Allergy friendly dogs

Allergy friendly dogs

t1376gb

QUOTE 12/18/2004 10:00:19 PM
I have allergies but my kids are bugging me for a dog. What breeds are allergy friendly?

Geo
maltese_luv

QUOTE 12/24/2004 3:58:53 PM
Some breeds that I am aware of are poodles, chihuahuas, bichon frise, and maltese, but I am sure that there are many more.
lauren_smith04037

QUOTE 12/26/2004 12:42:52 PM
shihtzu, llasa apso, yorkie or any cross of these. I have a wire-hair dachshund that doesnt seem to cause problems. I have heard that the poodle and bichon frise are the best for those with allergies
stockbridge

QUOTE 12/27/2004 8:22:50 PM
cockapoo seems to work well too.
darklily

QUOTE 1/4/2005 10:43:52 AM
I've heard that Australian Cattle dogs are allergy friendly. I know they are very easy to keep clean.
luvmypup

QUOTE 1/18/2005 4:11:37 PM
You might could try the chinese crested dog they have very little hair. A friend of mine had one and he looked like a little horse had hair only on his feet tail and down his neck.

Amanda
anasazi

QUOTE 1/18/2005 5:05:16 PM
Westies are supposed to be allergy friendly, and they don't produce a 'dog' smell either.

Did you know? Chinese Crested dogs get acne?? No kidding, I saw it on Animal Planet.. Weirdest thing!?
animalluver8

QUOTE 1/18/2005 6:40:34 PM
I've read a lot about the italian greyhound and they seem to have no odor and do not shed. They're adorable, too!
annasmom

QUOTE 1/19/2005 2:16:40 PM

Quote t1376gb:

I have allergies but my kids are bugging me for a dog. What breeds are allergy friendly?

Geo
How many kids? What ages? Have they had a dog before? Will the dog live inside or outside? Do YOU want a dog? Do you have a plan in place to teach your kids about dogs before you get one? Will the chores be done by one child, shared between them or will you be doing all the chores?

Are you willing to consider a rescued dog? Or, maybe adopt an older dog from a rescue shelter? Do you want to show or breed the dog?

All these factors are important first -- meet the need of the dogs and then you will have several breeds to choose from that will both be allergy friendly and a good fit into your family.

HTH
karenc64

QUOTE 2/17/2005 4:58:09 PM
maltese and poodles have no DANDER..thats what causes allergies
tessalicious9

QUOTE 2/17/2005 5:03:14 PM
Poodles, and other select breeds are low shedding, and may be a good choice.

I know lately there have been mixed breed dogs, such as labradoodles, golden doodles, etc., all of which claim to be hypo-allergenic. Well, these dogs are NOT hypo-allergenic dogs. Only a few are, and its impossible to tell which are/ arent untill they are of at least a few months old. Some dogs inherit the poodles coat, and others inherit the lab/ golden/ cocker/ whatevers coat. This is why there are so many homeless, because people think that they wont be allergic to them.
baubles2u

QUOTE 2/18/2005 8:50:46 AM
Try a chinese crested, not the powder puff variety as they have hair but the hairless. I also have allegies and live with a crested and 3 yorkies with no problems. A crested has a great loving temperment. They love to cuddle, be held and the center of the universe. Email me if you need a breeder in Midwest. Have a groomer that has 2 litters a year and has pups now
puppie9

QUOTE 2/18/2005 8:03:36 PM
LABS!!! they are awsome!!!
Post Reply New Topic