Westie is shedding!

Westie is shedding!

sharyna

QUOTE 8/14/2005 1:08:50 AM
I need some help. My Westie sheds a lot. I have dog hair all over the place. Does anyone know how I can stop him from shedding so much. I know that Westies are not a breed that sheds. I may not be doing my part. I don't brush him daily but he gets a bath weekly. Could his shedding be a result of my not brushing him daily?? Or could his dog food be the reason....I have just read that I should not feed him dog food with beef, corn or wheat. I think that may fix his skin allergies, but do you think it will fix his shedding as well???
anasazi

QUOTE 8/14/2005 1:05:09 PM
Not sure the cause of your problems but one thing you need to change is stop giving so many baths. Westies have very little oil in their skin, hence the no 'doggie odor'. To many baths will dry out their skin causing them to itch. I give my westie a bath about every 6 months, maybe longer. In between baths I brush him daily but I think brushing at least once a week is fine.. When you brush, use a dry shampoo powder. The powder will remove the dirt and debris from the hair. The powder I use is called 8and1 Perfect Coat dry shampoo powder, you can get it at petsmart or petco. The powder has a nice scent and will make the dog look white. WHile Im on the subject of hair.. The more baths you give this breed the softer the coat will be, therefore the head hair will only flop. To get the round full head, always brush the head hair forward. The powder helps to make the hair a little more coarse too..

anasazi

QUOTE 8/14/2005 1:06:05 PM
Continue;

Now on to the food issue. Beef is ok.. but definitely stay away from any food containing wheat and corn.. As wheat and corn (especially wheat) can cause major skin allergies in westies. I would go with a premium brand of dog food such as the following;

Wellness: http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/index.asp

California Natural:

Innova
Innova EVO

Canidae; I hear many people who have westies with skin allergies do very well on Canidae.

I feed my dogs Innova EVO and they do real well on the food.. Just remember when you change food, to gradually add the new food to the existing food a little at a time. It should take you about 2 weeks to get them on the new food. In that time you may see running or very soft stools but stick with it, it should straighten out to a normal consistancly in a few weeks. If runny stools should persist after a month, I would then nix that food and go with something else.

Make sure you read the daily food requirement on the food you choose.. as they are different requirements on the premium brands than the lower grade foods.. Premium brands have more nutrition and less fillers therefore your dog eats less of the premium brand.

anasazi

QUOTE 8/14/2005 1:07:45 PM
AS for the hair shedding.. It could be both the food and the weekly baths thats causing this.. Westies do shed a little but not awhole lot.. I get most of the hair out by combing and do see a few fur balls on my floor occasionally.. If your dog is losing clumps of hair and has bald spots,. then get him/her to the vet ASAP.

Lastly, I would suggest you get the book called "westies from head to tail" By Ruth Faherty. Its an excellent book that covers everything from choosing a puppy up to the senior years.. A must have for every westie owner.

anasazi

QUOTE 8/14/2005 1:09:28 PM
I didnt forget to add the website for the Innova and California products... for some reason I can not get to their website.. I will post it later or maybe someone else can post it.
sharyna

QUOTE 8/14/2005 3:59:48 PM
Well he doesn't have any bald spots. He has a lot of hair. It's pretty thick. I just know that his hair is every where. I can't go any where without hair being on my clothes. I have to use one of those rollers. I going to go with Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. I read that it was a good brand for Westies. I'll see how he does with it and then I'll try the brand you recommended. I'll try cuttig back on the bathes, but I did that once before and it didn't change anything. I'll try it again. Thank you.
anasazi

QUOTE 8/14/2005 6:06:02 PM
Before I began grooming my westie, I used to take him to a groomer every other month.. He would itch like crazy. Now that Ive stopped bathing him so much he doesnt scratch.. I dont know how long you waited in between baths but it takes awhile to notice.. I forgot to add to my last posts that by adding fish oil or flaxseed oil to the food will also help their skin. Just add a teaspoon to dry kibble. Again, it takes time to notice any improvements.

If your dog has alot of hair then I would suggest daily brushing or get him a summer cut, this would eliminate the dog hair.

Good luck with the Nutro

Do you have a dogster page? I would love to see your westie.

You can see my 2 westies here;

www.dogster.com/?46912
sharyna

QUOTE 8/15/2005 10:49:19 AM
Yeah I read about giving him the Omega-3 fish oil. I'm gonna go buy it and see if that helps. No, I don't have a dogster page. I'll check your out and maybe I'll make one so you can see my Westie too.
walkerhound01

QUOTE 9/4/2005 7:25:02 PM
Might I reccomend Shed-X Its a syrup that you poor on your dogs food then it dead hair in until you brush it out! Hope i Helped
Post Reply New Topic