ckc / akc

ckc / akc

ldavis_1968

QUOTE 1/21/2006 7:17:12 AM
I have a akc male basset and didn't realize but I bought ckc(continental) female as a companion, and want to have one litter. I have been an owner of 4 akc bassets for 13 years, and do not understand what the ckc is. Can I register the litter and under what?
gbat1stop

QUOTE 1/21/2006 8:11:11 AM
The new litter can more than likely be registered with the CKC as they will register anything that "appears" to be purebred. The AKC will not register them unless BOTH parents are AKC registered.
funnybunny

QUOTE 1/21/2006 10:17:19 AM
They cannot be AKC registered. They can only be CKC registered. CKC is the Continental Kennel Club. They are a shady registry IMO. They will register anything and everything. They register poodle mixes as purebreds if it resembles one.
pups4abigheart

QUOTE 1/21/2006 5:20:59 PM
NO~The CKC registers Poodle mixes (or any for that matter) as:

MISC: PEKINGESE / POODLE is MISC/PEK-A-POO

"When we register a sufficient number of a particular cross, it will be assigned a name; for example, MISC: PEKINGESE / POODLE is MISC/PEK-A-POO"
There you go
ldavis_1968

QUOTE 1/21/2006 6:18:09 PM

Quote gbat1stop:

The new litter can more than likely be registered with the CKC as they will register anything that "appears" to be purebred. The AKC will not register them unless BOTH parents are AKC registered.
Thanks for the reply, after posted this, I done a little bit of searching on the CKC, and I am not sure I like what I see. This is very disappointing. I am not sure I want to have a litter with Daisy. She is a wonderful dog. I have always had AKC Bassets, I just didn't ask the right questions this time, I just asked if she was registered, assuming she was AKC. Live and Learn, HUH!!
suebgone

QUOTE 1/21/2006 8:53:36 PM
CKC is basically a puppymill registery. Thats who started it.

You really shouldn't even consider breeding ANY dogs without being very familiar with its ancestery - at least a 5 generation pedigree which of course you didn't do.

Believe me there are already enough byb's producing puppies that get dumped in shelters now.
funnybunny

QUOTE 1/21/2006 9:17:03 PM

Quote suebgone:

CKC is basically a puppymill registery. Thats who started it.

You really shouldn't even consider breeding ANY dogs without being very familiar with its ancestery - at least a 5 generation pedigree which of course you didn't do.

Believe me there are already enough byb's producing puppies that get dumped in shelters now.
Even if that was not meant to be rude, it definitely sounded that way.

Also, mixed breeds are not always registered as such. I have seen many mixed breeds in pet stores that have been registered as purebreds, with the CKC. Just because they say they register them as mixes, does not mean they do. You could easily adopt a mix from a shelter that looks like a dalmation considering the black spots, and they will register it as that even if it is mixed with something else. They don't care who they register, as long as they get the 15 dollar registration fee.
mjanddobes

QUOTE 1/21/2006 10:08:37 PM

Quote ldavis_1968:

Thanks for the reply, after posted this, I done a little bit of searching on the CKC, and I am not sure I like what I see. This is very disappointing. I am not sure I want to have a litter with Daisy. She is a wonderful dog. I have always had AKC Bassets, I just didn't ask the right questions this time, I just asked if she was registered, assuming she was AKC. Live and Learn, HUH!!
It's nice to know that you are thinking seriously about breeding before jumping into it. The AKC is just a registry, and it does not guarantee you a good representative of your breed. It is the best registry around, and if a breed recognized by the AKC is NOT registered with them I would be very suspicious of why. The CKC: Continential KC (not to be confused the the Canadian Kennel Club), it the best known of the fly by night registries that could really care less about pedigrees.

I truthfully would spay your girl and love them both. There are just way too many dogs that end up in the shelter to breed without a really good reason for it. Just wanting a litter before spaying a pet is IMHO not a good reason to breed.

Most people who breed a litter never know what happens to them after they leave. Really good breeders keep in touch with puppy buyers for the life of the dog, and will take the dog back at any time if they can't keep it - it is a huge responsibility. Anyone who will not do that, should never breed. My first Doberman was a BYB girl. She died at age 11. After she died, I tracked down the breeder (who I had never had any contact with after the money changed hands), and told her about my dogs life. She told me that out of 11 puppies she had no idea what had happened to any of them beyond the one she kept. I thought that was beyond sad, and wondered how many were abused, dumped into shelters, hit by cars...etc.. I could not live with myself if I bred a litter and never knew what happened to them.

Think carefully about your responsibilites as a breeder before jumping into it. I'm glad that you are doing some research... it is a good sign!
luvzpuppz

QUOTE 1/21/2006 10:12:18 PM
I purchased a pomeranian puppy that is regesterd with the CKC (before I knew the difference between the two - I'd always adopted from shelters before this).

He came from a good breeder who I met with and felt very comfortable with, but I have to be completely honest when I say I have doubts about whether or not he is (a) purebred, or (b) even a pomeranian. I learned my lesson that no matter how nice a breeder is and no matter how well he/she takes care of the dogs, you should only buy from a breeder that shows their dogs.

He looks more like a Japanese Spitz or a Pom/American Eskimo mix.

I don't care because I love him just the way he is, and he is by far the most adorable dog EVER! But I would stick with AKC only.
suebgone

QUOTE 1/21/2006 10:50:24 PM

Quote funnybunny:

Even if that was not meant to be rude, it definitely sounded that way.

Also, mixed breeds are not always registered as such. I have seen many mixed breeds in pet stores that have been registered as purebreds, with the CKC. Just because they say they register them as mixes, does not mean they do. You could easily adopt a mix from a shelter that looks like a dalmation considering the black spots, and they will register it as that even if it is mixed with something else. They don't care who they register, as long as they get the 15 dollar registration fee.
What was rude? A reputable, responsible breeder does all the research on the dogs pedigree & checks for any health problems in the line BEFORE they buy it. A reputable responsible breeder would not buy a CKC registered dog. Obviously she did no research or this could not have happened.

This woman was hoodwinked, no doubt about that. I have seen many people think they were getting an AKC dog because the person said it had "papers" & they assumed papers meant AKC
funnybunny

QUOTE 1/22/2006 3:55:00 AM
Actually, you are wrong there. Ginger is CKC registered, yet I bought her. I bought her from a neglectful owner not planning on breeding her in the beginning. I definitely was a reputable and very responsible breeder. I no longer breed but when I did, I produced wonderful puppies and Ginger is still as healthy as an Ox. She always has been. She fits conformation almost exactly except for the natural ears, has a wonderful temperament, champion bloodlines with the AKC, etc. The CKC is not ideal no, but a reputable and responsible breeder would indeed purchase a dog that is CKC registered. Just for the fact that the CKC is shady, does not mean that the puppies will not be able to be shown, compete in agility, or something to that effect, or even for a pet. They are in it to better the breed overall, not the registry. Of course I would definitely have preferred the AKC, but they can be rather shady themselves. There is not one registry that does not benefit in some way or support huge companies like the AKC does with the Hunte Corporation. The AKC is not the only registry, nor is it the only place where you can show your dog. True, they are better than the CKC, but you can still use the CKC to some extent to better the breed.
ldavis_1968

QUOTE 1/22/2006 8:34:20 AM

Quote mjanddobes:

It's nice to know that you are thinking seriously about breeding before jumping into it. The AKC is just a registry, and it does not guarantee you a good representative of your breed. It is the best registry around, and if a breed recognized by the AKC is NOT registered with them I would be very suspicious of why. The CKC: Continential KC (not to be confused the the Canadian Kennel Club), it the best known of the fly by night registries that could really care less about pedigrees.

I truthfully would spay your girl and love them both. There are just way too many dogs that end up in the shelter to breed without a really good reason for it. Just wanting a litter before spaying a pet is IMHO not a good reason to breed.

Most people who breed a litter never know what happens to them after they leave. Really good breeders keep in touch with puppy buyers for the life of the dog, and will take the dog back at any time if they can't keep it - it is a huge responsibility. Anyone who will not do that, should never breed. My first Doberman was a BYB girl. She died at age 11. After she died, I tracked down the breeder (who I had never had any contact with after the money changed hands), and told her about my dogs life. She told me that out of 11 puppies she had no idea what had happened to any of them beyond the one she kept. I thought that was beyond sad, and wondered how many were abused, dumped into shelters, hit by cars...etc.. I could not live with myself if I bred a litter and never knew what happened to them.

Think carefully about your responsibilites as a breeder before jumping into it. I'm glad that you are doing some research... it is a good sign!
I know it sounded like this is a first time for wanting to have a litter, but I have breed Bassets before. This little girl is my 7th. I have had only three litters with the same sire and dam and they were all a few years apart. The reason I feel she needs to have a litter is I have a 8 year old, also. We had her spayed after her first season. She did not have puppies. We did not want to breed and we were seeing quite a few ads in the area for Bassets, We knew there was an over breeding problem, and so we did our part and had her spayed. The concern I have is I would see our 8 year old very depressed about the time she would go into heat. at least twice a year she had no desire to run and play.Posssibly, her hormones, who know? My thought was she never was able to give to a litter what her mother gave to her. We didn't allow her to mother a brood.
Her mother was also my dog for 15 years. We just lost her last June.
I guess the reason of my thinking, I have watched her flourish with "teaching" and loving the younger ones, and she needed this years ago. She is very active still and after a year of her having the pups around she seems better. Even though she is not theirs, she is a great mother.
And as far as keeping in touch, The first litter I know of where at least 6 of the ten pups are.
I am not new at breeding, but I know there is more to learn, as you can see. The Basset is so much happier with a companion of there own breed. And when you have one that is good tempered and of the standard for the breed. You like to see it passed on. I did not realize what the CKC was. And again I state the breeder did say she was registered. My mistake in assuming she was AKC.
I am a true Basset Hound Lover. I understand this breed and truly enjoy the breed.
I only want to fulfill there lives in any way I can. And in my experience, being a mother is one of them.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 1/22/2006 8:43:59 AM

Quote ldavis_1968:

I understand where your coming from totally. I feel in love with a bulldog puppy and was about the write my check for her when I noticed on her paperwork that she was CKC. The breeder had told me she bred AKC and so I assumed that ment all her dogs were AKC. When I pointed out to her that this pup wasn't AKC she told me "Oh it doesn't really matter" Much to my families disapointment we went home that day without our puppy. I took heat for weeks from my family for not buying her. But at the time we were looking to add a dame to our breeding line and we only bred AKC. I'm sure she would made a wonderful pet but I wasn't paying top "Breeder" dollars for a "Pet" Bulldog.
Good luck and enjoy your Daisy.
ldavis_1968

QUOTE 1/22/2006 8:49:08 AM

Quote suebgone:

What was rude? A reputable, responsible breeder does all the research on the dogs pedigree & checks for any health problems in the line BEFORE they buy it. A reputable responsible breeder would not buy a CKC registered dog. Obviously she did no research or this could not have happened.

This woman was hoodwinked, no doubt about that. I have seen many people think they were getting an AKC dog because the person said it had "papers" & they assumed papers meant AKC
I am not a breeder, I am an owner of Bassets, and wish to fulfill there lives. No I did not do the research, on CKC, I knew nothing about the so called organization. Why would I?
If your mission is to set people off before you know where they are coming from , then you have way to much time on your hands.
Is this site to help others or send them away?
mjanddobes

QUOTE 1/22/2006 8:55:55 AM
Idavis said: "I only want to fulfill there lives in any way I can. And in my experience, being a mother is one of them."

OH MY GOD!!!! This is so not true!! If this is why you want to breed a bitch then stop right now!! Dogs are NOT human and you cannot put human emotions on them. Their reproductive system is totally differenct from ours. A bitch who is spayed and never bred does not "miss" being a mother. Holy Magoly.... this kind of thinking is what makes our shelter numbers swell!! ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!! I truly am speechless!!

I agree that it is good to have a younger dog to keep an older dog active and involved.... it does not need to be a puppy you bred!!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 1/22/2006 10:39:11 AM

Quote mjanddobes:

Idavis said: "I only want to fulfill there lives in any way I can. And in my experience, being a mother is one of them."

OH MY GOD!!!! This is so not true!! If this is why you want to breed a bitch then stop right now!! Dogs are NOT human and you cannot put human emotions on them. Their reproductive system is totally differenct from ours. A bitch who is spayed and never bred does not "miss" being a mother. Holy Magoly.... this kind of thinking is what makes our shelter numbers swell!! ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!! I truly am speechless!!

I agree that it is good to have a younger dog to keep an older dog active and involved.... it does not need to be a puppy you bred!!
Dogs are NOT human and you cannot put human emotions on them. Their reproductive system is totally differenct from ours. A bitch who is spayed and never bred does not "miss" being a mother.

I totally agree! Don't breed a dog because you think she wants to have puppies. If you follow your train of thought and if it were true, can you imagine how devistated she would be when you take her pups from her??? Since we know dogs do just fine after they have weaned their pups unlike a human mother who would be devistated at the loss of her child, we know your are wrong to think a dog cares either way. Please don't add pups to the world just because you can. Shelters are full enough.
loveablepuppies

QUOTE 1/22/2006 2:51:44 PM
Just because they are AKC doesn't mean they are going to be a great Dog or guarantee them to be better. I think if you are just looking for a pet then really any registry is fine. AKC had to start some where just like these other registries. I have Shiba Inus which come from Japan where they orginated so mine are JKC registered. AKC didn't recognize the Shiba until about 10 or so years ago. So if you go off of others theorys of AKC being the best then technically my JKC Dogs would be better then any AKC. But we all know that isn't true so just investigate the breed and standards and see what you find and what you are comfortable with. I have found you can find as many bad AKC forums as you do the other registries forums.
GOOD LUCK
(This is just my oppinion, which everyone is entitled to, so no attacks please)
funnybunny

QUOTE 1/22/2006 9:52:43 PM

Quote loveablepuppies:

Just because they are AKC doesn't mean they are going to be a great Dog or guarantee them to be better. I think if you are just looking for a pet then really any registry is fine. AKC had to start some where just like these other registries. I have Shiba Inus which come from Japan where they orginated so mine are JKC registered. AKC didn't recognize the Shiba until about 10 or so years ago. So if you go off of others theorys of AKC being the best then technically my JKC Dogs would be better then any AKC. But we all know that isn't true so just investigate the breed and standards and see what you find and what you are comfortable with. I have found you can find as many bad AKC forums as you do the other registries forums.
GOOD LUCK
(This is just my oppinion, which everyone is entitled to, so no attacks please)
I have seen some gorgeous dogs registered with the CKC. Just today I saw a Malamute that was much nicer than many of the ones in the Eukanuba dog shows through the AKC.
suebgone

QUOTE 1/22/2006 11:21:10 PM
edited
christin26

QUOTE 1/23/2006 10:20:05 AM
I just wanted to say that CKC will register any dog off the street! Seriously! I won't say what the process is on here in fear of drumming up some bussiness for the CKC, but it's a very simple process. When I heard about it I tried it to see if it was true and to my surprise it is! The dog I got CKC papers for was a pound puppy that had already been spayed, but I was amazed!!!!!
When you hear of a very common breed having CKC papers it sends up a red flag. I could maybe understand if it was a breed not yet recognized by AKC but it makes you wonder why this Bassett Hound has CKC papers instead of AKC.
Your Bassett may be BEAUTIFUL and completely sound and healthy but you have to admit you are not 100% sure of her heritage and she may be a carrier for a few diseases that will effect her offspring. That is why everyone says over and over to do research on bloodlines before you consider breeding, you may accidently open Pandora's Box.
It sounds like you have your bitch's best interest in mind but you also have to consider the offspring.
Christin
Post Reply New Topic