Gerbils vs Rabbits

Gerbils vs Rabbits

bpies4

QUOTE 6/5/2006 6:31:06 AM
oh well... maybe I should explain.I am supposedly getting a pet after the summer no... not A dog My mom thinks a rabbit might be good...I do too but I still want to ask those more experienced than me.I already had a hamster.He nipped a lot.... I loved him though so .I don't like getting nipped that much.I also want a pet that can stand a little hot weather,not that much.My mom can't stand rats and guinea pigs.I like them, no offense rat and pigsie luvers. So help me dicide between the two choices. Thanks
rescuewench

QUOTE 6/5/2006 1:22:45 PM
i like gerbils myself...shame you cant get a nice rat - they make great pets ..i adore them, but with 7 cats - obviously canot have one.

i prefer gerbils to hamsters ..except the siberian dwarf ones they are too cute!..

i had dwarf bunnies - ( well my kids had them i cared for them )LOL

but i guess i am just not a bunny person, they are too afraid of stuff.

good luck getting your pocket pet!

ps, remember many of them are nocturnal! ..that can be annoying, my friend gave my daughter 2
sugar gliders... OMG soo cute we gave thm back after 1 week as they were so noisy at night my kid couldnt sleep at all, and was falling asleep at school! .

RW
gypsie_spiryt

QUOTE 6/5/2006 1:29:13 PM
What about a non-furred pet? I have had guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, snakes, green iguanas, dessert iguanas, geckos, tree frogs, pygmy goat, dogs and cats, mice, and fish. My parents had a lop-ear rabbit too. I guess it really depends on what you want in a pet. Good Luck and enjoy your new pet when you get it.
thminis

QUOTE 6/5/2006 2:17:29 PM
It all depends IMO...I either had a hamster that would bite too when I was younger, we gave him to our cousins b/c me and my brother were too young to care properly for it.

My best friend growing up had two dwarf bunnies, i've never seen a larger rabbit( the floppy eared ones) but I would think they are a better pick. The dwarf bunnies were definetly more skiddish and seemed to just like to run around and poop. But like I said, i've never had contact with a floppy eared bunny( sorry for the lack of a better term.)One BIG thing with rabbits though, is do not keep a male and female together. When people refer to rabbits reproducing like there is no tomorrow(any one seen that VISA comercial they used to play on tv?), they are not joking. My friend's rabbits were a male and female, and the female had a total of three births. You think my friend would have learned, but she didn't. The first birth the baby bunny died b/c instead of having four babies(the average for a dwarf bunny) it had one big one that couldn't get all the way of the birth canal. The second time the rabbit had 5 babies and one died b/c there were too many. The third time was worse b/c the rabbit got out of the yard and came back pregnant. The rabbit was sold while pregnant for the third time.

It was like puppy milling for rabbits, but I was way to young to comprehend it all b/c my friend was at least 2 years older than me.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 6/5/2006 2:30:17 PM

Quote bpies4:

oh well... maybe I should explain.I am supposedly getting a pet after the summer no... not A dog My mom thinks a rabbit might be good...I do too but I still want to ask those more experienced than me.I already had a hamster.He nipped a lot.... I loved him though so .I don't like getting nipped that much.I also want a pet that can stand a little hot weather,not that much.My mom can't stand rats and guinea pigs.I like them, no offense rat and pigsie luvers. So help me dicide between the two choices. Thanks
Both can be nippers, depending on how young they are when you get them and how much time you spend handling them. You can tame them. I perfer Rabbits myself. However its important you have the space for one and you buy a big enough hutch. I often seem rabbits squished in little cages to live their whole lives. It breaks my heart. X-pens are great to take your rabbit outside to get some air and streatch its legs. You should also read up on what they need to eat. A lifetime of pellets alone in my opinon is not a good idea.

Its also very important to keep the cage and hutch clean so your rabbit doesn't get sick.

Before you buy either you should check out how much food, litter and so on will cost each month. It may be more than you think. I spend around $25.00 a month on my cavy.
Post Reply New Topic