Dishonest Breeders

Dishonest Breeders

missvink

QUOTE 9/19/2010 7:25:57 PM
I have learned so much over the last year on finding a breeder and want to open this topic up for discussion. I had been searching for a Shiba Inu for over 6 months and after going through so many different sites and uncovering so many scams and puppy mills, I thought I had finally found a breeder and went through the entire process, only to be disappointed again. The breeder promised to deliver a pure bred Shiba Inu with registration papers on July 11th. On that date, she had excuses why our puppy could not be delivered. We had paid in full for the puppy and also paid for the airline ticket.  My boyfriend called her and said he would buy a ticket and fly out to get the puppy so it could be delivered on time for my birthday. She promised to refund our airline fee for the puppy that we had paid in advance. To this date, we have not received the refund or registration papers and are still being given excuses. Since then, we have been told that our puppy may not even be pure bred and that her registration is not even recognized by most breeders. How do these breeders still exist when they are so dishonest? How do you keep from making this mistake again?  
missvink

QUOTE 9/19/2010 8:04:52 PM
Can anyone tell me what APRI registration really is? http://www.aprpets.org/
From what I can understand, it is really to protect those individual breeders like the dishonest ones that I dealt with at Sunny Terrace Kennels. It doesn't seem to be protecting the purity of the breeds or the consumers, but instead protecting the pocketbooks of the breeders and puppy mills. I would love to get some insight on this.
leemct

QUOTE 9/20/2010 3:31:16 AM
The American Pet Registry is mainly a registry for commercial kennels selling pets to the public or pet shop. At one time there were only a couple of dog registries The United Kennel Club UKC and The American Kennel Club AKC . The UKC prohibits brokering or selling of puppies to pet shops the AKC will register  puppies sold to the pet shop industry but has a sttrict inspection protocal and many of these kennel have been kicked out of the AKC  as a result in the last 10 to 15 year 38  mostly brand new  registries have emerged Many are very unethicla . For instance I breed Silky Terrier which look quite alot like a Yorkshire. With some of these registries all I need to do to change my Silkies into Yorkies is pay the registration fee and say they are Yorkies  The City of Los Angeles has a mandatory spay and Neuter law. The have listed the registries that they feel  are legitimate and if your dog is registered with that registry they may remain intact and be bred the regisrties are American Dog Breeders Assn , AKC ,UKC Continental Kennell Club Dog  Registry of America I personally would only buy UKC or AKC dogs I prefer UKC because they prohibit sellling puppies to a pet shop or broker. I have information on how to choose a reputable breeder and all kinds of information on the puppy scams out there on my web site at delayrekennel.com . It is totally free and might  help you out.  I am a AKC Canine Ambassador and hve been breeding dogs in LA since the late 60s  

amylovesdogs2

QUOTE 9/20/2010 4:22:33 PM
You may consider posting your statement on www.ripoffreport.com, if the breeder doesn't give you your money back.  It should show up if anyone searches that kennel name on the web.
mja1103

QUOTE 9/23/2010 11:27:37 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you. You need to contact the authorities where the seller lives and file a police report.
britterbritter115

QUOTE 9/29/2010 3:05:08 AM
I agree you should report them to proper authorities, and your best bet to look for when looking for a puppy is AKC or UKC, although even with AKC awhile ago they had some issues with some breeds and inbreeding. I know what its like to be disappointed and not get a dog promised, me and my husband basically did our research on the breed we wanted and then looked on here for a good breeder we contacted and spoke to many breeders we were excited but we also had to concentrate and decide if we liked them or if we had a bad fib. Truth is sometimes dishonest breeders are good at hiding and seem to slip into the cracks you can never be too sure. I personally like the breeders that will tell you if they don't like you or get a bad vibe from you then you will lose your deposit and the puppy will go to someone else. Those to me seem the best because they won't just take your money and run they are trying to make sure that the dog goes to a good home. I got my boxer from a breeder on this site. I love Tom and Margie they contacted us every monday and sent emails and photos of the puppies progress until we picked him up.  Good luck and hopefully you get a refund, if you keep getting excuses i would go to authorities and report them and possibly sue them for what your owed, hopefully it wont go that far but most it will scare them and you will get your money back and then will be able to get your puppy. Good luck again

Britt

sunnyterrace

QUOTE 11/9/2010 4:02:27 PM
missvink,

I believe your boyfriend Kevin purchased the shiba puppy in question from Sunny Terrace Kennels. I don't know what he told you but he put a deposit on the puppy when he was just a few weeks old and then failed to pay the balance in time for me to arrange for shipping on the desired date. I require final payment two week prior to the shipping date so I am able to get everything ready. I reminded him several times that the final payment was due but by the time he finally made the payment a day or two before the shipping date the early morning flights were full and the temperatures were too high to send him on a later flight. I did schedule another flight as soon as possible. Kevin decided instead to come pick up the puppy himself and out of the kindness of my heart I not only met him an hour from my house at the airport so he wouldn't need to rent a car but I agreed to refund the shipping fee as soon as I had another shiba puppy that would need shipped, as I had ALREADY PAID my shipper for the flight but it could go toward another flight. I was under no obligation to refund the shipping fee, it is clearly stated on my website when payment must be made. Kevin agreed to wait until I had another puppy go and as soon as I had another puppy leave I mailed the APRI registration papers and three generation pedigree with the shipping refund check, which HAS been cashed. I am sorry you are not happy with APRI, I show my dogs with APRI and like their service as a registry. You knew what registry I used before you adopted the puppy. I have copies of all of the e-mails back and forth and also e-mails that state how happy you and your boyfriend are with the puppy and a copy of the cashed check. Please stop slandering my name. I don't know if your boyfriend told you the wrong story to protect himself from not getting the puppy paid for in time for your birthday or if you are simply lying but I would be more than happy to forward all of the e-mails between your boyfriend and I to you because what you say is simply not true. 
katiekat33

QUOTE 11/9/2010 6:22:02 PM
Sunny, thank you so much for bringing this to light!  I get so sick of people always blaming 'dishonest breeders' when there are plenty of irresponsible puppy customers who try to take advantage of the breeder, too.  I get so tired of seeing things in ripoff report and other websites that slander breeders.
amkronk

QUOTE 1/24/2012 10:27:11 AM
I've had a bigger issue than paying for a dog and not receiving it. My husband and I have been searching high and low for an Alaskan Klee Kai in the Missouri area and when we finally found what seemed like a great breeder who seemed to be honest and caring we really got slapped in the face. My husband bought a puppy from a kennel 3 hours away from where we live, the breeder was nice enough to meet him halfway so he didn't have to make the full treck. We received the puppy who seemed to be the most loving, energetic puppy. We were reassured that the puppy was up to date on his shots and that we didn't need to do anything until he was due for his next round of shots. He was the most well behaved dog we had ever come across. Especially for only being a few weeks old. He was completely potty trained after a week, we thought we had hit the jack pot for an amazing dog. Well after we had him for about two weeks his demeanor completely changed. He wouldn't eat his food, he was becoming very slow and didn't want to move, he just wasn't himself. He was no longer energetic and happy and playful. We brought him to our local vet and the hell began. First the vet thought it was something simple like he had eaten something like a rock that had gotten stuck, or that he just had worms. Well that definitely wasn't the case. Our poor puppy ended up having to have a blood transfusion, stomach surgery, and after a long week of him having to stay at the vet, he needed another blood transfusion. The vet 
amkronk

QUOTE 1/24/2012 10:45:17 AM
then told us that the blood transfusion might not even work because there was no way he could figure out what was wrong with our puppy because of how weak he was. He told us that he was in pain and suffering even though he was on medication for the pain. We had to make the hard decision and have our puppy put down. We did everything we were supposed to, from the minute our puppy got sick we called the breeder to let her know and we called to make sure she was ok with us putting the puppy down. At first she seemed genuinely concerned and acted like she really wanted to help us out and really felt sympathy for us. She reassured us that she would replace the dog as soon as she bred another litter of Alaskan Klee Kai's. We had the dog put down on October 5, 2011. We have not heard from the breeder since about mid October. She told us she needed a copy of all the vet records so we sent them multiple times. Our vet personally paid to have a necropsy (autopsy on puppies) done because he was stumped as to why our dog was so sick. The results from the necropsy came back inconclusive and we still suffer every day knowing that our puppy was so sick and no one knows what it was. We were reassured that our vet at least knew that our dog had this illness before we received the dog and that him getting sick had nothing to do with anything we did. We have still not received a dog from the breeder and she? We need advice. doesn't even have the common courtesy to call us back or email us back. All we want is a puppy to replace the one we lost after only three weeks of having him. We want Crystal Davis and her business, Sunny Terrace Kennels to replace our puppy then we will be happy. What should we do
kathystone

QUOTE 1/24/2012 12:04:19 PM
 There are so many possible issues here. First, some puppies do not get full immunity from the first or second set of shots. Yet people take them out to the dog park  right away. Second, puppies are like small children and can try to eat almost anything. (I had a dog eat fly bait once and he died. The fly bait was in a trap located on a tree branch about 9 feet in the air.I don't know how he got it.)

Plus there are indeed genetic issues that are just a fact of life, not anyone's fault.  If the pup had died within a few days of your getting it, I iight agree it was the breeder's fault. However, since you had it for almost a month, I think it was more of an issue of waht happpened with it during it's short stay in your care. Or, like I said, perhaps it was just one of those things. At any rate, I am sure we are all sorry for your loss. 
rollinhranch

QUOTE 1/24/2012 11:27:25 PM
Why did they do the stomach surgery on the puppy?  What does your vet suspect was the problem, any ideas at all?
amkronk

QUOTE 1/27/2012 1:19:06 PM
The puppy had a virus from day one. Before we had even received the dog. It was not anything that had to do with having him in our care. And he had to have surgery on his stomach because they saw an abcess in his stomach that ended up being a rock but it wasn't effecting anything. The vet knows it was a virus that he ha since the day he was born but even after the necropsy they couldn't pinpoint the virus. But again it had nothing to do with our care of the puppy. And we only had the dog for a week before it got sick, not even close to a month.
kathystone

QUOTE 1/27/2012 1:30:32 PM
 AH! The truth finally comes out! The dog had a ROCK in his gut! Now, since he had a rock in his gut, there would be an infection caused by  a foreign object obstruction.   Here again is someone blaming the breeder for something that is their fault.  The "virus" the dog had since birth was not found by either the attending veterinarian nor the necropsy.  The problem with this dog was the owner not paying attention to a puppy who, like any small child, will pick up and ingest anything in it's surroundings. Obviously the puppy was outside. When you leave a puppy outside it can get into alot of things. Also, if you leave dog food  outside birds will get into it. Birds carry coccidia in their feces. Then the dog eats the food with coccidia and gets sick. Again NOT the breeder's fault. If it were me, I would not replace the puppy and I would not place another dog with an irresponsible dog owner.
amkronk

QUOTE 2/1/2012 10:02:46 PM
At kathystone, the rock had nothing to do with the virus. Obviously you are ignorant. The dog had a virus from birth! I will gladly give you my vets number and you can talk to him yourself since you think you know everything there is to know about dogs and owners. Our puppy had ONE rock in his stomach and it was not a serious problem, from an xray done by the VET he thought it might have been something that could cause a virus but it ended up being just an every day rock, which do not carry viruses and it did not cause any kind of infection or virus. And for your information Kathy, it was proven in the necropsy and by the vet that the puppy has had this virus since day one. The vet does know that the virus was carried by the mother and given to the puppy and that it is a very rare virus that he has not seen before, which is the reason why he could not name the virus! Maybe you should do some research because it seems you are uneducated in the fact that there are some viruses in the world that aren't yet named. So before you go calling someone an irresponsible owner why don't YOU do some research because I don't appreciate your accusations. We did everything in our power to be responsible pet owners, we watched him when he was outside, and would NEVER put our dog food outside, or do anything of irresponsible behaviour. Every dog eats rocks, so get over yourself. Just because he had a rock in his stomach does not mean that was the cause of a virus. Rocks do not cause viruses. If you have any other accusations or questions feel free to let me know. THANKS!
kathystone

QUOTE 2/2/2012 10:33:27 AM
  Here is what you said, if I understand you correctly. You "bought a puppy that was a few weeks old". Legally it would have been at least 8 weeks old. You had this puppy for 2 weeks and it was happy, playful and energetic. Then suddenly it stopped being playful and became lethargic, not wanting to even move. You called the breeder. I am guessing you also called your vet to set up a health examination to finbd out why. So you take your puppy to the vet and he xays the pup. He finds an abnormality that he thinks might be a cyst/ growth. It turns out to be an encapsulated rock.  Obviously the rocvk had been there for some time. Any time a dog ingests a foreign object it can cuse problems until it is passed. This rock was there for some time as it was encapsulated.Yet, you blame  your dog's illness " on a virus that the mother had and th pup had when purchased." The rock which was enough of a problem that it needed surgery had nothing to do with your dog being sick. OK...
amkronk

QUOTE 2/2/2012 12:46:06 PM
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. The rock was not a problem that caused him to be sick. The rock had absolutely nothing to do with it. The rock was just another thing they found that ended up not being a big deal. They took it out, end of story. At first the vet thought it might have been causing a problem, but it ended up not being the problem. When a dog has a virus like this one, they have it for a long time, not just two weeks. The thing about viruses is the dog might not show any symptoms for a while because it is not something vets check for in a normal screeing/appointment. The thing you are not understanding is the rock was pretty much like an innocent bystander persay. It wasn't the cause of the problem nor did it affect the outcome. The breeder has all the vet records as well and has acknowledged the fact that the records show that it was a virus and that it wasn't anything done by us or by her in general. It was just a bad dog, it was sick from day one with a virus that could not be treated because no treatments were working. The problem came when the breeder started saying she had a litter on the way and we could go look at the puppies to pick the one we wanted, then she all of a sudden stopped responding to us. It was proven that the virus was the cause of the dog needing to be put down, not anything done by us as the owners.
dianab28

QUOTE 2/5/2012 10:22:30 AM
I hope your vet checked for Parvo?  There are also several bacterial infections that can be picked up from the environment, especially if you live in the country where you will have wild animals wandering through your yard.  If you live in town, stray animals could also transport infections.  I tell clients if they don't have a fenced in yard to buy  a play yard until their puppies are fully vaccinated.  Did you get a contract when you bought your puppy?  My contract says to take the puppy to the vet within 5 business days after taking possession to protect not only me but also my customers and other puppies in my home.  If I have a health issue in my program I want to know about it so I can fix it.  I would hope others feel the same.  If you ever find out what was wrong please let us know.

amkronk

QUOTE 2/8/2012 5:50:45 PM
He did check for Parvo and every other virus/illness he could think of. 
terrabrace69

QUOTE 4/3/2014 7:29:13 AM

Quote missvink:

I have learned so much over the last year on finding a breeder and want to open this topic up for discussion. I had been searching for a Shiba Inu for over 6 months and after going through so many different sites and uncovering so many scams and puppy mills, I thought I had finally found a breeder and went through the entire process, only to be disappointed again. The breeder promised to deliver a pure bred Shiba Inu with registration papers on July 11th. On that date, she had excuses why our puppy could not be delivered. We had paid in full for the puppy and also paid for the airline ticket.  My boyfriend called her and said he would buy a ticket and fly out to get the puppy so it could be delivered on time for my birthday. She promised to refund our airline fee for the puppy that we had paid in advance. To this date, we have not received the refund or registration papers and are still being given excuses. Since then, we have been told that our puppy may not even be pure bred and that her registration is not even recognized by most breeders. How do these breeders still exist when they are so dishonest? How do you keep from making this mistake again?  
I just want to say that I myself personally purchased a Akita from sonny Terace and I have not had any problems. She met me gave me the vet papers and he was chipped and everything and I have never once questioned wether he is full blood or not I'm not sure what ur issue is with ur dog but I myself am very happy I have the most beautiful Akita and I can't go anywhere that he don't get attention and as matter of fact I emailed sonny terrace several times even months after I got the puppy and I've always gotten a reply so in my opinion she's a great breeder easy and willing to work with u if I could insert a pic of my beautiful dog I would
Post Reply New Topic