real hunter if she wasnt trained for it. I didn't plan to train her to be a hunter. So i figured if she wasnt trained to hunt them, then she would just like to chase them around. I am sorry to everyone. I will continue my studies on this breed. I still believe I chose the right breed. I love her sooo much already. It hurts to have to leave her when I go to visit. only 5 more weeks til she can come home. I have a friend who does dog training and he has agreed to train us. when she is old enough of course. I have decided to crate train her too. I have looked into it and got lots of advise. I will be putting her crate in my room at night so she won't feel too lonely at night.
Post Reply New Topic