Puppy names

Puppy names

bpies4

QUOTE 4/15/2006 8:57:25 AM
Hi guys, I'm getting an actual puppy in a few months(ok.. a year but still amazing after3 years of research!)I know this is early to ask, but i really dont know what kind of names are goood for a pup.It's probably going to be a cavalier king or mix. Does someone have any names?Oh.. and how do you train a pup or an adult not to bark. and bite.Thanx
funnybunny

QUOTE 4/15/2006 9:39:52 AM
I can't really suggest a certain name for a dog that you don't have at the moment. I don't know the dog's personality, what he likes or doesn't like, what exactly he looks like, etc. It's hard to come up with a name without knowing anything about the specific dog.

As for training a dog not to bark, it can be tough and personally, I like it when my dog's bark. I don't want to train that out of them when they could possibly provide protection and alert me if someone or something strange is coming. Obedience classes will be sure to make it easier on you training wise, but without the training being in specifics, it won't completely get rid of the problem. There are items that can stop a dog from barking. I'm not sure of the exact names, however there is the bark collar. Not necessarily the one that shocks the animal, but the one that makes a high pitched sound which controls the barking that only the dog can hear. They also have this in a table top form. NoSkiveez I believe could offer you a better understanding of the bark controller thing

As for biting, you don't know if this dog will have such a problem. Puppy nipping is very common and usually occurs with most puppies, but without knowing about the dogs personality, whether or not he/she is sensitive to certain things, is a little more difficult to train, etc. then I can't really offer any advice on these things. It's tough to say what needs to be done when I don't know the specific circumstances surrounding the dog. I provide dog training services in my area and all of my training techniques change depending on the dog and his/her needs. What I would suggest is when you do get the puppy, enroll him/her in obedience classes. This will definitely help in the long run, and should take care of any puppy nipping behaviors as for puppies, this is usually covered.
apbtlover

QUOTE 4/15/2006 9:49:57 AM

Quote bpies4:

Hi guys, I'm getting an actual puppy in a few months(ok.. a year but still amazing after3 years of research!)I know this is early to ask, but i really dont know what kind of names are goood for a pup.It's probably going to be a cavalier king or mix. Does someone have any names?Oh.. and how do you train a pup or an adult not to bark. and bite.Thanx
here is a site w/some names for you.

http://www.puppydogweb.com/names/single.htm

as for the barking..i agree w/the other poster..i would not teach my dog to not bark completly. We are teaching kloe that it is okay to give a few warning barks but then she must be quiet. Teaching your dog at a young age the command quiet can come in handy later in life!
puppyhelp99

QUOTE 4/15/2006 2:32:50 PM

Quote funnybunny:

I can't really suggest a certain name for a dog that you don't have at the moment. I don't know the dog's personality, what he likes or doesn't like, what exactly he looks like, etc. It's hard to come up with a name without knowing anything about the specific dog.

As for training a dog not to bark, it can be tough and personally, I like it when my dog's bark. I don't want to train that out of them when they could possibly provide protection and alert me if someone or something strange is coming. Obedience classes will be sure to make it easier on you training wise, but without the training being in specifics, it won't completely get rid of the problem. There are items that can stop a dog from barking. I'm not sure of the exact names, however there is the bark collar. Not necessarily the one that shocks the animal, but the one that makes a high pitched sound which controls the barking that only the dog can hear. They also have this in a table top form. NoSkiveez I believe could offer you a better understanding of the bark controller thing

As for biting, you don't know if this dog will have such a problem. Puppy nipping is very common and usually occurs with most puppies, but without knowing about the dogs personality, whether or not he/she is sensitive to certain things, is a little more difficult to train, etc. then I can't really offer any advice on these things. It's tough to say what needs to be done when I don't know the specific circumstances surrounding the dog. I provide dog training services in my area and all of my training techniques change depending on the dog and his/her needs. What I would suggest is when you do get the puppy, enroll him/her in obedience classes. This will definitely help in the long run, and should take care of any puppy nipping behaviors as for puppies, this is usually covered.
puppyhelp99

QUOTE 4/15/2006 5:59:19 PM
bump
jboth91

QUOTE 4/15/2006 11:55:49 PM
I like Elvis. I don't know why though. and no its not because of Presly. i just like that name for a dog.
bpies4

QUOTE 4/16/2006 6:17:15 AM

Quote funnybunny:

Well my mom doesn't like it a lot!
bpies4

QUOTE 3/30/2012 9:07:17 AM
hm
administrator

QUOTE 3/30/2012 9:12:50 PM

Quote bpies4:

hm
Welcome back after 6 years! Did you find a dog?
anilacsa

QUOTE 4/3/2012 9:47:33 PM
I agree with Funnybunny about the barking, dogs were meant to bark for a reason and you should be aware of it when they do bark, but biting...here's one suggestion.  I taught Mushu (my shih tzu) when he was getting in that age of wanting to do "make love" to everyone's leg or arm when he got a chance, I stopped him by giving him a stuffed animal and it eliminated that problem and he instinctively kept going for the stuff animal. Try the same concept when he starts biting...give him a chew toy when he starts to bite Dogs are intelligent they'll know you want him to chew on the toy and nobody else. 
Post Reply New Topic