White and albino Dobermans (and other breeds)

White and albino Dobermans (and other breeds)

_wolf_

QUOTE 4/29/2006 7:41:26 PM
I know this has probably been discussed before, but is there a difference between white Dobermans (and Rottweilers) and albino ones? Do "white" ones often have the same problems that albino ones do?
emlee3

QUOTE 4/29/2006 7:47:57 PM

Quote _wolf_:

I know this has probably been discussed before, but is there a difference between white Dobermans (and Rottweilers) and albino ones? Do "white" ones often have the same problems that albino ones do?
i heard of these white dobermans on this forum before. i've never seen one before. if you have a pic post it..if it's white i would assume it would be albino since i don't think rott's and dobermans are suppose to be in that color...if it is albino then they would have sensitivity to light since their eyes would be a lighter color and since they have short hair would have problems w/ their skins...i dunno just my opinion.
maryanddobes

QUOTE 4/29/2006 8:57:33 PM

Quote _wolf_:

"White" Dobermans are tyrosinase positive albinos. Albinism is a condition, not a colour.

I've never heard of that condition in rottweilers.

There are white dogs that are not albinos - for eg. samoyeds, west highland white terriers, great pyrenees, etc. Those white dogs have normal pigmentation. They have black pads, black noses, etc. Albinos Dobermans do not.
doggypassion

QUOTE 4/29/2006 9:02:33 PM
http://www.whitedobermans.chessman21.com/white%20doberman%20male%201.JPG
_wolf_

QUOTE 4/29/2006 9:19:01 PM

Quote maryanddobes:

"White" Dobermans are tyrosinase positive albinos. Albinism is a condition, not a colour.

I've never heard of that condition in rottweilers.

There are white dogs that are not albinos - for eg. samoyeds, west highland white terriers, great pyrenees, etc. Those white dogs have normal pigmentation. They have black pads, black noses, etc. Albinos Dobermans do not.
Samoyeds and those other breeds are supposed to be white, that's why they're fine. I meant dogs that usually are not white at all, like Dobermans. I think someone on another thread said that "white" Dobes are really a silver-ish color.

I don't have a pic, I was mainly asking because I saw an ad in the paper for white, blue-eyed Dobes. I can't find a pic of an albino Rottweiler, but I think it happens sometimes.
kally2000

QUOTE 4/29/2006 9:23:44 PM
that one looks albino to me, I believe I have seen a white doberman, not albino and if I remember right it was white but the dobie markings were i darker color almost blond/yellow. I have no idea what made it mix or what.
christyut

QUOTE 4/29/2006 10:39:36 PM
The dogbreedinfo site shows a few albino dobes ont the dobe page.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/doberman.htm
Check out the photo pages at the bottom
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 4/29/2006 10:43:25 PM
White Dobermans ARE ALBINO. Do not let irresponsible breeders who breed for so called "white" dobermans tell you that they are a rare color, and charge you more. As Mary said it is a GENETIC CONDITION not a color. No such thing as a white doberman, none. DO not be fooled by people's advertisements, all they want is money.

I have never heard of an albino rottie, but have heard of red rotties.
kally2000

QUOTE 4/29/2006 11:12:54 PM

Quote dobiegurl313:

White Dobermans ARE ALBINO. Do not let irresponsible breeders who breed for so called "white" dobermans tell you that they are a rare color, and charge you more. As Mary said it is a GENETIC CONDITION not a color. No such thing as a white doberman, none. DO not be fooled by people's advertisements, all they want is money.

albino is without pigmentation meaning pink eyes pads, nose etc.. somewhere I saw a doberman looking dog that was white with darker white almost palimino doberman patches. with a black nose and paws. I have no idea the parentage of this dog, it is just one of thousands of dogs i have seen in my life. I never even spoke to the owner. Again it had all the classic looks and markings of a doberman just in different shades of white and cream. If it was albino and they can have black pads nose etc then that must have been what it was Also it had blue eyes i remember that.
_wolf_

QUOTE 4/29/2006 11:26:49 PM

Quote dobiegurl313:

That's what I was thinking when I saw this ad in the paper. It's sad that someone is selling them.
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 4/29/2006 11:32:16 PM

Quote kally2000:

albino is without pigmentation meaning pink eyes pads, nose etc.. somewhere I saw a doberman looking dog that was white with darker white almost palimino doberman patches. with a black nose and paws. I have no idea the parentage of this dog, it is just one of thousands of dogs i have seen in my life. I never even spoke to the owner. Again it had all the classic looks and markings of a doberman just in different shades of white and cream. If it was albino and they can have black pads nose etc then that must have been what it was Also it had blue eyes i remember that.
Yes, a Doberman can be albino and still have the traditional markings, just means that the albino gene is not as strong. Any dog produced from an albino Dobie that carries the gene (rather than portraying it) goes under the "z" list warning owners that that dog may produce albino offspring. A dobie that is actually albino or carries the gene should not be bred because it will create more defected Dobermans and make the situation worse.

There is no such thing as a "white" doberman, they are genetically defected (although they should still be loved) and albino.
emlee3

QUOTE 4/29/2006 11:32:39 PM

Quote dobiegurl313:

i don't like the fact that people are trying to sell these "rare" albino animals. they do this w/ white tigers also...my bf told me that because white tigers are albino zoo's pays a lot of money to have them..because its a recessive gene it takes like 10 or more regular tigers to get one white tiger. i don't know if thats true but thats what my bf told me. it's okay to have an albino animal it's just wrong to constantly breed animals just for an albino.
_wolf_

QUOTE 4/29/2006 11:40:29 PM

Quote emlee3:

i don't like the fact that people are trying to sell these "rare" albino animals. they do this w/ white tigers also...my bf told me that because white tigers are albino zoo's pays a lot of money to have them..because its a recessive gene it takes like 10 or more regular tigers to get one white tiger. i don't know if thats true but thats what my bf told me. it's okay to have an albino animal it's just wrong to constantly breed animals just for an albino.
So you could breed two white tigers and get orange babies?
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 4/29/2006 11:42:05 PM

Quote emlee3:

These irresonsible BYB's are decieving people and tricking them into believeing that albino dogs are rare, instead of genetically defected. I agree, that these dogs should be loved and care for, its not their fault someone is greedy for money. If I ever came across an albino dobie (as a rescue) I would take him/her, but to breed a dog with a genetic desease is rediculous.
_wolf_

QUOTE 4/29/2006 11:48:37 PM

Quote dobiegurl313:

These irresonsible BYB's are decieving people and tricking them into believeing that albino dogs are rare, instead of genetically defected. I agree, that these dogs should be loved and care for, its not their fault someone is greedy for money. If I ever came across an albino dobie (as a rescue) I would take him/her, but to breed a dog with a genetic desease is rediculous.
I think that some of these BYBs may not even know that the white Dobes are unhealthy. I'm also curious about how the litter (in the ad that's mentioned) is all-white. That's the impression I got, since it didn't mention other colors. They must have bred two other whites.
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 4/30/2006 12:11:27 AM

Quote _wolf_:

Yes, the same is possible when breeding Dobies, you can get more than one color in one litter, it depends on the genetics.
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 4/30/2006 12:15:13 AM

Quote _wolf_:

I think that some of these BYBs may not even know that the white Dobes are unhealthy. I'm also curious about how the litter (in the ad that's mentioned) is all-white. That's the impression I got, since it didn't mention other colors. They must have bred two other whites.
They probably didn't mention the other color/colors because they want to see how much money they can make off the white ones. They are doing that to stand out because when looking at a newspaper ad and you see black dobie, red dobie, black dobie, black dobie, fawn dobie, fawn dobie, red dobie and then all of a sudden you see WHITE DOBERMAN and the ad just screams for attention. They are not stupid, they know that they will not draw any attention if they used the other colors and will not be seen special by any of those who look at the newspaper ad.
emlee3

QUOTE 4/30/2006 12:24:40 AM

Quote _wolf_:

okay so i did some research on the white tigers. actually they are NOT albino..because if they were they would have no stripes. i guess my bf was wrong...haha i guess i can call him out now
rescuewench

QUOTE 4/30/2006 1:56:38 AM
agreed abuot the white dobies.. and they should NOT EVER breed any dobies with the Z factor ..they really need to stop producing the albinos.

BUT there are white GSD' & white boxers BOTH are NOT allowd by standard and are culled in europe , but they are NOT ALBINOS- they are white in color only.

and not RARE either. and yes they are always promoted as "RARE".. to sell them to people that dont know any better.

26 percent of boxers born in US are white MANY are deaf - ( not all) i own a rescued white boxer( spayed) one blue eye one brown - not deaf i fostered a white all deaf boxer ( some are unilaterally deaf some are bi latererally deaf) some arent deaf at all.

in the white GSD's, i owned one before- she was an excellent working dog..( spayed) - and i havent heard of excessive deafness in the white GSd's . she was a bit more allergic to fleas, and so is my white boxer- they both seemed to have a higher allergy problem. i dont know if that is common.
and the boxers especially - are prone to sunburn if out in high sun for too long.- never saw a whte GSD get sunburned tho- but they have a MUCH heavier coat.
maryanddobes

QUOTE 4/30/2006 12:53:46 PM

Quote kally2000:

As I mentioned, the "white" Dobermans are tyrosinase positive albinos, meaning they have abnormal pigment.

Albino does not automatically mean pink eyes - read up on albinism in general - there are different forms of the condition.

As I've posted before, there is tons of info on the albino Dobermans and the condition of albinism, in general, here
http://www.whitedobes.com
Post Reply New Topic