bad news guys....

bad news guys....

shebia98

QUOTE 11/14/2005 1:05:47 AM
ok i bought my b/f a rotty for his b-day in sept., well everything is going ok with him but now he is eating his own poop. well thats not really that big of a deal, but he has worms and they are worming him right now but he is eating the poop with the dead worms now. i got a call from my b/f's mom that his dad wants me to go pick the pup up and that they dont want it just because its eating its own poop. i think that is so wrong and that all the pup needs is some training or whatever. but his dad thinks that a dog that eats its own poop is going to grow up and bite ppl...wht i dont know....so basically i have to bring the dog to my house and they are going to give me the pin they keep him in and everything but they just dont want it anymore. so since my sister works at the vet's office i'm gonna try and take it there and have her look at it and see if there are other worms growin in there cause i was told that the pup is just basically reproducin worms when he eats the worm infested poop.......so......if anyone can kinda help me out here and tell me what to tell them cause i do want the pup but i want it to stay over there at my b/f's house and i dont want them to turn around and sell it to their neighbors who have 3 pitts and a pin big enough for 1 dog and who's only intentions i think is to fight them. so someone PLEASE help me cus i have to pick it up tuesday.
gwennabeme

QUOTE 11/14/2005 11:18:30 AM
I think I've read somewhere that adding some pineapple to the dog's food will make their poop smell different and they won't eat it.
noskiveez

QUOTE 11/14/2005 11:28:46 AM
I cant remember exactly what it is called when they eat their own doo doo, but their is some stuff called "For-Bid" that you can buy at petsmart / petco that you mix into their food that causes their poo to be foul tasting (as if it wasn't foul to begin with!) As I have read about this stuff, it takes a week to two weeks to get the mind set of the dog to know the nasty taste is from the poo. And they should stop eating their own poo. It says that you can mix it into the food of another animal if it is eating poo from another dog you own as well.
focusonme

QUOTE 11/14/2005 11:29:40 AM
Honestly the only thing I know for SURE that works is to pick right up after the dog. When he goes potty, be right there to get him away from it and scoop it up and toss it.
I too had a dog like that. I tried the tobasco, the supplements and all of that! Nothing worked aside from scooping it afterwards. The dog itself was SWEET as could be. Just had a NASTY habit.
Good luck with your pup! I'm sure you'll figure out something!
shebia98

QUOTE 11/14/2005 12:14:02 PM
well i'm going to petsmart in houston tuesday cus i'm off work and gonna bring the pup to my house and keep it while it gets better. but i'm still gonna have my sis look at him to find out what kind of worms he has cus they havent taken him to the vet yet because of money issuses. i have money issuses too but i guess my sis can cut a deal or something or my mom can pay of the visit and i pay her back.....i dunno...to me hes a good dog but they always tell me how bad he is and everything but its because they havent tried training him yet........and the picking up the poop...they do that when they have him outta the pin but hes been poopin in his dog house hidin it so they put a board up front the house the other day and he waits till they put him back in the pin at night to go and eat all the poop.....well wish me luck and i'm gonna try that forbid stuff
ravenskyzz

QUOTE 11/14/2005 12:15:22 PM
Most cases of coprophagia appear to be purely behavioral, but there are also numerous medical problems that can cause or contribute. Any medical problem that leads to a decrease in absorption of nutrients, causes gastrointentinal upset or causes an increase in the appeal of the dog's stool, could lead to coprophagia. In addition to a complete physical exam, the puppy's diet and its stool frequency and consistency should be avaluated. Feeding a poorly digestible diet, underfeeding, and medical conditions that decrease absorption such as digestive enzyme deficiencies or parasites, could lead to malnutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiencies and therefore an increased appetite and possibly stool eating. In addition, if the stools contain large amounts of undigested food material, there is an increased likelihood that the puppy would eat the stools. Coprophagia is a common problem in some puppies, which usually clears up in adulthood. There have been many explanations suggested for this behavior. When left unsupervised, puppies may simply begin to investigate, play with, and even eat stools as a playful activity. Since coprophagia may attract a great deal of owner attention, the behavior may be further reinforced. If the owner uses the outmoded, inhumane and useless training technique of "sticking the dog's nose" in its stool when it has soiled the home, may be further encouraging coprophagia. Some solutions are to alter the flavor with meat tenderizers, 1/4 tsp. per 10 lbs. of body weight. Add a vitamin and mineral supplement to the diet including digestive enzymes. A popular one is called Paaws. Some dogs benefit from a diet change. Also, make sure that the stool is removed immediately from the pup, and make sure the pup has several interesting toys! Hope this helps!
yankeelab

QUOTE 11/14/2005 2:49:19 PM
wow, thanks, Ive been having the same problem with yankee, if he goes the bathroom in the house, he eats it before we can get to it, all thats left is the smell, so we cant even tell him no, its too far past for him to understand what he did, and trust me, hes not underfed, remember i told you guys about having to take him to the emergency room cause he ate too much! so Im going to have to try the pineapple i think, thanks!
ravenskyzz

QUOTE 11/14/2005 4:46:31 PM
I read where sometimes the puppy/dog will eat the feces right away so they don't get into "trouble". By taking away the "evidence" of what they've done they really can't be admonished because the mess is no longer there! Hope you find a solution that works for you.
yankeelab

QUOTE 11/14/2005 8:00:07 PM
My lab Zel, when I first got her from the kennel she would eat Zoes poop, and the vet said that she does that like you said to hide the evidence, she didnt want her sister to get in trouble, the vet thought that zel was probably beaten before and she didnt want zoe to get hit. so sweet, yet sooooo gross.
shebia98

QUOTE 11/15/2005 8:52:22 AM
thanks everyone for the info....his parents changed their mind and are gonna keep the pup at their house and try the pineapple thing too. but they said a friend of theirs told to them to give him a lil gunpowder...i was like um no i wouldnt just cus u dont know what its gonna do to his insides...so they're gonna try the pineapple and if that doesnt work then i'm gonna have to go to petsmart then and get the tablets. gonna call me sis later today and see bout some worm medicine for him.....
diggerkristin

QUOTE 11/15/2005 10:06:00 AM
where is the dog going to the bathroom? if its a puppy you should pick up after him. take the dog for a walk to go to the bathroom. the dog def. needs some training.
shebia98

QUOTE 11/15/2005 12:20:09 PM
thats what i keep tellin them that he just needs training....and during the day the do pick up after him but its mainly at night when they have him in his pin he eats the stuff...
shay05

QUOTE 11/15/2005 3:50:23 PM

Quote ravenskyzz:

I read where sometimes the puppy/dog will eat the feces right away so they don't get into "trouble". By taking away the "evidence" of what they've done they really can't be admonished because the mess is no longer there! Hope you find a solution that works for you.
When I brought my rescue, Dottie, home on the 31st, the threw up in the car and tried covering it up. It was so sad! lol I reassured her it was ok.
sashua

QUOTE 11/15/2005 8:26:02 PM
I really don't see that giving a dog gunpowder is a good thing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I sure as heck wouldn't eat gunpowder! The Deter stuff works well!
dogpoopguy

QUOTE 1/17/2010 1:51:07 PM
Giving a dog gunpowder is a horrible idea.  For anybody that reads this, please don't try it!  If you want information on coprophagia supplements there are plenty of others out there.

Post Reply New Topic