I gave my dog a greenie and she died

I gave my dog a greenie and she died

celticglory

QUOTE 9/19/2005 6:43:25 PM
I am so very sorry about your dog.

Are rawhide sticks and chips safe to give to dogs? I have seen the pressed rawhide bones, they look nice looking.

Are the edible snack bones okay to give to dogs? What about the beefy bones? That have fillings inside of them?

I had wanted to start using greenies but not after this, I will stay away from this product. You know there are other products like this one, are they even safe to use now?
jayjayca

QUOTE 9/20/2005 12:40:45 AM
Sorry about your loss!!
chupa53

QUOTE 9/20/2005 9:53:01 AM
I am so angry reading these stories and I am so sorry for your loss, it is just heartbreaking! I have also had an awful experience with a GREENIE this past summer. My 2 yr old dog choked on an end piece of a GREENIE and we rushed her to the Vet's. It was stuck in the base of her esophagus, they were able to use a endoscope and push it into her stomach. The damage it caused her esophagus was extreme so they put in a feeding tube so she could heal. Ten weeks later, five endoscope's to break down strictures that occured we are now finally feeding her small portions by mouth. The recovery has been slow and we have made many trips back to the Vet's for medication, infections etc. We are lucky, we still have our dog and we hope she will be healthy again. PLEASE get the word out to everyone you can these things are dangerous so no one else has to suffer!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 9/20/2005 11:08:04 AM

Quote chupa53:

I am so angry reading these stories and I am so sorry for your loss, it is just heartbreaking! I have also had an awful experience with a GREENIE this past summer. My 2 yr old dog choked on an end piece of a GREENIE and we rushed her to the Vet's. It was stuck in the base of her esophagus, they were able to use a endoscope and push it into her stomach. The damage it caused her esophagus was extreme so they put in a feeding tube so she could heal. Ten weeks later, five endoscope's to break down strictures that occured we are now finally feeding her small portions by mouth. The recovery has been slow and we have made many trips back to the Vet's for medication, infections etc. We are lucky, we still have our dog and we hope she will be healthy again. PLEASE get the word out to everyone you can these things are dangerous so no one else has to suffer!
Goodgrief I had no idea! Although I don't feed my dogs greenies I know many of my clients who do. I will also get the word out. Thanks for the info.
mike_eastwood

QUOTE 9/21/2005 9:57:14 AM
Hi
There are some people here who have posted that I would like to hear from. If you know these people or how to contact them, please contact me.

Whaleya
Snowcreeek
Scout1
Chupa53

Thanks,
Mike
contact me at:
mhenyc at yahoo dot com
mhenyc@yahoo.com
fantasiawht

QUOTE 9/22/2005 10:33:23 AM
Wow I'm so glad I read this thread! I never knew! Scary stuff, I'm so sorry for your loss.
doodlebear

QUOTE 9/25/2005 10:32:22 PM
Thank you so much for letting people know abouth the greenies. I have been giving them to my 2 little dogs for quite a long time. They really love them. But now I won't give them any more. I feel very lucky to still have my babies. I knew about the rawhides, but not about the greenies. I hope word gets around about this. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pets.
jerri7224

QUOTE 10/10/2005 5:35:29 PM
I read about your dog and I am so glad I did as I have been giving my dogs greenies for their breath. I will never buy them again. Thank you for letting us know what could happen. I appreciate you telling is your sad story and I am so sad for you.
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/10/2005 6:07:45 PM

Quote mike_eastwood:

Hi
There are some people here who have posted that I would like to hear from. If you know these people or how to contact them, please contact me.

Whaleya
Snowcreeek
Scout1
Chupa53

Thanks,
Mike
contact me at:
mhenyc at yahoo dot com
mhenyc@yahoo.com
I am curious, why are you asking people to contact you privately?
mike_eastwood

QUOTE 10/17/2005 7:05:08 PM
noskiveez,

To answer your question, I am asking people who have various experiences with Greenies to contact me directly because I also had a dog die due to this product. I want to hear what happened in their situation.
Many times, people blame themselves. We're not at fault. I strongly believe the product is at fault. My dog died a painful death. I don't want to hear that happen ever again.I hope that I answered your question.

-Mike
in memory of BURT, the 12-pound, 4-year old daschund who WILL NOT DIE IN VAIN
yankeelab

QUOTE 10/18/2005 8:33:59 AM
I am soooooooooooooo sorry for your loss, that is awful! that is literally my worst reoccuring nightmare, I keep having a dream that my bichon zoe is choking and I cant do anything about it. But i never thought about it actually happening! In my dream I feel totally helpless. I wish could say that I know what it feels like, but I can imagine what you are going through!
springerbaby9891

QUOTE 10/18/2005 6:51:20 PM

Quote gright1:

I had a beautiful Pomeranian She was a champion and doing very well with agility. I had been giving her greenies for the past 7 - 8 months with no adverse results. Last Thursday I gave her a greenie (petite size) I Found her on the carpet at 745 not moving but still warm I tried sucking on her snout and mouth and the heimlich procedure with no success. I rushed her to the dog traning facility hoping that one of the more knowledgeable people could help but it was too late.. The next day our vet performed an autopsy and found a wad of greenie in her esophagous. She had choked to death very quickly. My message to all of you is to beware of this product. gright1
I am so sorry that that had to happen to you and my dog threw up when she ate Greenies. Stupid treats.
tiggerlove

QUOTE 10/20/2005 3:06:01 PM
look y'all rawhide, pig ears, natural bones, greenies can all shard off, or break off in chunks and get stuck in either the throat or intestines. Now how many people actually give their dogs these types of treats??? lots, I'm sure we all have at one point or another. dogs love them. The main thing is to supervise them when they have it and to take it away from them when you're not around. It's not strickly the products fault, it's our fault to for not reading the warning labels that some of these products have. granted greenies doesn't have a warning label and they should consider putting one on there, but rawhide does. Please make sure to read all warning labels on anything you get your dog, and when you give your dog a treat make sure to supervise them.

I'm so sorry about your loss.
funnybunny

QUOTE 10/20/2005 3:10:31 PM

Quote tiggerlove:

look y'all rawhide, pig ears, natural bones, greenies can all shard off, or break off in chunks and get stuck in either the throat or intestines. Now how many people actually give their dogs these types of treats??? lots, I'm sure we all have at one point or another. dogs love them. The main thing is to supervise them when they have it and to take it away from them when you're not around. It's not strickly the products fault, it's our fault to for not reading the warning labels that some of these products have. granted greenies doesn't have a warning label and they should consider putting one on there, but rawhide does. Please make sure to read all warning labels on anything you get your dog, and when you give your dog a treat make sure to supervise them.

I give them to my dogs from time to time. I am always there to supervise though. Once it starts to break a bit, I take it away, cut off that area, then throw it in the trash. They don't have them for more than about 15 minutes. I usually just give my dogs regular treats or toys to play with. I saw greenies at the store the other day and my father wanted to buy them for the dogs, I said no because they're dangerous. So he picked up a large bag of dog biscuits for them to enjoy.
anasazi

QUOTE 10/20/2005 3:48:48 PM

Quote tiggerlove:

I dont give my dogs any of the items mentioned.. First being they get sick on them.. second, I dont want that nasty thing laying on my floor. GROSS!
christyut

QUOTE 10/20/2005 3:50:42 PM

Quote anasazi:

I dont give my dogs any of the items mentioned.. First being they get sick on them.. second, I dont want that nasty thing laying on my floor. GROSS!
I used to give rawhides, but Sissy almost choked one day. I dont give them anymore. But, they are gross. They get them all slimy and then they come and set it on your lap.
patsandy

QUOTE 10/20/2005 5:05:44 PM
I would suggest that when these things or reports start around we check with snopes.com to see what reports they have sometimes it takes the scare out of things. Pat

Such as for the one going around on swifer products.....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

Then we can verify or not a story. I am going to check out the greenies story also. Pat
patsandy

QUOTE 10/20/2005 5:12:39 PM
There seem to be plenty of first hand stories here....that back up this story. I know you don't allow a dog to be alone anytime they are chewing a product that the ends can break off.....Rawhides are bad about that and they should never be left alone with them. What confuses me is the Vet's office still offers the Greenies, and that blows me away. I am so sorry for anyones loss....didn't mean to come off cruel a moment ago. Just want to research it also....to find out are the Vets just so money hungry they want to sell them to get back their investment or what.......? Pat
anasazi

QUOTE 10/20/2005 7:09:46 PM
I knew the swiffer one was a haox.. Still, its best to keep your dog away from household cleaning products..

There have been several people posting the same stories about greenies on the Dogster forums too.

all the people who have lost their dogs due to greenies should sue.. at least do something to get them off of store shelves.
puppy_wuv

QUOTE 10/21/2005 4:57:08 AM
Well, I never new about any of this greenie choking stuff!!! No greenies for my pup!
Post Reply New Topic