Dogs eat cat poop!

Dogs eat cat poop!

christyut

QUOTE 9/16/2005 10:37:40 AM
My dogs like to eat the cat poop outside. Yuck!! I think most of it is my cat's. But, it could be other cats that come in my yard. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and what you did about it. I try to just not let them out there by themselves for a long time. But, sometimes they do it really fast. Then sometimes they dont do it at all. I smell their breath when they come inside. If they have then I put a muzzle on them as their punishment for a few minutes. The muzzle seems to work for a while, but then they forget and do it again. I was also wondering what that stuff is called that you can put in their food to make their poop taste yucky to them. And if it is safe to give to the cat. Thanks for your help.
Christy
apbtlover

QUOTE 9/16/2005 10:47:40 AM
Sam does the same thing, he goes into the litter box and eats it. The stuff u can give them is called dis-taste.I'm sure u can get it at any pet store. with sam we just punish him everytime he goes near the cat box and that works, he's not quiet enough not to get caught. good luck
noskiveez

QUOTE 9/16/2005 10:50:28 AM

Quote apbtlover:

Sam does the same thing, he goes into the litter box and eats it. The stuff u can give them is called dis-taste.I'm sure u can get it at any pet store. with sam we just punish him everytime he goes near the cat box and that works, he's not quiet enough not to get caught. good luck
the for-bid or dis taste stuff, I have heard works well....but only if you are able to feed it to the animal that's poop is being eaten. If it isn't your animal, chances are the cats owner isn't going to let you feed it some weird white powdery stuff. I' dont know if it is safe to feed to a cat or not.

Ooops I thin k I quoted the wrong person.
mjanddobes

QUOTE 9/16/2005 10:52:38 AM
Dogs eat cat poop, it is just a fact of life. The only thing you can do is to keep them away from it. Punishing them after the fact does no good what-so-ever as they do not have a clue why they are being punished.

I'm not saying you should let them eat it, but don't punish them for it. Is there some way to clean it up, or keep a fenced area where there is no cat poop?
christyut

QUOTE 9/16/2005 10:57:24 AM
I wish I could clean it all up. I try, but with cats its hard bcuz they bury it. But, the dogs can smell it. I usually know when they have bcuz when I call them to come inside, they come in all coward down, bcuz they know they are in trouble.

They dont get near the litter box, that part of the house is off limits to them. But, my cat doesnt use the litter box very often. She would rather go outside.

I asked my vet about it and he said that cat poop is a delicacy(sp?) to dogs. But, it shouldnt hurt them. Its just gross and it make me mad. I give them so much good food!!
Christy
tiggerlove

QUOTE 9/16/2005 12:01:22 PM
if you go to your local pet retailer, I would suggest picking up some tablets that are called : deter Coprophagia. they're tablets you give your dog to have him stop eating poop. it's supposed to work really well. good luck. You just give it too your dog or puppie and it says it's 98 percent effective. You should be able to find it at Petsmart or Petco.
noskiveez

QUOTE 9/16/2005 1:23:59 PM

Quote christyut:

I wish I could clean it all up. I try, but with cats its hard bcuz they bury it. But, the dogs can smell it. I usually know when they have bcuz when I call them to come inside, they come in all coward down, bcuz they know they are in trouble.

They dont get near the litter box, that part of the house is off limits to them. But, my cat doesnt use the litter box very often. She would rather go outside.

I asked my vet about it and he said that cat poop is a delicacy(sp?) to dogs. But, it shouldnt hurt them. Its just gross and it make me mad. I give them so much good food!!
Christy
Isn't it amazing the things that one might see as being the most vile thing you could imageine eating, and yet another might see it as a delicacy?

My dogs seem to think the "Good Stuff" is being hidden in the trash can.
christyut

QUOTE 9/16/2005 5:51:25 PM

Quote tiggerlove:

if you go to your local pet retailer, I would suggest picking up some tablets that are called : deter Coprophagia. they're tablets you give your dog to have him stop eating poop. it's supposed to work really well. good luck. You just give it too your dog or puppie and it says it's 98 percent effective. You should be able to find it at Petsmart or Petco.
Does that stuff (deter coprophagia) stop them from eating their own poop or any poop?

Yes, Noskiveez, it is amazing to me what smells yummy to a dog!!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 9/16/2005 5:55:42 PM

Quote christyut:

My dogs like to eat the cat poop outside. Yuck!! I think most of it is my cat's. But, it could be other cats that come in my yard. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and what you did about it. I try to just not let them out there by themselves for a long time. But, sometimes they do it really fast. Then sometimes they dont do it at all. I smell their breath when they come inside. If they have then I put a muzzle on them as their punishment for a few minutes. The muzzle seems to work for a while, but then they forget and do it again. I was also wondering what that stuff is called that you can put in their food to make their poop taste yucky to them. And if it is safe to give to the cat. Thanks for your help.
Christy
The muzzle is not working because the dogs do not truely know why they being punished. Look and find the cat poop, put hot pepper on it and then when the dogs eat it they may not think its tastes so great and will stop.
noskiveez

QUOTE 9/16/2005 7:44:18 PM

Quote christyut:

Does that stuff (deter coprophagia) stop them from eating their own poop or any poop?

Only if the dog or cat that is doing the pooping is the one who was fed the for-bid.

I.E If he eats his own poop, feed it to him. If he eats the cats poop, feed it to the cat.
tiggerlove

QUOTE 9/18/2005 11:30:38 AM

Quote christyut:

anyones poop including himself.It's made ny 8-n-1 and it's called Deter Coprophagia. not For-bid. you can also try the hot pepper sauce trick. some dogs it'll work for others it won't. good luck.
christyut

QUOTE 9/18/2005 12:26:52 PM
I will look for that stuff!

I dont think that the hot pepper sauce will work. My dogs will eat anything. They will probably just like it better with sauce on it.

They will eat peices of jalapeno's. I tried it just to see and sure enough!!

Christy
tigger546

QUOTE 9/28/2005 1:27:01 PM
wow thats gross!! um i don't know how to react to that. my pets don't do that . um mabey you should try watching him when he goes out side, or you can just give in and let him eat it.
baby_tink

QUOTE 9/28/2005 1:56:11 PM

Quote tigger546:

wow thats gross!! um i don't know how to react to that. my pets don't do that . um mabey you should try watching him when he goes out side, or you can just give in and let him eat it.
You should just give in and let them do whatever they want because they will start to think, "Hey they are letting me do whatever I want I wonder what else I can do." You don't want them to think that. my dog does the same thing and I take him to the litter box point to it and say no and slap his nose.
christyut

QUOTE 9/28/2005 2:06:20 PM
They cant get to the litter box. But, the cat goes outside more than she does in the litter box. I havent been letting them stay outside as much. And I try to watch them when they go out. They love to stay outside and play, but if I let them stay out to long, they get bored. And, I think this is what they do when they are bored. They havent done it for a week or so. Maybe they will grow out of it! I hope.

I cant just let them do it. I love ot get kisses from my doggies, and that is just gross!

Christy
noskiveez

QUOTE 9/28/2005 4:25:35 PM
I'd try the "for-bid". I'm sure if you used that on the cats food that the puppy would only have to eat one or two bad tasting stool to discover that they all of the sudden aren't as yummy.
ausome

QUOTE 11/8/2005 11:05:40 AM

Quote maoseger1010:

The muzzle is not working because the dogs do not truely know why they being punished. Look and find the cat poop, put hot pepper on it and then when the dogs eat it they may not think its tastes so great and will stop.
My 2 Aussies litterally look at poop as something that's going to bite them. I put a training collar (set to level 3 of 5) on them and used a combination of setting them up and watching them closely when I know there is poop within their reach. I often observe them in a way that they think I'm not looking or simply hide around the corner, and let them almost actually eat the poop, then I simply zap them when they touch poop. It's actually kind of funny the way they look at it like its going to bite them...even when not wearing the collar. I know what many of you are thinking "Oh thats so cruel!", but I tried the collar on myself and it's just mostly annoying. Remember a dog's pain threshold is way above a humans. Those who know about dog behavior know this to be true. Anyway, I hope this helps for the cat poop situation....It worked like a charm for me and it's not even an issue anymore.
ausome

QUOTE 11/8/2005 11:07:54 AM

Quote maoseger1010:

My 2 Aussies litterally look at poop as something that's going to bite them. I put a training collar (set to level 3 of 5) on them and used a combination of setting them up and watching them closely when I know there is poop within their reach. I often observe them in a way that they think I'm not looking or simply hide around the corner, and let them almost actually eat the poop, then I simply zap them when they touch poop. It's actually kind of funny the way they look at it like its going to bite them...even when not wearing the collar. I know what many of you are thinking "Oh thats so cruel!", but I tried the collar on myself and it's just mostly annoying. Remember a dog's pain threshold is way above a humans. Those who know about dog behavior know this to be true. Anyway, I hope this helps for the cat poop situation....It worked like a charm for me and it's not even an issue anymore.
christyut

QUOTE 11/8/2005 12:28:38 PM

Quote ausome:

A shock collar, if used the right way can be a helpful tool. It is humane, if used the right way. Sounds like it worked for your dog. That is great.
csmilesm

QUOTE 11/8/2005 4:58:59 PM
ugh...we had to evaccuate for hurricane katrina for like a month. at home my cat goes potty outside, but being in strange places we needed a litter box for him while evaccuated. oh my gosh, i could not keep my dogs out the litter box. it was so gross and aggrivating. kept trying to find places to hide the litter box, but sure enough they would find it. yep it was very hard evaccuating with 1 cat 1 bird (which was eaten by one of my dogs while evaccuated) 2 large dogs and 2 small dogs. but when made the best of everything, including the cat crunchie eatings.
Post Reply New Topic