Why Import?

Why Import?

celticglory

QUOTE 11/29/2005 10:11:29 AM
Why do breeders (akc and ckc) breeders import dogs for their 'stock', breeding 'programs', I just dont understand it. What I don't get, is that they import them 'ok', but as soon as someone else (mainily a person trying to find a pet, not a stud)tries it, they get scammed out of all of this money and the puppy. What do the breeders do different that is so different from the 'regular' people? I just don't get it, it doesn't make sense to me.
mjanddobes

QUOTE 11/29/2005 5:28:03 PM

Quote celticglory:

Why do breeders (akc and ckc) breeders import dogs for their 'stock', breeding 'programs', I just dont understand it. What I don't get, is that they import them 'ok', but as soon as someone else (mainily a person trying to find a pet, not a stud)tries it, they get scammed out of all of this money and the puppy. What do the breeders do different that is so different from the 'regular' people? I just don't get it, it doesn't make sense to me.
A reputable breeder will sometimes import a dog/bitch for their breeding program because it has something lacking in their own breeding program - but you have to be really careful when doing so. The kinds of people I am talking about know people in their breed all over the world - either because they have met or by reputation over a period of years. In my breed, some people have imported from South America or Europe to bring in what they think is lacking in the American Doberman. I don't personally agree with them, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

People who are just looking for a pet and don't know much about the breed or the people in the breed really need to stick to the reputable breeders in their own country.... and I will expand that statement to say that they should try to stick to a breeder close enough to drive to and check out personally. Slick websites hide a multitude of sins when it comes to people who breed dogs.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 11/29/2005 6:54:00 PM

Quote celticglory:

Some breeders do this when their best stock and the best availible breeding stock around them is to closely related and they need to bring in "new blood" or "new genes". Most of the time this is done to improve the line they have.
celticglory

QUOTE 11/29/2005 9:41:18 PM
Thanks for helping me understand, I guess the reason someone would want to import a dog is because maybe they are looking for a certain breed of dog they have read up on, done research of breeders and still come up empty.

Like the Bedlignton Terrier, there's like what two breeders I have come up with, and not one answered my e-mail, or updated their site in two-three years or more.

I want to become a AKC handler and work with dog breeds that aren't listed under the akc, like the American Bulldog. I guess I still have a lot to learn.
mjanddobes

QUOTE 11/29/2005 10:11:20 PM

Quote celticglory:

Thanks for helping me understand, I guess the reason someone would want to import a dog is because maybe they are looking for a certain breed of dog they have read up on, done research of breeders and still come up empty.

Like the Bedlignton Terrier, there's like what two breeders I have come up with, and not one answered my e-mail, or updated their site in two-three years or more.

I want to become a AKC handler and work with dog breeds that aren't listed under the akc, like the American Bulldog. I guess I still have a lot to learn.
You need to understand also that many many breeders do not have any kind of website - some don't even have e-mail - LOL! Neither of my Doberman's breeders have websites. My puppy bitches breeder is considered one of the best - but you won't find a website because it does not exist.

The best way to find a breeder for a specific breed is to find the national club and get a list and/or go to the shows in your area and watch the breed you are interested in - then talk to the people who have them.

We have neighbors down the street who have a lovely Bedlington Terrier - but you don't see many of them outside the show ring.
seapiner

QUOTE 11/30/2005 8:13:03 PM

Quote celticglory:

I Import many of my studs and also dogs that I plan on showing, The reason that a few people dont get scammed and others do is mainly because we know who we are dealing with personally...I have met many of my contacts at reputable dog shows and from people in other Countries that have reccomended these breeders to me.
Please keep in mind, I NEVER reccomend anyone just send their money to another Country as many of them are Scams and there is no way to check them out...most dont even speak english so you cannot even check a reference. There is absolutely NO recourse when you send your money to another Country, when it is sent, it is gone, no lawyers will take an international case, and secondly, The people scamming you do know this.
So basically buyer beware!
I have dealt with the same person in poland for 10 years now, completely know and trust who i am dealing with...If you dont personally know them, then it is no different than throwing your money away, a very expensive russian roulette.
tbackenstoes

QUOTE 12/1/2005 1:25:36 PM
When we bought our shiba inu the breeder actually asked us to spend the day with her and her pups. It was actually very nice and comforting beings that we had gotten scammed before. We drove about three hours to meet her she gave us so much information on the dog and their history and everything. If we ever get another dog I would just pray that we could meet someone like her again.
barbara789

QUOTE 5/20/2009 4:17:13 AM
Edited by Gbat1stop
mikehardly

QUOTE 5/23/2009 2:24:45 AM
I have dealt with the same person in poland for 10 years now, completely know and trust who i am dealing with...If you dont personally know them, then it is no different than throwing your money away, a very expensive russian roulette.

henrymaquli

QUOTE 5/23/2009 3:58:28 AM
As a pet, i have a dog name jack.
its so cute, i like it very much.
Post Reply New Topic