dogg attack

dogg attack

aaliyah11

QUOTE 10/24/2011 9:59:03 PM
Why would an 2yr old aitka dog attack my 8 year old for no reason at all.and attack so bad to have her skull exposed,when she knew and loved this dog.44 staples and 6 stitches prove their strength,but i don't get it.Did my friend abuse this poor dog?or is it in their nature?I am lost !!

kathystone

QUOTE 10/25/2011 4:57:17 AM
 Back in the late 70s early 80s I used to help out with Southern California Akita Rescue. There was a dog at the time who was number one stud dog. Everyone was breeding to him because he was so beautiful. He was also vicious and passed that nature on to his offspring.  I mean the kind of dog who attacks for no reason.

Akitas do not sexually mature until they are about 3 years old. Your friend did not have to do anything to provoke your dog. The fact that he lashed out at a young child for ANY REASON short of setting the dog on fire, concerns me. He was definitely in kill mode. Remember the original purpose for the breed was to hunt AND KILL bears. Please do not listen to your heart or make excuses for the dog. It is never worth risking a child's life for a dog. What he did may have been to show his true colors. I would recommend putting the dog down. I know it is hard as he is your baby but please think about what would have happened had he killed her? 
kathystone

QUOTE 10/25/2011 6:38:08 AM
 After thinking about it an re reading your post, I get the feeling this is perhaps not YOUR dog. Perhaps it belongs to a freind or neighbor? It does not change my viuew that the dog needs to go see Jesus.

We got a dog in from an owner who had thought he would make a "guard dog" out of an akita. The dog was vicious! After 2 weeks I still could not go into his run to clean it. Instead I had to stich a pole under the fence to remove the poop and hose down from the next pen. I let the leaders of rescue know. However, they felt the dog was rehabitable. They took it to a kennel of a woman who trained show dogs and had some of the top Germans Shepherd and schutzhund dogs in the country.The first morning they went to visit the new dog, one of the ladies stayed behind to discuss this dog with the kennel owner. The other went out to give the dogs treats. several minutes went by and the ladies decided to go see the new dog. They were horrified to see blood pouring out of the front of the dog run. This dog had grabbed the arm of the volunteer and was trying to eat her. They could not get him off her. They called animal control, the police, the fire department. Even using a fire hose did not slow this dog down from trying to kill the woman. When it was all over she did survive but was in critical care for several days. She had to go through years of surgery to replace her ear, rebuild her mangled arms, and breast. Was it worth it? Could this dog ever be put out in the public where he might grab a child? NO. He should have been put down. Not the dog's fault by any means but a vicious dog is a vicious dog and cannot be ever permitted to live, no matter what the breed. 
echo_alpha

QUOTE 12/4/2011 5:26:38 PM
there are several possabilities here but the most likely is that the adult dog was allowed to treat the child as it would one of it's puppies.  If you watch how puppies and their parents interact you will see a lot of face grabbing by the parents and the puppies react by being very submissive and passive resulting in no damage.  But human children don't know that and jerk back to get away resulting in sometimes horrendous looking injuries.  The "cure" is to make it clear to the dog that even the most juvenile human that is encountered is of higher status in the pack and not subject to any form of discipline from the dog. In other words the dog must instead act submissive toward any humans including children or infants.
kathystone

QUOTE 12/5/2011 12:00:30 AM
 Sure, let the  dog "learn to be submissive to human children" by eating another one.
Post Reply New Topic