pomeranian ears

pomeranian ears

grammagus

QUOTE 10/11/2005 10:10:58 PM
I have an 8 week old pomeranian male whose ears are not standing up. His littermates ears were standing up. Do you think he is just maturing slower? Should I shave his ears so the hair doesn't weigh them down like a yorkie? Or will he have dumpy ears forever? I haven't owned a pom since I was in high school, so it is new to me.l
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/11/2005 10:56:06 PM
There have been many posts like this in the past. It could be just that his ears flop instead of stand erect, maybe that's just the way he was born, or it could be that he's teething. Sometimes when a dog is teething, one or both of their ears will drop and when they mature, they stand erect again. I would wait a while longer to see if anything happens. I'm not sure at what age this can be started but there is something called taping their ears. You tape the two together for a while and the cartilage builds up and keeps them standing erect after the tape is removed. I'm not sure if I was right about that but someone else should know. Hope I helped you out a bit.
christyut

QUOTE 10/11/2005 10:58:20 PM

Quote funnybunny:

There have been many posts like this in the past. It could be just that his ears flop instead of stand erect, maybe that's just the way he was born, or it could be that he's teething. Sometimes when a dog is teething, one or both of their ears will drop and when they mature, they stand erect again. I would wait a while longer to see if anything happens. I'm not sure at what age this can be started but there is something called taping their ears. You tape the two together for a while and the cartilage builds up and keeps them standing erect after the tape is removed. I'm not sure if I was right about that but someone else should know. Hope I helped you out a bit.
Yes, Noskiveez posted a website that details how to tape different breeds ears.
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/13/2005 1:44:09 AM
Here's the site for ears. Be sure you follow directions exactly, and if you have any questions, concerns or doubts...get someone who knows how to do it correctly to help out.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/eartaping.htm
puppy_wuv

QUOTE 10/13/2005 3:17:17 AM
Yeah, if your going to eartape, you have to make sure it is done properly or the dog can have infections and trouble hearing. Ask your vet about what you should do, I know that they should tape the ears not you!
grammagus

QUOTE 10/16/2005 10:28:56 PM
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.
Post Reply New Topic