NEW USDA REGULATIONS EFFECTING BREEDERS

NEW USDA REGULATIONS EFFECTING BREEDERS

beaglebrat

QUOTE 5/11/2012 10:56:41 AM
I don't know if you all received the email form AKC, but this basically effects any breeder who sell puppies over the internet, requiring that we all become USDA licensed.

http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=4653

I do not have an "outside kennel".  My dogs are all raised in my house.  I want to keep it that way.   How will this effect me?

I wonder who HSUS paid off for this new rule?

kathystone

QUOTE 5/11/2012 1:12:08 PM
 Glad to see you are back! I have a question being as I am NOT a breeder and, if I read this correctly, ANYONE whgo sells dogs over the internet is affected. Therefore, all rescues, public dog pounds, animal shelters etc will also have to comply. Now, I believe it should not matter if you have 1 dog or 1,000 dogs. If something is "cruel" for one why not all?  I do not have the patience it takes to be a breeder. Waiting for your prize dog to have ehr beautiful pups only ot have an error where the mom eats the babies, or some knot head comes to visit( The inspector) and brings some disease you have never had a problem with. Nor do I want to fill my head with the bloodlines that nick and the ones who are a disaster. That is why I don't breed dogs. My hat is off to all you who are so patient and knowledgable about your dogs. I would not be able to let my babies go! The public is too fickle.

Anyway, I think that our congress persons might be able to find it within thier realm to put a monkey wrench in this one. Who si going to pay for all the inspectors who will be scouring the internet looking for people with moer than one dog? In my state you can sell dogs without a USDA license.  HOw about saving the Government a huge headache as well as some money. Throw out the USDA and make the states be the ones who enforce PROPERTY rights in that state since dogs are property adn denying the right to own property as guarenteed in the Constitution is not only wrong but illegal! 
christinastorla

QUOTE 5/12/2012 5:14:23 PM
We as breeders after the passage of the bogas B bill, testified at the capital on behalf of USDA stating USDA needs more instectors without the Humain Society as cohorts. In turn the USDA was given One Million more dallors for that perpose! Not to come up with more garbage for breeders! I as a hobby show breeder with 10 or LESS intact females. I was inspected and approved by not only USDA but AKC. I will be making a lot of calls Monday to find out where we stand. Are we now commercial breeders? Why don't they just inforse the laws we have? Does some one some where just set in their office at USDA and think of words and insane rules to herass good breeders. They need to cut ties with the Humain Society (who couldn't even comply with Prop. B anyway) butt and think for their selves. I need to know where I stand! Who gets the pay off now? 
beaglebrat

QUOTE 5/12/2012 8:22:26 PM
@KathyStone,  I am inspected by AKC and my dogs are licensed through the county but, you can sell dogs in my State as well with out being USDA licensed.  The only breeders that I know in my area that are USDA licensed are the big puppymills with hundreds of breeding dogs that sell directly to pet stores. 

beaglebrat

QUOTE 5/12/2012 8:25:53 PM
@Christina --  Do you have the regulation requirements to be USDA licensed?  To you keep and whelp your dogs in your home?  That is my #1 biggest concern is I heard that the USDA does not allow breeders to raise dogs in their home, you have to have them in an outside kennel building. 

I WILL NEVER RAISE MY PUPPIES OUTSIDE!  I WILL MOVE 2 HOURS TO CANADA FIRST!  Land of the free?  My Butt!  Land of the Animal Rights Activists right now it seems.

From what I hear, USDA would prefer "Sanitary Chicken/Rabbit wire cages.  Again, something I 100% disagree with.  It may be "cleaner" but it ruins the dogs legs/feet and puppies that are raised on wire will almost never potty train.

kathystone

QUOTE 5/12/2012 10:02:10 PM
 Yes, USDA will force you to raise your puppies in a "whelp building". You must keep your dogs in "a clean and sanitary manner" which used to mean on wire flooring. However, the new law passed in Missouri states that wire flooring is not acceptable. (Some manufactures must have paid the State a fortune. The new laws  only allow acceptable flooring from certain manufactures. Period! The State prefers PLASTIC FLOORING which will crack in sunlight over time.)

I thinbk that we can help government cut it's budget by getting rid of the USDA when it comes to dogs. Do the IRS as well and install a fair tax.

I have seen the damage from the wire floors. I have a rat terrier female with webbed feet due to the number of abscesses she has suffered over the years from the wire floors. I  don't like anyone telling me how to spoil my dogs. As a side note, USDA willl not allow toys in the pens as they cannot be sanitized. The state allows them as long as they are kept clean adn sanitized at frequent intervals. My dogs love cue balls and PVC pipe.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 5/13/2012 2:35:42 PM
Who would raise newborn puppies in a building separate from their home?  Certain breeds are notorious for laying on and crushing their puppies.   I have saved many puppies just this year when a tired mom accidentally lays on one.

Those first two weeks are crucial.  So many things can go wrong.   Only a Government Agency that knows nothing about breeding dogs would think that puppies should NOT be born and raised in the house.

As I said, I will not be USDA Licensed.  I will do what ever I need to do to be exempt.  If that means no shipping.... no shipping.  It is a shame though since I have a lot of wonderful East Coast families, and a VIP Shipper that delivers my puppies right now.  

ederakennel

QUOTE 5/14/2012 12:33:19 AM
looks like those of us who advertise on line . we will all have to make a fake web site connected to our ads saying "sorry we are sold out if you want a healthly puppy we are refering you to  so sand so kennel they have pups now "... I will NEVER raise my pups outside on wire no way in hell .ever!  My puppies are born right here beside me in the living room . I BARELY sleep the first 2 weeks im afraid someone will get stepped on layed on puppies are way too fragile the outside or even another Building stuff is not safe . they can get too hot or too cold get a draft and all die  no way. kiddy swimming pool and shredded newpaper in home under foot . well socalized and USE to household noises is the ONLY way to raise a family dog
kathystone

QUOTE 5/14/2012 11:37:30 AM
BRAVO AND WELL SAID!
christinastorla

QUOTE 5/15/2012 10:20:21 PM
I called the USDA and they say it won't effect me as a hobby show breeder internet or not. But again you can't really believe them because when I told them I was inspected by USDA and by whom. They replied "We don't inspect hobby show breeders. It was proubly just me because I fight them. And I will fight them to hell and back if they said I can't have my puppies in a birthing box next to my bed in my bedroom! Yes they can be stepped on, layed on, and some need a bit more care. I or my husband and even my mother comes over to give them 24/7 attention. Cleaning the box, sanitizing it, potty breaks. They don't have a clue what a good breeder goes through for their puppies. My vet will take my call anytime, day or night! Stand up for your rights or lose them!
beaglebrat

QUOTE 5/16/2012 6:14:47 PM
@Christina-- Do you have the actual "regulations" that were used when you became USDA licensed?   I have not been able to find them anywhere.  It is just what has been posted on the internet and it says because of cleanliness and what they want the materials to be made out of that they will not allow puppies to be in the house. 

I would LOVE this information. 

At this minute, they do not license breeders that sell on the internet, but that is what they are proposing to change.   Anyone who has over 3 bitches and I personally have over 3 bitches.

Post Reply New Topic