Breeding my Chihuahua

Breeding my Chihuahua

babiloo4

QUOTE 12/21/2013 8:31:12 AM
Has anyone ever heard of breeding a Chi with a Morkie? I have a female Chi who weighs 5 lbs and my neighbor has a male Morkie who weighs 11 lbs. They are adorable together but now my Chi is in heat and my neighbor wants me to breed her with her Morkie. I am skeptical because of the weight and because I can't find anything on breeding a Morkie with a Chihuahua. Please help.
dihart

QUOTE 12/21/2013 3:16:28 PM
you would be foolish to breed an 11 pound male to a 5 pound female. If the genders were switched, the breeding would not be as inherently dangerous as it is. You could easily lose your Chi due to complications. So be prepared for that if you move forward with letting your dogs do 'what the doggies do’. I could go on for 10 minutes about why this a a bad idea, but in a nutshell this is the part most near and dear to your heart I hope, your dogs health.
lpeterson0521

QUOTE 2/22/2014 8:55:44 PM
Hello,

I hope you don't take offense to this, but what you would be breeding is a mutt. There are thousands of mutts in shelters, why produce more?

If you are interested in breeding your dog, and it is a purebred, I would recommend getting very familiar with your breed's standard. The standard is designed by the breed clubs, and is what every breeder should be aiming for when breeding dogs. The standard is the "blueprint" of what you want to build.

Next I recommend titling the dog in conformation, obedience, or something to prove the dog is workable. This gives valuable insight into the temperament of the dog. Bad temperaments are inherited (although environment does play a role), and you really want to push your dog to see how much pressure your dog can handle. Why is this necessary? Well, throughout life your dogs and the puppies from these dogs will be experiencing pressure. How a dog reacts to that pressure depends on a) Its genetic make-up, and b) How it was raised.

Then of course get familiar with all the genetic health problems associated with your breed and testing for them.

Breeding is a pain when you do it right, but there is nothing more rewarding than placing a well-bred dog in the arms of a family that loves them.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will make one in the best interest of the breed.
Post Reply New Topic