Canis Panther

Canis Panther

climberchic

QUOTE 9/21/2008 1:28:48 AM
I understand where you are coming from, and you are entitled to the feelings of not wanting to own one. But all the attacks you hear about are mainly because this breed at this particular time in history is extrememly popular, owned by irresponsible owners and that is what you hear on the news. Small dogs in my opinion and what I have seen are more prone to bite than bigger dogs and they do, totally without warning, but the damage isn't as great because they are smaller, do you hear about them and banning their breeds? No, you don't. I think that people do not give the pits a chance because they go on what people say rather than give the dogs a chance.
I agree that some breeds are bred for certain characteristics, but aggression toward people was never in the orignal breeding.
angell212

QUOTE 9/21/2008 1:04:22 PM

Quote climberchic:

I understand where you are coming from, and you are entitled to the feelings of not wanting to own one. But all the attacks you hear about are mainly because this breed at this particular time in history is extrememly popular, owned by irresponsible owners and that is what you hear on the news. Small dogs in my opinion and what I have seen are more prone to bite than bigger dogs and they do, totally without warning, but the damage isn't as great because they are smaller, do you hear about them and banning their breeds? No, you don't. I think that people do not give the pits a chance because they go on what people say rather than give the dogs a chance.
I agree that some breeds are bred for certain characteristics, but aggression toward people was never in the orignal breeding.
exactly climberchic. Ya know bb, i was actually starting to agree with you for awhile but guess what? I have found out that you are just going to bash pitbulls whenever anyone brings it up. It isn't the dogs fault. It's the stupid irresponsible owners who buy them. They are just a way misunderstood breed. Maybe people could actually try and do something to fix this. That'd be a shocker! So why don't we all go and try to help those dogs instead of killing them?
moggie

QUOTE 9/21/2008 2:02:36 PM

Quote angell212:

exactly climberchic. Ya know bb, i was actually starting to agree with you for awhile but guess what? I have found out that you are just going to bash pitbulls whenever anyone brings it up. It isn't the dogs fault. It's the stupid irresponsible owners who buy them. They are just a way misunderstood breed. Maybe people could actually try and do something to fix this. That'd be a shocker! So why don't we all go and try to help those dogs instead of killing them?
many shady people..for some reason...own pitts..crack heads, drug dealers..thieves..lets face it...if you want to see many pitts...just go to the hoods..as a matter of fact, i was visiting my son last weekend...we took our yorkie with us...upon walking her to potty...i witnessed this...a young couple walking 2 pitts...just outside of their apartment complex???? apartments and pitts do not mix well...im not even going there as some people are not smart enough to smell trouble..so..the girl had her pit somewhat under controll...her boyfriend...was beating the s*** out of his and choking him to the point of almost collapse....she came back up the stairs first and stopped to talk to me...i simply told her that i couldnt bear to watch this any longer and i did come home and call animal services...so...there is the chance that a pitt will hurt or kill...this is a proven fact...there are also laws protecting against them...and they are on the dangerous dog list with homeowner insurance companies...neighbors are afraid of them and do nothing but try and get them out of their neighborhoods...most end up in shelters where they are not re-homed...most shelters WILL NOT re-home a pitt...so...the moral of this story is to stop breeding them...when the breeding stops..so does their suffering the hands of these shady people and being abused by the not so TOUGH guy!!! its just a bad situation no matter how you look at it!!!
angell212

QUOTE 9/21/2008 4:13:56 PM

Quote moggie:

many shady people..for some reason...own pitts..crack heads, drug dealers..thieves..lets face it...if you want to see many pitts...just go to the hoods..as a matter of fact, i was visiting my son last weekend...we took our yorkie with us...upon walking her to potty...i witnessed this...a young couple walking 2 pitts...just outside of their apartment complex???? apartments and pitts do not mix well...im not even going there as some people are not smart enough to smell trouble..so..the girl had her pit somewhat under controll...her boyfriend...was beating the s*** out of his and choking him to the point of almost collapse....she came back up the stairs first and stopped to talk to me...i simply told her that i couldnt bear to watch this any longer and i did come home and call animal services...so...there is the chance that a pitt will hurt or kill...this is a proven fact...there are also laws protecting against them...and they are on the dangerous dog list with homeowner insurance companies...neighbors are afraid of them and do nothing but try and get them out of their neighborhoods...most end up in shelters where they are not re-homed...most shelters WILL NOT re-home a pitt...so...the moral of this story is to stop breeding them...when the breeding stops..so does their suffering the hands of these shady people and being abused by the not so TOUGH guy!!! its just a bad situation no matter how you look at it!!!
I know that many people that are crack heads and drug dealers do that, okay? I just think that bb should stop trashing the whole breed because they have been owned by shady people who are complete morons and have no idea how to treat dogs. I have met pitts who are sweet gentle dogs.
big_dawgz

QUOTE 10/15/2008 12:42:07 AM
Many dogs...unfortunately...are owned by ignorant...uninformed owners. This causes issues with particular breeds. I've been around many different dog breeds for about 35 years. The most dog bites I've ever encountered were from the small "ankle biter" breeds...and from dalmations and chows. I've owned Pits, Rotts, Mastiffs, Dobies, Bulldogs and Boxers and several different breeds of hunting dogs and have NEVER had any of my dogs bite a human...other than typical puppy..playful snapping.

Unfortunately some people...even on here...make uninformed statements about this breed or that breed. Truth is...if you don't like the breed then don't buy one. I hate the way people slam on various breeds just because of what they've heard/read. If you haven't owned one...or been around them extensively...then you have no right to judge them in my opinion..

Canis Panthers appear to have alot of the qualities that I like to have in an animal that I choose to make a member of my household. I will probably do some more research on them and eventually find some to spend some time with before I end up getting one. Which I will probably do as well.

I put up with all the Yuppie....Yappie....."ankle biting"...breeds. So therefore...you should put up with whatever breed I chose to like until my animal somehow effects your life in some manner!!

LOL
moggie

QUOTE 10/15/2008 6:23:42 AM

Quote big_dawgz:

Many dogs...unfortunately...are owned by ignorant...uninformed owners. This causes issues with particular breeds. I've been around many different dog breeds for about 35 years. The most dog bites I've ever encountered were from the small "ankle biter" breeds...and from dalmations and chows. I've owned Pits, Rotts, Mastiffs, Dobies, Bulldogs and Boxers and several different breeds of hunting dogs and have NEVER had any of my dogs bite a human...other than typical puppy..playful snapping.

Unfortunately some people...even on here...make uninformed statements about this breed or that breed. Truth is...if you don't like the breed then don't buy one. I hate the way people slam on various breeds just because of what they've heard/read. If you haven't owned one...or been around them extensively...then you have no right to judge them in my opinion..

Canis Panthers appear to have alot of the qualities that I like to have in an animal that I choose to make a member of my household. I will probably do some more research on them and eventually find some to spend some time with before I end up getting one. Which I will probably do as well.

I put up with all the Yuppie....Yappie....."ankle biting"...breeds. So therefore...you should put up with whatever breed I chose to like until my animal somehow effects your life in some manner!!

LOL
well you did start out the post great...and pretty much said it in one mouthfull...but..because so many ignorant owners want these breeds of dogs...more and more accidents happen.
there is nothing that makes me shudder more than a pitt...chained to a tree, living in a dirt spot!!! i hate that!! and you are wrong about only ignorant people being to blame for the aggression in these breeds...we had rotties years ago...we did have mishaps....they were dangerous...they were ALWAYS a liability...and the neighbors were scared out of their minds...and ill bet you can guess what kind of trouble that causes...and..it certainly wasnt anything we did or did not do!!! we had a fenced in back yard with a 6 ft fence...they went over the top...so...we added heighth...then they decided to dig under...we added electric wire close to the bottom of the fence....they decided to push and open the gates...we added locks...please...you have had these breeds....you know exactly what they are capable of...left in the wrong hands...they can be made vicious!!!
beaglebrat

QUOTE 10/15/2008 4:48:37 PM

Quote angell212:

I know that many people that are crack heads and drug dealers do that, okay? I just think that bb should stop trashing the whole breed because they have been owned by shady people who are complete morons and have no idea how to treat dogs. I have met pitts who are sweet gentle dogs.
Listen-- I don't hate every individual Pitt-bull. I hate the breed in general.

I am sure there are some that are great dogs. Just like there are some alligators that may make great pets too.

I just would personally never own them and I don't think that most people are qualified to own them.

That is my opinion. I am entitled to it.

I know people who are not shady and they own pitt bulls. In fact... yet another NEGATIVE PITT-BULL experience I had was just last year.

I was at a UKC dog show in Kalamazoo with one of my Boxers. I was sitting in a chair, resting with my dog about 15 feet from the ring. There were a lot of Pitt Bulls entered that day. Probably 25 or more.

One lunged at my dog laying at my feet. Which the only other breed I have seen do that at a dog show to another dog, was a Bouvier and I don't care for those dogs a bit either.

That's not the story though. A two year old male in the ring, being handled by what looked to be a very competent adult male handler entered the ring. One of 4 in his class.

They went around the ring once and the judge was approaching for inspection. This large male lunged at the judge and took an attack pose for at least 30 seconds until he was asked to leave the ring.

I have been going to dog shows for at least 5 years and I have never seen another dog do this. Ever. It was shocking.

It's okay that I don't like them. You can't like everything. I don't go around telling people they have to like Yorkies, or any other type of dog. It is a personal opinion.
jashlyn

QUOTE 10/15/2008 6:10:39 PM
Big_Dawgz,

I'm a Canis Panther owner, and I think that if you get one, and put in the time needed (they're complex), you will be very happy. My dog is awesome. I couldn't be happier. I would like to get a couple more eventually.

While you do need to pay attention to individual dog's inherited traits and you may have a better chance of doing that w/ purebreds, the people that make comments about "just another designer/hybrid" and go on to put them down, are just wrong.

The first thing that vets are taught in vet school is "hybrid/mixbreed vigor". Even aside from the inbreeding problems w/ so many current purebreeds, there are many health problems w/ a lot of the popular breeds. As much as I like and admire them, I didn't get a Doberman for that reason (cardio myopathy -- your dobbie dropping dead in front of you w/ zero prior indications -- is just one of many problems).

Also, the contention that Canis Panthers should be avoided because trait stability hasn't been established since they've only been around for about 30 years, is not a legitimate criticism. Given that 2 - 2 1/2 years represents a typical generation for dogs being bred (by responsible breeders), that would mean that currently available Canis Panther puppies would be approx 13-16th generation. I'd be more worried about inbreeding, with any breed, than stability of traits, as long as you know the various breeds that make up the mix, as you would w/ a CP.

I know, it sounds like I work for the CP breeders. I don't, but I would love to breed them myself. They are that great. To me, it's like Tiger Woods, a mix that resulted in the best traits from various sources.

Feel free to ask me anything about them. I've spent many hours daily w/ my CP every single day that I've owned her.

Since there seems to only a couple of breeders in the country, if you aren't close enough to one to drive to pick up your dog, my one piece of advice would be to personally pick up the dog via airline round trip, and carry the puppy with you onboard when you return home (airlines allow this for puppies up to a certain maximum size). I think that having an animal shipped via a cargo bay of an airline can be too traumatizing.

Good luck,

Jahna
moggie

QUOTE 10/15/2008 6:33:31 PM
yikes!!!! i have now seen one!!! what a poor examples of breeding i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes!!! yep...looks just like a mix..with a very odd name!!!
climberchic

QUOTE 10/17/2008 7:50:29 AM
Jashlyn, I own a CP too, and I'm with you. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. Complex is an understatement, but one thing I liked about them too was the fact they were a healthy breed. I had owned a rottie before who had an unfortunate accident and couldn't face owning another to remind me of him. The CP has several similar traits but looked nothing like a rottie. They are great dogs, but of course purebreed breeders aren't going to be open minded to something new. I think Open Minded is the key...
moggie

QUOTE 10/17/2008 9:51:34 AM
another pit mix....getting bigger all the time!! google the florida today newspaper...on the front page of the paper today...you will see the 40 year old man in the wheelchair...now..with a missing leg and 2 arms that no longer work...all due to another irresponsible protection dog owner who is complaining about a 700.00 fine??? go figure!!! they go on to talk about dog bites from chihuahuas?? this man fought to live...what does a chi bite have to do with it??? chis can bite all day long...but they cannot kill....pits and their cousins can and will....they should be banned to the public!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this incident in itself....is enough for me..no need to think about it any longer....seen enough!!!
climberchic

QUOTE 10/17/2008 10:10:25 AM
If they went on to talk about chi bites I'm sure they were talking about dog attacks in general being bad. Why should a small dog bite be referred to any differently. Any bite is bad and a reflection of a bad owner.
moggie

QUOTE 10/17/2008 1:13:42 PM

Quote climberchic:

If they went on to talk about chi bites I'm sure they were talking about dog attacks in general being bad. Why should a small dog bite be referred to any differently. Any bite is bad and a reflection of a bad owner.
i am not sure what you mean by what is the difference?? i would say that a chihuahua bite and a pit bull attack are 2 VERYYYYYYYYY!!! different things!!!!!!!!!when is the last time you heard of someone being killed by a chihuahua??????????????
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/17/2008 3:36:31 PM

Quote moggie:

i am not sure what you mean by what is the difference?? i would say that a chihuahua bite and a pit bull attack are 2 VERYYYYYYYYY!!! different things!!!!!!!!!when is the last time you heard of someone being killed by a chihuahua??????????????
Thats not exactly true. Any dog is capable of killing.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/10/09/pomeranian.kills.ap/

moggie

QUOTE 10/17/2008 5:43:01 PM

Quote noskiveez:

Thats not exactly true. Any dog is capable of killing.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/10/09/pomeranian.kills.ap/

how on earth could a 6 week old babys' head be burried in a pomeranians mouth????its hard enough to get a pomeranians mouth open wide enough to get a pill down??? i dont get this...this makes no sense and there must be more to this story than is written....what a bizarre happening and sad!!!
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/17/2008 6:22:24 PM
I didnt get that either. A few years ago someone posted info about deaths related to dog and the breeds and there were a few breeds that you would have never expected to kill. I wish I knew where the info/link was. There were several that were infact very suprising because they were small breeds.
climberchic

QUOTE 10/17/2008 6:40:43 PM
I never said what is the difference. I said that any bite is a bad bite. Why is it that so many people think it is okay for small dogs to get away with terrible temperments biting ankles and charging other dogs all the time but a medium size dog even shows a little sign and they are man killers. THATS what I don't get. Just because they can't cause as much damage doesn't make it OKAY. THAT was my point.
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/17/2008 7:15:22 PM
I dont know anyone that thinks its okay for a small dog to bite or have a bad temperment.

I think if you look at the history of the breeds being labeled "man killers" you will see that there is a pattern with the breeds involved and it involves a high number of attacks.
climberchic

QUOTE 10/17/2008 9:41:52 PM
Some small dog owners say alot of bad things about other breeds when the dog they own has its own attitude problems. I have a friend with a min pin that is horrible, barks and charges at people as soon as they turn to leave. Snapped at a few people and they say its the individuals fault for picking on their dog. Even though that person never has taunted the dog, they say others in the past always did. She has several other problems but they won't admit it or do anything to fix it.
moggie

QUOTE 10/18/2008 6:02:06 AM

Quote climberchic:

I never said what is the difference. I said that any bite is a bad bite. Why is it that so many people think it is okay for small dogs to get away with terrible temperments biting ankles and charging other dogs all the time but a medium size dog even shows a little sign and they are man killers. THATS what I don't get. Just because they can't cause as much damage doesn't make it OKAY. THAT was my point.
yes, you did say what is the difference in a post above. " why should a small dog bite be referred to any differently"? well...i never said that it was ok or acceptable to be bitten by a toy breed.....but...i surely would rather have my ankle bitten by a chihuahua...than be mauled to death by a pitt bull!!!!

that is the difference!!!

a friend of mine was riding her horse on a trail when a pitt came out of nowhere...grabber her leg and tried his best to drag her off the horse. had he succeeded...she wouldnt be here today as she was alone and far enough away for noone to hear her calling for help....the neighbors got together and tried their best to find this dog...they were naturally concerned as they lived in a remote area and most of them had young children who played outside a lot...how would you feel if you spent your hard earned money to have a nice home and yard for your child to play in ...only to have to always be in fear of a pitt killing one of your kids??? once again...bad dog......bad owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!end result...another dead pitt bull!!!
Post Reply New Topic