Pulling grass out of my dogs bum!!!

Pulling grass out of my dogs bum!!!

puglet

QUOTE 1/24/2006 1:57:05 PM
Serious question
my pug eats the odd mouthful of grass when i take him outside. when i take him to the park for a walk and he squats to do a poo sometimes he stays squating cause ther is some poo hanging from grass sticking out of his bum SORRY!! i know im being graphic but its true.
i then have to get a leaf or plastic bag thats lying about and pull the poo with attatched grass out of his bum - embarrasing!!!
it also happens with my hair. i dont see him eating them but he must get the odd hair off the floor and the same thing happens.
what i wanted to ask, is should i stop him eating grass and also why does he not digest it?
also has this happened to anyone else?? lol
suebgone

QUOTE 1/24/2006 4:28:38 PM
Why would you have to look for something to grasp it with? Don't you have bags with you to pick up the poop?

Yes, I'm sure we have all experienced this at some time. Since grass is not digestable it is best not to let him eat any. Of course they will always try.
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 1/24/2006 5:26:30 PM
Yea I used to have that problem with my Chihuahuas and my own hairs in "the mess." I guess just do your best to not let him eat the grass, and I think the hair is probably inevitable.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 1/24/2006 7:46:28 PM

Quote puglet:

Serious question
my pug eats the odd mouthful of grass when i take him outside. when i take him to the park for a walk and he squats to do a poo sometimes he stays squating cause ther is some poo hanging from grass sticking out of his bum SORRY!! i know im being graphic but its true.
i then have to get a leaf or plastic bag thats lying about and pull the poo with attatched grass out of his bum - embarrasing!!!
it also happens with my hair. i dont see him eating them but he must get the odd hair off the floor and the same thing happens.
what i wanted to ask, is should i stop him eating grass and also why does he not digest it?
also has this happened to anyone else?? lol
My first question is why does your dog feel the need to eat the grass in the first place? I've been told some dogs eat grass when they have an upset stomack to make themselves vomit. I would talk to your vet about this and see if there is something elce going on.
rambaldi1

QUOTE 1/25/2006 1:32:50 AM
Lots of dogs eat grass. They do it when they feel ill or when they're hungry. Then you get the odd strange dog that just likes it.
Make sure you're feeding your dog enough. If you haven't already, split your dog's meals into two or three feeds a day.
All three of my dogs will eat grass if they don't get their morning feed.
And the hair thing. It's gross but it happens. I have long hair so you can imagine what it looks like when there's a piece dangling from a long strand of hair!
puglet

QUOTE 1/25/2006 9:10:34 AM

Quote rambaldi1:

Lots of dogs eat grass. They do it when they feel ill or when they're hungry. Then you get the odd strange dog that just likes it.
Make sure you're feeding your dog enough. If you haven't already, split your dog's meals into two or three feeds a day.
All three of my dogs will eat grass if they don't get their morning feed.
And the hair thing. It's gross but it happens. I have long hair so you can imagine what it looks like when there's a piece dangling from a long strand of hair!
yeah, he doent eat grass that often, sometimes when its just been cut he grabs a mouthful and goes running about with it in his mouth. he is also a total eating machine he would eat until he burst. he gets two feeds a day and a couple of treats so his feeds are well enough spaced out.
ps i have long hair as well -its not a prety sight!
the main reason i asked was to see if it happended to anyone else -at least i know im not alone!!
anasazi

QUOTE 1/25/2006 12:01:47 PM
In one of my Westie books, the author siad that some dogs will eat grass because they just want some salad. She suggested that when your dog eats grass is to add a little shredded cabbage to their food and that should take care of their desire to eat grass.

I, too, have found strings from toys hanging out of my dogs rearend.. When I had a cat, many years ago, I used to see rubber bands.. I have no idea where she found them.
christyut

QUOTE 1/25/2006 2:20:17 PM
My old cat used to eat those icycles you put on your christmas tree. You would see this shimmering behind the cat and there one would be, hanging out of his butt!! I have long hair too and I have seen my dogs eat it, but I have never noticed it hanging out of their butt. I have pulled them out of Sissy's throat though.
puglet

QUOTE 1/25/2006 2:21:44 PM

Quote anasazi:

In one of my Westie books, the author siad that some dogs will eat grass because they just want some salad. She suggested that when your dog eats grass is to add a little shredded cabbage to their food and that should take care of their desire to eat grass.

I, too, have found strings from toys hanging out of my dogs rearend.. When I had a cat, many years ago, I used to see rubber bands.. I have no idea where she found them.
rubber bands and xmas tree decorations- lol- i should think myself lucky!!
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 1/25/2006 2:50:38 PM

Quote puglet:

rubber bands and xmas tree decorations- lol- i should think myself lucky!!
I used to find chunks of crayons in my Chihuahua's terds now that I think about it. And now I remember why I blocked out those memories to begin with....
lovemymalti

QUOTE 1/25/2006 4:48:40 PM
Soooo nasty but we have all been there. My dog got a tampon out of the trash. The string was stuck to her and she was pulling it around. Lucky we were in our own yard.
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 1/25/2006 4:56:42 PM

Quote lovemymalti:

Soooo nasty but we have all been there. My dog got a tampon out of the trash. The string was stuck to her and she was pulling it around. Lucky we were in our own yard.
OMG!! That takes the cake!!!

jrue1985

QUOTE 1/25/2006 5:06:36 PM

Quote lovemymalti:

And I thought my dog pooping out plastic from a toy was funny....
rambaldi1

QUOTE 1/26/2006 2:06:31 AM

Quote lovemymalti:

lol, gross!
The worst I've seen with my dogs is marbles. My old Rotty got hold of my brother's marbles and the next day her poo had marbles stuck inside it. It looked pretty weird.
I'm sure it must have felt funny when she was passing them!
puglet

QUOTE 1/26/2006 5:06:59 AM
marbles - lol, now ive heard it all.
foxfire_ga79

QUOTE 1/26/2006 11:47:05 AM

Quote puglet:

marbles - lol, now ive heard it all.
I've heard of marbles before, and pennies. Once upon a time many many years ago, my grandmother lost her botton dentures and was just positive that my dog had eaten them. She went out every day for a week to check for "evidence" before finally finding them in her jacket pocket. Woulda been hilarious if she had found what she was looking for outside.
noskiveez

QUOTE 1/30/2006 12:29:38 PM
We have the hair issue, I shed more than the dogs. We have found some pretty amazing stuff in poop. Legos, marbles, GI Joes arm (or maybe it was a leg) crayon pieces. and once Rico when he was about 7 months old got in to the closet and ate a diaper (it was a new one) and he pooped the jelly stuff for two days. It was actually very scary because the Jelly in diapers swell and we worried about intestinal blockages. But according to Animal poison control the vet contacted, diaper gelly is non toxic but can cause blockages. We wer lucky he was okay though.
Post Reply New Topic