Parvo

Parvo

rick8021

QUOTE 4/8/2006 11:39:18 PM
I have a question that I would love to get breeders respones to.I recently had a friend who contacted me about 2 german shepherd puppies that he had sold that had parvo.Now when the puppy's were shipped neither he nor the vet knew the puppy had parvo.The first customer contacted him 4 days after purchase to let him know.He then had the lady send him vet info from her vet stating that the puppy did have parvo and had had it for about 10 days.The vet bill was $375 and he refunded the lady every penny.But the next customer contacted him 7 days later to let him know the puppy she had got from him had parvo as well.He then told the lady that one other puppy he had sold had parvo but neither he or his vet had any knowledge of it.She spent over $10,000 to treat this puppy.None of the other 9 puppies had parvo and are doing very well.I want to know what breeders think about this and what do you guys think the best way to handle this is.Jake which is my friends name is really stressing out because this lady is calling him at least 2-3 times a day wondering when he is going to pay the $10,000.He cant afford it not even close.The lady paid $475 for the dog and picked it up locally.Now she is wanting the vet bills paid in full.Please someone tell me what they would do if they were in his shoes.I told him that I have no ideal what I would have done.Thanks for taking time to read my story.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/9/2006 9:50:58 AM

Quote rick8021:

I have a question that I would love to get breeders respones to.I recently had a friend who contacted me about 2 german shepherd puppies that he had sold that had parvo.Now when the puppy's were shipped neither he nor the vet knew the puppy had parvo.The first customer contacted him 4 days after purchase to let him know.He then had the lady send him vet info from her vet stating that the puppy did have parvo and had had it for about 10 days.The vet bill was $375 and he refunded the lady every penny.But the next customer contacted him 7 days later to let him know the puppy she had got from him had parvo as well.He then told the lady that one other puppy he had sold had parvo but neither he or his vet had any knowledge of it.She spent over $10,000 to treat this puppy.None of the other 9 puppies had parvo and are doing very well.I want to know what breeders think about this and what do you guys think the best way to handle this is.Jake which is my friends name is really stressing out because this lady is calling him at least 2-3 times a day wondering when he is going to pay the $10,000.He cant afford it not even close.The lady paid $475 for the dog and picked it up locally.Now she is wanting the vet bills paid in full.Please someone tell me what they would do if they were in his shoes.I told him that I have no ideal what I would have done.Thanks for taking time to read my story.
Well, first of all he should have an lawyer, then I'd ask, did he sell the puppies with a health guarantee? If so what did it cover? If he shipped these puppies out of the same airport the parvo could have been picked up there. Which is a risk in shipping and frankly not the fault of the breeder. Since none of the other puppies got parvo I would say there's a good chance the dogs got infected at the airport. Second I would ask what you friend has told the lady? Has he agreed to take responsibility for the bills? I hope not. Since he set a precident by paying the other owner the cost of the puppy than I think he will have to pay the cost of this puppy. I do not feel he needs to pay the 10grand. The buyer desided on their own to try and save a puppy they knew (because the vets told them I'm sure) may not make it. They could have put the puppy down for under fifty dollars. I know that seems harsh but if they couldn't afford the bill they shouldn't have run one up.

Have him get a lawyer, because he needs to be protected and know what the laws are. I find it hard to believe at the end of the day he will have to pay more than just the puppy fee back.
motile1

QUOTE 4/9/2006 12:35:04 PM

Quote maoseger1010:

Well, first of all he should have an lawyer, then I'd ask, did he sell the puppies with a health guarantee? If so what did it cover? If he shipped these puppies out of the same airport the parvo could have been picked up there. Which is a risk in shipping and frankly not the fault of the breeder. Since none of the other puppies got parvo I would say there's a good chance the dogs got infected at the airport. Second I would ask what you friend has told the lady? Has he agreed to take responsibility for the bills? I hope not. Since he set a precident by paying the other owner the cost of the puppy than I think he will have to pay the cost of this puppy. I do not feel he needs to pay the 10grand. The buyer desided on their own to try and save a puppy they knew (because the vets told them I'm sure) may not make it. They could have put the puppy down for under fifty dollars. I know that seems harsh but if they couldn't afford the bill they shouldn't have run one up.

Have him get a lawyer, because he needs to be protected and know what the laws are. I find it hard to believe at the end of the day he will have to pay more than just the puppy fee back.
well first of all ithat they must have got the parvo at the airport and secondly you don`t have two sick puppies with parvo and the rest without also i think that your friend has been very generous with the first buyer. and i think the second buyer is trying to take advantage with the vet bill, over here in England you have to be the sole responsible owner of that puppy that means that the vet fee`s are your responsibility and not the breeder
mja1103

QUOTE 4/9/2006 12:41:14 PM
If your friend had a contract it would be helpful to know what was specifically covered in it. What did the health guarantee cover and for how long? What were the terms as far as refunding? Who would be responsible for veterinary care? For example: If he had in the contract that he was not responsible for accidents or illness NOT contracted on his property or in his care.
dusty082155

QUOTE 4/10/2006 1:43:26 AM

Quote motile1:

well first of all ithat they must have got the parvo at the airport and secondly you don`t have two sick puppies with parvo and the rest without also i think that your friend has been very generous with the first buyer. and i think the second buyer is trying to take advantage with the vet bill, over here in England you have to be the sole responsible owner of that puppy that means that the vet fee`s are your responsibility and not the breeder
not true. i had a litter of gsd pups. they had all had their second set of shots when the largest puppy got sick. we took him to the vet immediatly. diagnosis was parvo. the pups were 8 weeks old. we kept them until they were 16 weeks and we were sure that the other 4 pups did not have the disease. harley was the only pup out of 5 to contract it. he was a very sick little boy and we came close to losing him. he spent a week in the vet hospital, under 24 hour care. he is now ten years old and a beloved family member.
puppy_please

QUOTE 4/10/2006 1:51:30 AM
Im sorry and most of you probably know but what's parvo?
dusty082155

QUOTE 4/10/2006 3:49:43 AM
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&articleid=467

http://www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm
tackledog

QUOTE 4/10/2006 10:49:54 AM
Well, from recent experience, I bought a puppy, and it had a 48 hour guarantee, within that time, I the puppy I bought had blood in its stool, so I immidiatley called the breeder and she said it was nerves, (it was on a Fri) First thing Monday I took him to the vet and he ate a little baby food but to make a long story short he stopped eating and the next thursday he had all the signs of Parvo and I ended up spending over $200 on vet bill well he died Thursday. It was my choice to do what they could to save the puppy, however, I sure wouldnt have spent $10,000 on a puppy I only had a week or so, Well I called the breeder and All I asked for, was the money back on the puppy, Not the vet bills, which ended up being the same price, so I was stilll out that money and had no puppy, I cant beleive someone would spend THAT much on a puppy they only had 4 days. She should have contacted your friend BEFORE she made the decision to spend this much, I dont think the lady has a snowball's chance in hell of getting her money back, UNLESS he has given her a guarantee stateting he would pay for any vet bill etc., my guarantee didnt even cover parvo, but she gave me my money back anyway (for the puppy). Of course it took a little pursuasion, but she did.
rick8021

QUOTE 4/10/2006 3:05:10 PM
I want to thank everyone for there response.As far as health guarantee he told them he offered a 2 year health guarantee on his displasia only.So he never said he would cover any vet bills but he doesent want to cheat anyone and make them feel like he sent a sick puppy out.He nor the vet know the puppy had parvo when it was shipped.So i guess my next question is since he didnt offer a health guarantee what should he do next with the lady who wants the $10,000 paid in full.Just ignore her or offer her a refund for the price she paid for the puppy.
Thanks
shay05

QUOTE 4/10/2006 4:34:05 PM

Quote rick8021:

I want to thank everyone for there response.As far as health guarantee he told them he offered a 2 year health guarantee on his displasia only.So he never said he would cover any vet bills but he doesent want to cheat anyone and make them feel like he sent a sick puppy out.He nor the vet know the puppy had parvo when it was shipped.So i guess my next question is since he didnt offer a health guarantee what should he do next with the lady who wants the $10,000 paid in full.Just ignore her or offer her a refund for the price she paid for the puppy.
Thanks
has he tried negotiating with her? She wants the whole $10,000?? I say he should follow his contract. If he doesn't cover parvo, then he doesn't have to give her anything. But if he doesn't wanna leave a bad taste in her mouth, maybe they can work something out like half...? Replacement puppy?
loveablepuppies

QUOTE 4/10/2006 4:40:20 PM

Quote shay05:

has he tried negotiating with her? She wants the whole $10,000?? I say he should follow his contract. If he doesn't cover parvo, then he doesn't have to give her anything. But if he doesn't wanna leave a bad taste in her mouth, maybe they can work something out like half...? Replacement puppy?
To be honest I wouldn't offer her anything specially where non of the other puppies in the litter had Parvo. That is one thing about the Parvo virus it infects quickly. If the other two puppies had it before they left the breeders home there is no way those other puppies wouldn't of caught that virus. So I think it is a freak accident that some how those other two puppies caught the virus from some where besides the breeders home.
I think any way you handle this that lady isn't going to be happy so I would tell her to pound salt. She bought the dog, she decided to proceed and charge up her vet bill it is her responsibility. Like someone else mentioned in an earlier statement if she couldn't afford the Vet bills she shouldn't of let the vet go ahead.
GOOD LUCK!!!
dusty082155

QUOTE 4/10/2006 4:53:00 PM
first off. i would want a copy of the vet bill. i can not believe that the bill would come to that amount. major surgeries do not run that high. my gsd spent a week in the vet hospital for parvo. his bill was a little over 500.00 . but 10,000 ? come on here. there is a scam going on here. and i would demand proof. your friend needs to verify all the facts. be sure that the bill is even from a real vet and for that perticular dog. its sad if the dog really died. he needs to find out what vet she went to. dont call any number she provides. look it up so that you know you are actually calling the vet and not someone posing as him. i bet he will find out that she is not telling the truth here. 10,000 for parvo treatment is ridiculous.
motile1

QUOTE 4/11/2006 10:02:51 AM

Quote loveablepuppies:

To be honest I wouldn't offer her anything specially where non of the other puppies in the litter had Parvo. That is one thing about the Parvo virus it infects quickly. If the other two puppies had it before they left the breeders home there is no way those other puppies wouldn't of caught that virus. So I think it is a freak accident that some how those other two puppies caught the virus from some where besides the breeders home.
I think any way you handle this that lady isn't going to be happy so I would tell her to pound salt. She bought the dog, she decided to proceed and charge up her vet bill it is her responsibility. Like someone else mentioned in an earlier statement if she couldn't afford the Vet bills she shouldn't of let the vet go ahead.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Parvo virus it does infect quickly but don`t forget vet`s have been known too misdiagnose parvo when it`s a bad case of gastroenteritis as known through experience.as parvo is gastro on speed as quoted by a vet
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/11/2006 10:10:59 AM

Quote rick8021:

Thanks
I'm not sure ignoring this person will make it go away. Get a lawyer, I know their not free but they won't cost 10 grand either. Tell this person you will no longer talk to them and they need to contact your attorney. If these claims for 10 grand are bogus that will make them go away pretty fast.
motile1

QUOTE 4/11/2006 10:14:42 AM

Quote dusty082155:

not true. i had a litter of gsd pups. they had all had their second set of shots when the largest puppy got sick. we took him to the vet immediatly. diagnosis was parvo. the pups were 8 weeks old. we kept them until they were 16 weeks and we were sure that the other 4 pups did not have the disease. harley was the only pup out of 5 to contract it. he was a very sick little boy and we came close to losing him. he spent a week in the vet hospital, under 24 hour care. he is now ten years old and a beloved family member.
are you sure that it was parvo and not a very bad case of gastroenteritis? because they are quite similar
tackledog

QUOTE 4/11/2006 10:16:45 AM
I wouldnt offer her squat either. Except the money back on the puppy. An follow his own health guarantee, Let her take him to court she'll loose! That IS outrageous, a $10,000 bills is CRAZT money, Even to spend on a dog you've had a long time, that takes serious consideration to spend that kind of money on a pet, especially if it had parvo!! the chances of a puppy surviving parvo are slim, it happens, but not likely. I was told by my vet that early signs of parvo cannot always be detected in its early stages. But that doesnt mean he got it BEFORE he ship them out. They could get it ANYWHERE!!!! I would tell him to ignore her, and tell that lady to step off, it sounds like she's harrassing him and he could get compensation for that!! I mean $10,000 is a lot of money and debt collectors are not even suppose to call you everyday about a debt, it harrassment.
motile1

QUOTE 4/11/2006 10:18:44 AM

Quote maoseger1010:

I'm not sure ignoring this person will make it go away. Get a lawyer, I know their not free but they won't cost 10 grand either. Tell this person you will no longer talk to them and they need to contact your attorney. If these claims for 10 grand are bogus that will make them go away pretty fast.
offer them their money back or another puppy but don`t offer to pay the vet fee it`s not your responsability
loveablepuppies1

QUOTE 4/11/2006 12:38:01 PM

Quote motile1:

Parvo virus it does infect quickly but don`t forget vet`s have been known too misdiagnose parvo when it`s a bad case of gastroenteritis as known through experience.as parvo is gastro on speed as quoted by a vet
Speaking from experience years ago I had a lady tell me a puppy she had bought from me died of Parvo. She had only had it 5 days and I was scared to death because she insisted it came from my home. I had the litter mate tested and it was negative he didn't have Parvo.
I asked her if a Parvo test had been done, she said no the Vet was sure it was Parvo. When a neocropsy was done the puppy had injested some poison which caused him to bleed from the bum.
dusty082155

QUOTE 4/11/2006 12:55:37 PM
yes. i am sure that harley had parvo. my regular vet tested him and sent us to a verterinary hospital that had a high parvo survival rate. and it is true that there may only be a few puppies , even just one affected out of a litter and others not. it is not a true statement to say that if one puppy contracts the disease, they all will. just wanted to state the facts.

There is no question that only part of a litter of puppies can be affected
by parvovirus, including only one puppy, if that is really the
situation. This is why:

Puppies do not have antibodies to diseases, except in very small amounts, from
their mother while in the uterus, like members of some species (humans, for
instance). Antibodies to protect against disease are passed from the
mother to the puppies through the first milk produced, called the
colostrum. Puppies can only absorb antibodies for the first 24 to 36 hours
of life. After that, they can no longer absorb antibodies.

There are a number of ways that this process of passing on antibodies can
fail. The puppy may not nurse the first day of life. The mother may self
nurse or leak colostrum, using it up. The puppy may be the last puppy to
nurse and the antibody containing colostrum may have been used up by the
other puppies. So one puppy may have very good protection against
parvovirus, while another puppy has little or no protection. Over time,
the maternal antibodies are broken down, used up or otherwise rendered
inactive by the puppy. As this protection wears off, the puppy becomes
susceptible to the disease.

continued........
dusty082155

QUOTE 4/11/2006 12:56:00 PM
The reason that a series of vaccinations is given is due to the way
antibody protection wears off. When the first vaccinations are given,
usually around 6 weeks of age, only 10 to 25% of the puppies have lost
maternal antibody protection. ONLY these puppies are protected by the
vaccination. In the others, the maternal immunity destroys the vaccine
virus so the puppy does not develop immunity to it. At 9 weeks of age,
probably 50 to 75% of puppies have lost maternal protection to parvovirus.
So this time, most puppies are protected by the vaccine but 25% or more
still have enough maternal antibody to interfere with the vaccine. Finally,
at twelve weeks of age, most puppies can be protected by the new parvovirus
vaccines. With older vaccines, it may be sixteen or even twenty weeks of
age before the vaccine is effective since it is not as capable of
overcoming maternal immunity.

That is why one puppy in a litter, or part of a litter, can develop
parvovirus, while others do not.

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dparvo.html
Post Reply New Topic