I gave my dog a greenie and she died

I gave my dog a greenie and she died

funnybunny

QUOTE 10/21/2005 8:40:13 AM
I'm not sure if the greenie thing can be a hoax or not because there are a lot of people claiming their dogs were killed while eating these but when you think about it, rawhides choke dogs all the time, hard things choke dogs quite a bit. It seems very possible to me and if it were me in the situation where a dog treat killed my dog, I would definitely sue. I would do everything in my power to get the item off the shelves so nobody else will have to go through the same thing.
gright1

QUOTE 10/21/2005 4:31:27 PM
I assure all of you that this is no hoax. It happened to me. I have the autopsy report from the vet as well as the chunk of the greenie that was removed from my dog's trachea.
These treats are advertised as edible and as a smart treat for dogs. There is no warning that this stuff can cause harm. On September 8th , I gave my dog a petite size Greenie. Approximately an hour later I found her dead. Our Vet performed an autopsy and discovered a one inch chunk of the greenie
grcfromcali

QUOTE 10/22/2005 4:36:46 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry!
I've seen those things at pets stores, and when I take Jincy to get a new toy at the dog store, she always sniffs them and paws at them like she want one, but I think that they look like oversized tooth brushes (and kind of dangerous). I always try to give by dog some thing a little bit big for her mouth, so that way, if she tries to swallow it, she can't, she can only chew it. I'm so sorry for your loss and thanks for warning us.
mike_eastwood

QUOTE 10/25/2005 7:03:40 PM
I can ALSO assure you that this is NOT a hoax. We followed the Greenies packaging, we supervised our dog chewing his Greenie like he did for a good year and a half before, and we supervised him swallowing it down. Shouldn't be any problems from there, right? I mean, we did EXACTLY like the packaging tells us to do. Well, my dog is DEAD. He died July 25, 2005.

Burt, our wonderful, healthy 4-year old mini daschund had three and a half feet of dead intestines surgically removed as well as the "foreign body obstruction" that caused the problems - a piece of a Greenie. Burt died 48 hours after the surgery - the damage was already done. He was killed by a Greenie.
Don't take chances, people. Make smart choices for your animals. Why risk it.

There SHOULD NOT BE A RISK from a product that touts itself as "highly digestible" "edible" and comes with veterinarian endorsements.

THANKS GREENIES!! THANKS S&M NUTEC (parent company and manufacturer of the product). You sure gave us a great gift. You should be proud of yourselves. Why don't you recall and reformulate the product like I told your on-staff vet, Dr. Brad Quest? How many more beloved pets have to suffer???????

It's been 3 months now, but as you can probably tell, my anger has not subsided in the least. No way. Our dog will not die in vain.

My new company motto,
Greenies: your dog can live without them.

Sincerely,
Mike Eastwood
owner of Burt.
mhenyc@yahoo.com
nicademia

QUOTE 10/26/2005 10:18:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.Next time an emergency happens with your animal take them to a vet hosp or emergency clinic if it's afters hours. They are the only ones trained to handle a situation like that and might have be able to do something if you had arrived in time.
chilover50

QUOTE 10/26/2005 10:56:53 PM

Quote gright1:

I had a beautiful Pomeranian She was a champion and doing very well with agility. I had been giving her greenies for the past 7 - 8 months with no adverse results. Last Thursday I gave her a greenie (petite size) I Found her on the carpet at 745 not moving but still warm I tried sucking on her snout and mouth and the heimlich procedure with no success. I rushed her to the dog traning facility hoping that one of the more knowledgeable people could help but it was too late.. The next day our vet performed an autopsy and found a wad of greenie in her esophagous. She had choked to death very quickly. My message to all of you is to beware of this product. gright1
I am very sorry for your loss I brought this to my vets attention today and he told me that you must be very careful that most small breeds will get them lodged in the throat and told me not to use them.. once again I know what your going thru with the loss...never use pig ears either nothing rawhide either...sorry
lovemylittleones

QUOTE 10/27/2005 9:47:40 AM
I am so sorry this happened. The title really caught me, because this happened to my friend's dog as well. She had a healthy, 9 month old English Bulldog, Ziggy. He died about 7 months ago from a Nylabone. It's just horrific because this is not a "one time" incident. There is something very wrong with these "toys"

ETA: As for the supervising, Ziggy was never alone with the Nylabone. My friend watched this happen and rushed him to the vet. Sometimes things can happen that quickly.
angelzoo

QUOTE 10/27/2005 10:11:04 AM
Any chew treat/toy requires supervision imo.
Even dogs who haven't destroyed specific toys in the past, doesn't mean they never will do it.
I fed greenies to all sorts of animals for years with out having a personal problem. During this time I heard of several story's recounting basically the same thing as the OP and worse.
When I worked at the vet I started to witness these things first hand for myself.
But I thought assuredly these owners just must not be supervising their dogs properly.

Then a few months back I gave a greenie to my foster dog, as I have many times before, and he starts puking with blood and bits of greenies, then he gets diahrea with whole bits of greenies and mucous in it!

So you can see, the problem does not just lye in supervision, these greenies are virtually indigestible for several dogs! Of course it can't pass through oesophaguses, intestines and will rip and tear their way through an animals body.
They are also too soft and any animals who are remotely anything but calm chewers are not fit for this treat. It's very easy to bite off large chunks.
ilovemyretreiver

QUOTE 10/31/2005 2:10:29 PM
My Golden Retreiver had to have surgery this weekend because of a Greenie. Do you know if there is a web site for the company that makes them?
christyut

QUOTE 10/31/2005 2:13:09 PM

http://www.greenies.com/
bigshort6968

QUOTE 12/2/2005 9:02:48 PM
This is definitely NOT a hoax. Greenies caused the death of my Frenchie, Rosie. She got a sharp triangular piece caught in her esophagus. I've seen hundreds of cases of these things harming dogs in the discussion groups since I lost her. I think those of us who were harmed by these things need to get together and go after this company. I spent $4800.00 on emergency surgery and she still didn't make it.
gright1

QUOTE 12/9/2005 9:33:14 AM
To Bigshort6968. My deep sympathy for your loss. I think I know how you feel I went through the same feelings of disbelief, grief and anger that you must have now. Please do not be silent. Put your message out to every outlet that you can find and notify the FDA and your local animal protection agencies. I think that the important thing to do is inform as many people as possible that this is a death treat.
gwennabeme

QUOTE 12/9/2005 12:51:38 PM
What is a good tasty chewy treat I can give my pom puppy? I always see greenies at the petstore advertised as being so good and safe for your dog, and after reading this, I don't believe it, but it makes me not believe the other products promises, too.

So, what do you suggest???

I let him chew on a rawhide, but only when I'm there to watch, and I take it away when it starts to get soggy. But, he LOVES it, so what can I give him that he can chew on, and tastes good?
jrue1985

QUOTE 12/9/2005 2:28:32 PM

Quote gwennabeme:

What is a good tasty chewy treat I can give my pom puppy? I always see greenies at the petstore advertised as being so good and safe for your dog, and after reading this, I don't believe it, but it makes me not believe the other products promises, too.

So, what do you suggest???

I let him chew on a rawhide, but only when I'm there to watch, and I take it away when it starts to get soggy. But, he LOVES it, so what can I give him that he can chew on, and tastes good?
I give my pom cornstarch bones. I think they are like nylabones. I let him chew it until it is small enough that it makes me nervous, then I throw it away. One lasted a week!! I watch him when he is chewing it, but since he was unable to break off any chunks I was not scared to leave him alone in his kennel to chew it if I had to run a short errand. I found them at petco.
tintinabulation

QUOTE 12/25/2005 2:21:24 PM
I gave my 7 month old pug a greenie today, and then, 10 minutes later, I come in and it's gone! I can't find it anywhere, so I'm scared he swallowed it. after hearing all your stories, I'm so scared about it. there is so way for me to get to the vet's before 4:30 pm, and right now, it's around 2:30 pm. I think it happened like 1/2 an hour ago, so do you think it's okay that I could only get him to the vet in 2 hours? is there anything I could do at home to help him? please respond asap!
luvmychi

QUOTE 12/28/2005 2:12:58 AM
Ohmygosh, I give my little Emma one greenie a week! Your post broke my heart and scared me half to death. I never really thought about greenies breaking off in chunks. Emma loves them. Looks like we are switching to soft biscuits!!
shihtzupr

QUOTE 12/28/2005 7:52:04 PM
I can't believe this post is still alive. And I can't believe all the stories, that is so sad. I'm never giving my dog a greenie.

pinkpuglove

QUOTE 12/29/2005 12:27:38 AM
I AM SOOOO SORRY
It must be terrible
I always gave my pup greenies, but after a while he started puking all of the time.
Any ways, I am so sorry about her death.
pranaba

QUOTE 1/3/2006 6:58:20 PM
It's no wive's tale. It's true. I just finished spending $600 on vet bills caused by one of the Booda velvet cornstarch bones that my 15-year old pug choked on. He had been chewing it fine when he got a piece of it stuck in his esohpogus and starting choking and gasping for air. I rushed him to the emergency clinic, they x-rayed him and found a large chunk of the bone stuck in his esophogus. They said he needed to have it removed via an endoscopy. I ended up taking him to another clinic that could perform that type of operation. By the time we arrived, thankfully the chunk had passed down to his stomach. We are waiting to see if it breaks up, he passes it in his stool, OR worst case scenario, he needs surgery to remove it.

The vet informed me that if they had had to perform surgery to remove it from his esohphogus, the total bill would have been around $6,000! That's a very expensive bone, not to mention that my dog almost died.

BOTTOM LINE: Here's what the vet told me as I was taking my dog home. They see cases like this every single day...ESPECIALLY WITH THOSE POPULAR GREENIES. The makers are getting rich selling dangerous products. Doesn't matter that THEY say it's safe, if dogs choke on them, they are NOT safe. He told me to throw away all of those types of compressed bones because they are choking hazards. Now Greenies as some little teenie fine print about not giving them to dogs that are "gulpers", but I'm sure most of us miss that fine print. We all love our dogs so much and I can't even fathom the thought of almost killing my dog because I gave him the wrong treat. IT JUST ISN'T WORTH IT. My advice is for everyone to just not purchase those types of compressed bone products. The dog isn't going to miss it and you'll feel better about it, I know I will now.

P.
allykat229

QUOTE 1/3/2006 8:04:31 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I used to give my Dobie greenies until one day he choked on it but fortunately he was able to throw it up. I will never use Greenies again.
Post Reply New Topic