Ever hear of a Doxie Cocker?

Ever hear of a Doxie Cocker?

laffytaffyks

QUOTE 11/10/2005 11:25:33 PM
A Doxie Cocker is suppose to be a mix between a dachsund and a cocker spaniel I think. I first saw one in a petshop at the mall but couldnt get it. Trouble is I have NOT seen that mix breed ever sense!! are there mix breeders for this dog that anyone knows of? or was it just one of those dogs you dont really see often?
funnybunny

QUOTE 11/11/2005 9:58:13 AM
Let me just say, that sounds like a terrible combination. It just goes to show you that pet stores will sell any mixed breed. Cocker spaniels and dachshunds are different in so many ways. I haven't heard of this mix but obviously a puppy mill has them or there wouldn't be one in a pet store.
animalluver8

QUOTE 11/11/2005 10:32:11 AM
Not only are these breeds different in way too many aspects, the Cocker Spaniel is known to have THIRTY-NINE genetic health problems. Dachschunds are up there too. NOT a good combination at all.
anasazi

QUOTE 11/11/2005 11:53:45 AM
Boy do they (cockers) ever have health problems.. I would never own another one..

Please do not buy a puppy from a pet store.. They come from puppy mills.. Here are some websites that explains why its so bad to buy from petstores.

http://www.arescuemom.org/PetStorePuppies.htm

http://crownroyalyorkies.com/petstore_dogs.htm

Learn about puppy mills here;

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/
gbat1stop

QUOTE 11/11/2005 11:57:41 AM

Quote laffytaffyks:

A Doxie Cocker is suppose to be a mix between a dachsund and a cocker spaniel I think. I first saw one in a petshop at the mall but couldnt get it. Trouble is I have NOT seen that mix breed ever sense!! are there mix breeders for this dog that anyone knows of? or was it just one of those dogs you dont really see often?
These two breeds are worlds apart. I would be cautious buying from a pet store as well. I am amazed what people are crossing now days.
puppys4luvnlife

QUOTE 11/11/2005 12:12:20 PM
I see. I didn't know that at all. You know they wanted over 1700$ for it? Now I am even more glad my mother was there at the time to tell me no. Now I know why I will never see it again. It really was an adorable puppy though.
fantasiawht

QUOTE 11/11/2005 12:13:39 PM

Quote animalluver8:

Not only are these breeds different in way too many aspects, the Cocker Spaniel is known to have THIRTY-NINE genetic health problems. Dachschunds are up there too. NOT a good combination at all.
Is there a website that lists the numbers and types of genetic defects that show up in breeds?
funnybunny

QUOTE 11/11/2005 12:16:44 PM

Quote anasazi:

Boy do they (cockers) ever have health problems.. I would never own another one..

Please do not buy a puppy from a pet store.. They come from puppy mills.. Here are some websites that explains why its so bad to buy from petstores.

http://www.arescuemom.org/PetStorePuppies.htm

http://crownroyalyorkies.com/petstore_dogs.htm

Learn about puppy mills here;

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/
I own one at the moment. Mista has a heart murmur and she is on medication at the moment. She also has early cataracts (sp?) which I hear is quite common in the Cocker breed. She was a puppy mill rescue so I wouldn't be surprised if more problems came up later on. She's a great little dog though. I probably wouldn't own another either even though she is very cute and sweet.

Dachshunds have a whole new mess of problems all their own though. A common problem in them is back problems. They have such a long body on small legs. An elderly lady owned a poodle/dachshund mix named Peggy Sue a while back (not sure if the dog is still around) but she dropped it off at the house. Had all of the proportions of a dachshund, just solid black with curly hair. She was a sweet dog but she had severe arthritis. You couldn't pick her up, couldn't touch her back, couldn't do anything without her yelping in pain. The woman said it was due to her being part dachshund. I'm not sure if that's a fact but it was pretty sad.
christyut

QUOTE 11/11/2005 1:37:51 PM

Quote fantasiawht:

Is there a website that lists the numbers and types of genetic defects that show up in breeds?
On http://www.dogbreedinfo.com It lists the health problems associated with each breed. I dont know if there are any other websites that do too.
mjanddobes

QUOTE 11/11/2005 2:41:57 PM

Quote laffytaffyks:

I've heard of an ooops mating of all kinds of breeds - the result is a mutt that should be given away to a loving home for the cost of it's spay/neuter and shots.... with the spay/neuter portion refunded when the owner shows proof that the spay/neuter was done.

I don't condemn every person who has ever had a litter of mixed breed puppies. The first time is a shame, the second time is a shame on them and should come with a manditory sentence of 100 hours at the local shelter assisting in euthanizing all the unwanted pets. The same sentence should be manditory for every breeder who refused to take back a puppy of their breeding when the owner can no longer keep it or no longer wants it. I know a Doberman breeder/exhibitor who just recently took back an 8 year old dog of her breeding because the woman no longer wanted him. Any breeder who is not willing to do that has no business breeding.
funnybunny

QUOTE 11/11/2005 4:39:46 PM

Quote mjanddobes:

I've heard of an ooops mating of all kinds of breeds - the result is a mutt that should be given away to a loving home for the cost of it's spay/neuter and shots.... with the spay/neuter portion refunded when the owner shows proof that the spay/neuter was done.

I don't condemn every person who has ever had a litter of mixed breed puppies. The first time is a shame, the second time is a shame on them and should come with a manditory sentence of 100 hours at the local shelter assisting in euthanizing all the unwanted pets. The same sentence should be manditory for every breeder who refused to take back a puppy of their breeding when the owner can no longer keep it or no longer wants it. I know a Doberman breeder/exhibitor who just recently took back an 8 year old dog of her breeding because the woman no longer wanted him. Any breeder who is not willing to do that has no business breeding.
The pups that I have bred I have kept up with. I speak to them about once a month be it in email, or over the phone. Even if one of her pups were 12 years old, I would gladly accept him/her back. I doubt that will happen as they seem very happy and are well taken care of but if it were to come up, I would take them back in a heartbeat. It is in their contract that if they are no longer able to care for the puppy, or if they no longer want him/her the dog is to come back to me without a second thought. I don't think half of the people breeding dogs should be doing so. Most of them don't do it right, they just do it for profit. I have seen many puppies listed on this site that come with absolutely nothing. No shots, no wormings, no health certificate, no contract, but however they do come with full registration. That just allows more and more people to buy these puppies and start up on their own. It's terrible.
anasazi

QUOTE 11/11/2005 4:48:10 PM
"The first time is a shame, the second time is a shame on them and should come with a manditory sentence of 100 hours at the local shelter assisting in euthanizing all the unwanted pets."

I agree! That would be an excellent punishment.. they could see just how many dogs and cats are euthanized in one day... heck in a few hours! Have them put in time in the admitting area so they can hear every excuse under the sun as to why a person no longer wants their pet.. My fave of all time.. Im moving... or Its old and sick just go ahead and put it to sleep. Too cheap to have it done with dignity at a vet with the owner at its side..
funnybunny

QUOTE 11/11/2005 5:17:45 PM

Quote anasazi:

"The first time is a shame, the second time is a shame on them and should come with a manditory sentence of 100 hours at the local shelter assisting in euthanizing all the unwanted pets."

I agree! That would be an excellent punishment.. they could see just how many dogs and cats are euthanized in one day... heck in a few hours! Have them put in time in the admitting area so they can hear every excuse under the sun as to why a person no longer wants their pet.. My fave of all time.. Im moving... or Its old and sick just go ahead and put it to sleep. Too cheap to have it done with dignity at a vet with the owner at its side..
My favorite of all of them is...I'm allergic. Yet you see the dogs or cats come in and they're 10-12 years old. What is that? You just then develop an allergy? Yeah right. They just need an excuse to get rid of their animal that has been so loyal and loving for so many years. If you notice, quite a few people put animals on free ad websites saying the dog is old and if nobody adopts it they will have it put to sleep. It completely disgusts me.
goldengal

QUOTE 11/12/2005 1:37:12 PM

Quote fantasiawht:

here is another site

http://siriusdog.com/articles/hereditary-congenital-diseases-dog.htm
laladogs

QUOTE 11/12/2005 1:56:55 PM
what is wrong with people disowning dogs. I have to dogs at the moment .
christyut

QUOTE 11/12/2005 2:44:18 PM
Thanks Goldengal. That website is very detailed.
davidwyatt78

QUOTE 3/3/2013 4:45:42 PM
I own a Doxie Cocker....a beautiful little girl who i adopted from Carolina Cockers. She is THE most amazing dog, so clever and loving, extremely obedient and very independent ....i wouldn't trade her for the world. At present she has absolutely no health problems and shows no signs of future health problems. I think she has the perfect combination of Cocker and doxie. Any dog owner should think themselves lucky to have one. 
vtpups

QUOTE 4/8/2013 1:22:39 PM

Quote davidwyatt78:

I own a Doxie Cocker....a beautiful little girl who i adopted from Carolina Cockers. She is THE most amazing dog, so clever and loving, extremely obedient and very independent ....i wouldn't trade her for the world. At present she has absolutely no health problems and shows no signs of future health problems. I think she has the perfect combination of Cocker and doxie. Any dog owner should think themselves lucky to have one. 
Do you have a picture? i would love to see what one looks like.
Post Reply New Topic