8month (Shiba Inu/border collie) Volmiting problem

8month (Shiba Inu/border collie) Volmiting problem

cowboyshiba

QUOTE 9/18/2005 7:46:09 PM
Hello. New poster here. I found my pretty little shiba/border mix(odd mix huh?) at a rescue place at around 8 weeks of age. She's been a perfect puppy and now turning into great adult.

Just last night, around 6pm, our puppy started throwing up. It was a yellowish brown color and very foamy. she also threw up twice threw the night. When we woke up, I gave her a small amount of water and even less food. she became sick within 10 min of eating. About 30 min, my uninformed girlfriend woke up and fed her a small amount only to result in her crying and throwing up again. This time it was more brown and had a lot of mucus in it. We decided to take her to the vet and see what they thought. They tested her for parvo and checked her temp and all was well. They gave us some canned food and told us to keep her off food and water till late tonight. Since being home, shes thrown up another 3 times, more watery/foamy.

She doesn't seem to be acting too different. She was acting real normal this afternoon, but now seems slightly tired. Im afraid that she might not be getting enough water.

any suggestions?
cowboyshiba

QUOTE 9/18/2005 11:15:57 PM
I forgot to add, she just went into heat and licks herself a lot. Is it possible that she's having some kind of negative reaction to all the blood shes eating?

I only ask because there were some pieces of her vaginal wall (a.k.a. bloody chunks) floating in the volmit.
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 9/18/2005 11:50:50 PM
If this were my dog I would be rushing her to a second vet for another opinion ASAP. Also, as your dog is a mixed breed and was at a rescue... why is she not spayed?!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
funnybunny

QUOTE 9/19/2005 2:23:44 AM
I ask the same question, she should have been spayed. This doesn't sound normal for her. A reputable vet would not give her any food if she is vomiting so profusely. I would take her to another vet. This could jeopardize your dogs life if not taken care of. Also, I doubt that she is having a negative reaction to the blood. I think she is just vomiting up blood rather than vomiting up the blood she is injesting. She could have an abdominal obstruction which could indefinitely kill her. They are correctable with surgery and maybe some other techniques i'm not sure. She could have also injested something poisonous or something that is making her stomach act up in which case she should be brought to the vet to be checked out. I would suggest also getting her spayed. Her being in heat can cause further complications in the future such as mammary cancer.
andrew327

QUOTE 9/19/2005 9:13:56 AM

Quote cowboyshiba:

I forgot to add, she just went into heat and licks herself a lot. Is it possible that she's having some kind of negative reaction to all the blood shes eating?

I only ask because there were some pieces of her vaginal wall (a.k.a. bloody chunks) floating in the volmit.
It sounds to me like she may have swallowed a flea and has tape worms because I have a pitt that did the same and the vet said it was tapes you can go to any hardware store for meds but read lables carefully
cowboyshiba

QUOTE 9/19/2005 9:20:35 AM
We plan on getting her spayed as soon as she's not in heat. We already have the appointment set up.

Doesn't heart worm medication kill those types of worms? and if the meds haven't worked, what should I do to get her better. like.. what kinda medication or what other signs are there that might lead towards worms?
maoseger1010

QUOTE 9/19/2005 10:01:53 AM

Quote cowboyshiba:

Hello. New poster here. I found my pretty little shiba/border mix(odd mix huh?) at a rescue place at around 8 weeks of age. She's been a perfect puppy and now turning into great adult.

Just last night, around 6pm, our puppy started throwing up. It was a yellowish brown color and very foamy. she also threw up twice threw the night. When we woke up, I gave her a small amount of water and even less food. she became sick within 10 min of eating. About 30 min, my uninformed girlfriend woke up and fed her a small amount only to result in her crying and throwing up again. This time it was more brown and had a lot of mucus in it. We decided to take her to the vet and see what they thought. They tested her for parvo and checked her temp and all was well. They gave us some canned food and told us to keep her off food and water till late tonight. Since being home, shes thrown up another 3 times, more watery/foamy.

She doesn't seem to be acting too different. She was acting real normal this afternoon, but now seems slightly tired. Im afraid that she might not be getting enough water.

any suggestions?
First off licking herself will not make her sick. Its normal for a dog to clean themselves when they are in heat. I would give her pedialite instead of water. Did your vet take x-rays to check for a bowel obstruction? If not take her to another vet.
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 9/19/2005 11:07:50 AM
Not only will licking herself not make your dog sick, I very much doubt that the "bloody chunks" in her vomit are from her actions. It sounds as though there is something SERIOUSLY, VERY WRONG with your dog and you need to TAKE ACTION before it's too late. Please call another vet and schedule an appointment ASAP!!
funnybunny

QUOTE 9/19/2005 4:28:53 PM

Quote envypoodlecollection:

Not only will licking herself not make your dog sick, I very much doubt that the "bloody chunks" in her vomit are from her actions. It sounds as though there is something SERIOUSLY, VERY WRONG with your dog and you need to TAKE ACTION before it's too late. Please call another vet and schedule an appointment ASAP!!
This doesn't sound normal at all. I doubt it is from worms. It sounds as though there is an obstruction preventing the dog from keeping her food down. This is very serious and can cause major problems other than the obvious ones. This dog needs to see a vet asap to prevent her from starving, becoming dehydrated, or worse.
brittneymarieyoung

QUOTE 1/13/2013 4:01:36 PM
just so you know, about her licking herself alot... that is just a shiba inu characteristic... they are known to clean themselves alot like a cat. they are quite cat-like.
kathystone

QUOTE 1/14/2013 3:05:54 PM
 How about an update since this was 4 months ago. I would think she has an obstruction of some sort. What do her stools look like?
Post Reply New Topic