hairless chinese crested- dry, blistered skin

hairless chinese crested- dry, blistered skin

jilebel

QUOTE 1/11/2006 12:09:34 AM
hello- i have a year and a half old male hairless chinese crested (Grady). He has been the most perfect dog since I got him (he was 8 weeks old) The problem I am having is that his neck has gone from slate gray to really dark slate gray practically overnight. No bumps, no sun, and some redness around the edges. his feet are also kind of bumpy are irritated looking. He keeps licking them and I keep telling him not to. Oh- and his ears are really crusty along all the edges,no bumps just crusty and very, very dry. I've read a lot of different things posted here about skin irritations and I can tell you that I don't think its his clothes (he wears only cotton) he hasn't eaten any lamb, no wool clothes, etc. The only thing different is that for Christmas we went from Phoenix to Alburquerque (spelling?) maybe the difference in dryness. I thought Phoenix was dry- Alburquerque was much drier. Are there any skin diseases I'm not aware of, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! JiLebeL text
noskiveez

QUOTE 1/11/2006 11:41:21 AM
Are you from the Phoenix area? I am in Tempe.
I have hairless crested's also (two, 1 male 1 female) and a female puff.

The ear thing. Yes we have that problem too. I actually took my dog into the vet last year to address this. I paid 25 bux for clinic cream. I peeled the label off to discover that it was a tube of hydro cortizone cream. It helped. I also found that neosporin helped it heal faster.

The feet, Are they red bumps? Or are they some what hard and dark colored?

Skin care seems to be a pain in the winter. The Slate to light grey isn't something to worry about. It is something similar to the loss of a sun tan. My dog Rico is Slate also. IN the summer he was Black, and now he is very light slate, almost a silvery color.

Blistery looking skin might be from licking. My male is a licker big time. He had to wear a doggy joggin suit quite often to prevent him from licking.

I have been using Genes on him in the summer, most recently I have been using Nivea, it is seems to work better when the weather is cooler.

jilebel

QUOTE 1/11/2006 1:11:36 PM
I actually live in Phoenix but spend all my time in Tempe at my moms house (by ASU) Thanks so much for the quick and helpful advice! His bumps (on his feet) are definetly hard and dark colored. He has been licking his feet and I have tried to stop him whenever I see him doing it. The ear thing is my biggest concern only because it seems to be worse than it was a week ago. Its just so dry and crusty, probable 3/4 of an inch around the inside of his ear. Should I try Neosporin? His neck has turned really really dark especially in comparison to his back where he has faded some) I just hope its something I can fix as apposed to taking him to the vet. (He hates the vet)!! Do you use any particular type of Nivea? I have the night creme and its really thick. Will this stuff work?

Thanks again for your advice.
noskiveez

QUOTE 1/11/2006 7:08:41 PM
The skin lightening part is not a big concern, he will darken when the summer comes back around. My hairless puppy is also slate and she wears a little sweater and lounges near the sliding glass door and tans herself. You can see a distinction from where the sweater is at and where the sweater ends.

The ears should heal with neosporin. I would put it on his ears 2x a day.

His feet, it sounds like black heads (yep, the pimple things) I have found that using a loofah helps alot.

I use the lotion type of nivea. I have never used the thicker cream, it sees like it would be too hard to rub in. When one of the dogs is really dry I slather it on 2x a day.

jilebel

QUOTE 1/11/2006 7:40:43 PM
Sounds good- I'll try your suggestions. Thank you for all the good advice! Take care.
Post Reply New Topic