what's too cold for a German sheperd?

what's too cold for a German sheperd?

whatson

QUOTE 11/19/2005 5:41:37 PM
hi there, does anyone know when i should bring my shepherd in [as a rule she loves her kennel outside, & free run of our private yard, but its soooo cold this week, and i'm really fretting bout her, tonight i have put her in my office[before i left she'd eaten my slippers, her dog brush], so dreading what i'll find in the morning, she is eating at least 25% more food, her kennel is snug and wind proof with fleece pads and fleece blankets, is there a cirtain temprature when dogs should be brought indoors? would be most gratefull for any help on this matter
kind regards kath
funnybunny

QUOTE 11/20/2005 2:54:56 PM
I have a german shepherd/lab mix and she doesn't get cold until it's about 40 degrees outside and here in Florida, that's not very often. I'm not sure what the exact temperature would be, but if you think it's too cold outside for her then i'd bring her in. To minimize the chewing, you could put her in a large crate? You could also purchase a kong and put a treat inside of it. That will keep them busy for hours trying to get the treat out of it. I've heard that peanut butter works as well. I personally wouldn't leave my dog outside if it were colder than 60 degrees, but my babies are used to the sun.
christyut

QUOTE 11/20/2005 3:34:57 PM
I think that German Shepards can handle pretty cold temps. If he has a place that is away from the elements, like you mentioned, then I think you should be fine to leave him out as long as it is above freezing. As long as you are bringing him in on occasion to warm up and spend time with you and the family. I wouldnt leave him outside at night. You could get him a crate if you dont want him to destroy stuff while you are asleep or gone. Good luck!
soft4labs

QUOTE 11/20/2005 5:35:54 PM
if you think it's cold bring him inside.
focusonme

QUOTE 11/20/2005 7:12:50 PM
Crate train your dog and bring him in at night. Where do you live?
The reason I ask is because up here it'll get to below zero at night. THAT is cold no matter WHAT breed you are. There are however dogs (and lots of them) that do stay outside in that weather. It all depends on the set up you have for your dog.
If you think it's getting cold and insist on keeping him outside, get some quality hay(QUALITY, not junk hay or straw) to insulate his dog house with. It'll hold in the heat and his as well. Works for dogs up here! My friend has 2 dogs (a wolf / Malamute mix and a husky / Malamute mix) that she keeps out all the time. The wolf she brings in when she blows her coat too soon, as lots of dogs are doing up here right now. She uses hay and changes it once a month. Her dogs are GREAT outside!
Far as I know GSD's are just fine outside as well. Their coat should be fine for cold weather. Just my 2 cents!
eeewwswwx

QUOTE 11/20/2005 8:17:30 PM
A diamond collar! And it's own tv but i don't spooil my dogs ABBY BRADDY,LUCY and HUNTER!
getpaid

QUOTE 12/9/2005 1:20:43 AM
The wind chill is - 10, and I have 3 large dogs outside, 2 rotts, and a rott-st. bernard mix. All have straw inside there dog houses, that is changed often, its the best you can do if dogs are outside. Do not use blankets at all, they hold water when the dog sweats, and it will freeze, doing more harm then good, please use straw, it stays very warm, and dry. The most important thing to worry about, is not if the dog is cold, but make sure that you change the water, and check on it every day, when you feed the dogs, because the water will freeze up, and the dogs can't drink. So get some straw, and keep an eye on the water. The Rott- St. Bernard mix loves the cold, and is outside of his doghouse in the snow more then he is in, we actually wanted to keep him as an inside dog, but he kept wanting to be outside, it think it is to warm , and dry in here for him.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 12/9/2005 6:59:43 AM

Quote whatson:

hi there, does anyone know when i should bring my shepherd in [as a rule she loves her kennel outside, & free run of our private yard, but its soooo cold this week, and i'm really fretting bout her, tonight i have put her in my office[before i left she'd eaten my slippers, her dog brush], so dreading what i'll find in the morning, she is eating at least 25% more food, her kennel is snug and wind proof with fleece pads and fleece blankets, is there a cirtain temprature when dogs should be brought indoors? would be most gratefull for any help on this matter
kind regards kath
You need to watch the wind-chill factor. I've seen dogs pads stick to the ground when it gets really cold. I agree that if your worred about the cold you should be. I also agree that if your bringing the dog in the house you need to make a place where you can put her where she will be safe as well as warm, which could mean cleaning out part of a store room in the basement. Or blocking off everything she shouldn't have.
ambulldogpup

QUOTE 12/9/2005 7:46:27 AM
I would say at freezing temperatures like 20 or 30 degrees F I wouldn't leave your german shepherd outside for more than 20 minutes or if you think he looks pretty comfortable out there then maybe longer. You could always buy a dog coat for him so his coat doesn't get cold from the wetness from snow or rain.
fantasiawht

QUOTE 12/9/2005 8:45:54 AM
With the setup you have- a well insulated dog house, I think temperatures approaching 0 fahrenheit would be fine. I don't think windchill is a factor since the OP said it was a windproof dog house.

Is the dog house up against the house? That can help keep it warm.

lucylou2

QUOTE 12/9/2005 8:48:40 AM
My conern would be their paws. It has started getting pretty cold here. It hit -15 with the wind chill here the other day. My dogs are inside dogs, but they love it outside. HOWEVER, when it has been cold and they go out side to potty, they will walk around for a few minutes and then they start lifting their paws in the air and refusing to move. I figure it is just too darn cold on their paws.

At that point we Run back to the house. I have to make it a game, otherwise they refuse to move. There is No way I can pick up my boxer/shepard. She is as big as me when standing!

Otherwise, they love to play in the snow. It's only when it gets really cold out......
goldengal

QUOTE 12/9/2005 5:37:30 PM
Our dogs are goldens and they are strictly outside. we have a doghouse with pineshavings and a rug, we have a spot inside our shed with pineshavings on top of carpet with carpet strips hung over the entrance and guess where they sleep. One out in the open and the other in another fairly open dog house with just one rug. I figure they can handle much colder temperatures than we think. so as long as you have a warm doghouse I'd say keep him outside as long as it doesn't get to -25.
pudels

QUOTE 12/10/2005 12:30:59 PM
"Do not use blankets at all, they hold water when the Dog sweats, and it will freeze..."

Dogs cannot sweat anywhere except through their pads. That's why they pant. Otherwise, your statement about using straw is great advise.

gbat1stop

QUOTE 12/10/2005 7:57:29 PM
Duncan, my male lab, is an outdoor dog. If he is in the house for more than a few hours at a time, he goes stir-crazy and needs back out. I have an 8ft privacy fence surrounding his kennel. The doghouse has a very tiny door (just enough for him to get in and out of) with the opening being about 10 inches from the ground to keep snow from drifting in. We have tried straw in the doghouse but he pulls it out as fast as we put it in so we have insulated the outside of it. He does have access to the heated garage although he does not use it much. For the most part, he has tolerated the weather well but he does come in on nights where the temp drops below zero. I leave him no choice and he has to spend the night in the crate or else he drives us nuts wanting back out. If she has been an outside dog all along and is content outdoors,I would guess she is fine as long as temps do not get below zero provided you have taken measures to protect her from the cold. If you need to bring her indoors, invest in a crate. This is one sure way to keep her and your belongings safe. The crate is the only place Duncan is content for more than a few hours when we bring him in.

Straw is a wonderful idea if she will allow it in her house but the blanket, IMHO, isn't because they will freeze like the previous poster stated.
soft4labs

QUOTE 12/11/2005 5:41:46 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=local&id=3711355#

and just because GSD's have a long coat does not mean they are "cold weather dogs." I would like to encourage everyone to consider bringing their "outside dogs" indoors, dogs only misbehave because of a lack of training, having a dog requires time and effort on your part please just give it a shot?
whatson

QUOTE 12/14/2005 2:49:15 PM

Quote soft4labs:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=local&id=3711355#

and just because GSD's have a long coat does not mean they are "cold weather dogs." I would like to encourage everyone to consider bringing their "outside dogs" indoors, dogs only misbehave because of a lack of training, having a dog requires time and effort on your part please just give it a shot?
i did'nt mention that we are in "sunny" London UK, scooby does come in now at night, and has become a fair weather dog, although she loves the out doors, we have adapted the door[stuck a wedge] so she can paw it open, and come in & out as she pleases, she still has her outdoor kennel, but snuggles up to radiator these days, and seems much happier and i'm much happier too,
Post Reply New Topic