I gave my dog a greenie and she died

I gave my dog a greenie and she died

beeker6

QUOTE 9/15/2005 7:41:52 PM
I can totally sympathize!! My Aussie died 5 months ago today and I was devastated! We have a "Tribute Crematorium" here that is devoted to pets. We had her cremated and I am comforted knowing that she is close by. I never gave her Greenied but now I know for the next one. Thanks for the advice
sheltielovr

QUOTE 9/15/2005 7:55:17 PM
Thank-you for posting about the greenies. I will be getting a new dog in three weeks and was going to buy this. Sorry for your loss. I just wanted you to know you probabely saved my puppy. Thank you again,Wendie
ambulldogpup

QUOTE 9/15/2005 8:01:41 PM
Now that i'm hearing all these things. I was going to give my dog a rawhide but I think i'll throw them out. What is a compressed rawhide? How long does it take for your dog to choke on a rawhide or anything like that? Whenever my dogs intestines didn't take something, she would throw it up as a whole the next morning. Since my dog has large jaws (yes a big mouth lol) and she would swallow things whole a lot and it scares me sumtimes.
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 9/15/2005 8:07:09 PM
There was an on-going discussion on one of the forums at dogster.com about a Mini Doxie who had died after eating a Greenie. The dog had swallowed a piece of a small Greenie and the vet tried to save the dog by removing part of it's intestines where the treat had sat for some time undigested. The dog later died of post-surgical complications, I believe. There were many others who wrote in that they had similar experiences (dogs choking on or passing parts of undigested Greenies, etc.). I understand that this is not necessarily a "Greenie problem," but it seems that I hear a lot more about these situations than those involving other chewies...
pamperdteacup

QUOTE 9/15/2005 8:49:07 PM
whats greenies?

gright1

QUOTE 9/15/2005 8:52:45 PM

Quote scout1:

i am very sorry for your loss. i have heard many stories of people whose pets have died as a result of the greenies becoming lodged either in the throat like your dog or in the intestines. there are quite a few posts on another forum i grequent about this. all of you should gather and put in a claim against the company.
Thank you for your kind words. They do help. Can you send me the URL of the other forums that reported this problem.. gright1
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 9/15/2005 9:02:18 PM
Sure. Here is a link to the other Online discussion I've read about Greenies at www.dogster.com:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/?t=3454
singer422

QUOTE 9/15/2005 9:37:50 PM
I gave my dog a greenie yesterday is it possible that days from now it could be stuck inside of him still?
goldengal

QUOTE 9/15/2005 10:51:02 PM

Quote pamperdteacup:

whats greenies?

Here you go

http://www.greenies.com/
gright1

QUOTE 9/15/2005 10:52:38 PM

Quote singer422:

I gave my dog a greenie yesterday is it possible that days from now it could be stuck inside of him still?
I do not think so. Depends on the size and bowel habits. If he has expelled it the feces would likely have a greenish tint. gright1. I have heard of two local cases involving large dogs. One a beautiful Golden became sick and threw up. there were large pieces of the stuff in his vomit. The ot he a Dobe could not defficate. Surgery was required to remove chunks of the stuff from his colon. both sur vived.
snowcreek

QUOTE 9/15/2005 11:21:37 PM

Quote gright1:

I had a beautiful Pomeranian She was a champion and doing very well with agility. I had been giving her greenies for the past 7 - 8 months with no adverse results. Last Thursday I gave her a greenie (petite size) I Found her on the carpet at 745 not moving but still warm I tried sucking on her snout and mouth and the heimlich procedure with no success. I rushed her to the dog traning facility hoping that one of the more knowledgeable people could help but it was too late.. The next day our vet performed an autopsy and found a wad of greenie in her esophagous. She had choked to death very quickly. My message to all of you is to beware of this product. gright1
I am sorry to hear about your loss(pomeranian).
I have heard of 2 cases where people have lost dogs from Greenies!
They contacted the manufacturer and they were almost immediately given a check for reimbursement of the emergency vets visit, In one case the funny thing was that they were issued a check and letter and inside the envelope was a check and letter identical to theirs, fo another dog's family!!!
This is not an isolated case....
snowcreek

QUOTE 9/15/2005 11:25:14 PM
PS see above. They had ahd autopsies and it was determined that it was the greenies...
noskiveez

QUOTE 9/15/2005 11:32:08 PM

Quote snowcreek:

I am sorry to hear about your loss(pomeranian).
I have heard of 2 cases where people have lost dogs from Greenies!
They contacted the manufacturer and they were almost immediately given a check for reimbursement of the emergency vets visit, In one case the funny thing was that they were issued a check and letter and inside the envelope was a check and letter identical to theirs, fo another dog's family!!!
This is not an isolated case....
That is really sad, giving a family a check for the vet costs! What about the dog? Most view their dogs as family members. If I lost a family member because of a product, I wouldn't be happy with a check for my family members medical bills.

I wonder if the manuf. of greenies thinks the check is going to keep these people quite about what happened?
gright1

QUOTE 9/16/2005 12:25:43 PM

Quote noskiveez:

That is really sad, giving a family a check for the vet costs! What about the dog? Most view their dogs as family members. If I lost a family member because of a product, I wouldn't be happy with a check for my family members medical bills.

I wonder if the manuf. of greenies thinks the check is going to keep these people quite about what happened?
Dear Snowcreek, You have expressed my feeling precisely. There is no price anyone can pay me for the loss of my friend and family member. I do not intent to tell anyone what or what not to do. I want to be certain that every animal lover is totally aware of this problem. I consider feeding greenies analogeous to the guy who drinks a six pack in the evening before driving home. It happens without incident for years until he kills an inocent person. In my case I used greenies for many months without incident until tragedy
petal1992

QUOTE 9/16/2005 9:49:23 PM
Don't give your dog any almonds either! We gave our Pom some (beacuse of the sad noises he was making) and he coughed for more than 3 weeks strait. It was torture! I'm sorry for your loss.
mike_eastwood

QUOTE 9/17/2005 10:54:51 PM
Dear All,
I am saddened to hear of yet another incident with GREENIES. You see, I am the one who posted on Dogster weeks ago. It was MY mini Doxie that passed away 7 weeks ago tomorrow 48 hours after he was operated on to remove the his necrotic bowel tissue and thatall-too-familiar "foreign body obstruction" - a piece of a very well chewed greenie. Yet,this product claims to be "highly digestible" -uh huh. My wife and I are still devastated by this news.

My dog will not die in vain. I ask that you all contact my at my yahoo address if you have had experiences with Greenies. It's really important. Please contact me.

Sincerely,
Mike Eastwood
mhenyc at yahoo dot com
anasazi

QUOTE 9/17/2005 11:20:36 PM
I am so sorry for those of you that lost your pets.. This is horrible.. Ive never given my dogs any rawhide or greenies, however, I know many people that purchase these products and wwill spread the word.. This is just the worst.., I can't imagine how you must feel...

gright1

QUOTE 9/18/2005 8:37:40 AM

Quote mike_eastwood:

Dear All,
I am saddened to hear of yet another incident with GREENIES. You see, I am the one who posted on Dogster weeks ago. It was MY mini Doxie that passed away 7 weeks ago tomorrow 48 hours after he was operated on to remove the his necrotic bowel tissue and thatall-too-familiar "foreign body obstruction" - a piece of a very well chewed greenie. Yet,this product claims to be "highly digestible" -uh huh. My wife and I are still devastated by this news.

My dog will not die in vain. I ask that you all contact my at my yahoo address if you have had experiences with Greenies. It's really important. Please contact me.

Sincerely,
Mike Eastwood
mhenyc at yahoo dot com
Dear Mike, I am gratified that other good people are beginning to recognize thia problem. It is too late for us ,but at least we can save others from the pain we have experienced. I have made a formal complaint with the offfice of the Texas attourney General, Consumer products. This can be accomplished on the internet I also contacted the Texas department of agriculture department of chemistry that regulates and licenses foodstuff in this state. They are investigating this product. I was told that mine is not the only circustance of this type Best wishes to all.. gright1
lindee52

QUOTE 9/18/2005 1:03:18 PM

Quote ambulldogpup:

Now that i'm hearing all these things. I was going to give my dog a rawhide but I think i'll throw them out. What is a compressed rawhide? How long does it take for your dog to choke on a rawhide or anything like that? Whenever my dogs intestines didn't take something, she would throw it up as a whole the next morning. Since my dog has large jaws (yes a big mouth lol) and she would swallow things whole a lot and it scares me sumtimes.
I think the compressed rawhides are the ones that look like chunks of rawhide that have been pressed together to form shapes. I have seen some in the shape of lollipops or just shaped like a straw. A dog can chew them up rather quickly.
whaleya

QUOTE 9/19/2005 5:35:36 PM
My lab ate a Greenie with not problem, however once the Greenie chunks were in her stomach they didn't digest (and don't, according to the company). Thus she had a stomach blockage and was very, very sick for many days and almost had to have surgery. Luckily the piece passed (it was the size of my finger and hard as a rock even after several days in my dog's gut).

I don't think an inedible product made of cellulose (plant fiber) and green coloring should be marketed toward any animal except maybe a cow or horse -since they could digest it!

At least my dog is alive, there are many other dogs that have died because of Greenies, both due to choking and due to blockage. To make matters worse the surgery for a blockage is very risky for a dog.
Post Reply New Topic