silky & yorkie

silky & yorkie

lynnkussman

QUOTE 9/5/2010 4:52:21 AM
I am new to all of this, have never thought about breeding dogs. I have a silky and yorkie (both males). I would like to get a female to breed with the silky. He is small, 5 or 6 lbs. I haven't thought about selling, we have family that want puppies from him, but if it goes well who knows.  Suggestions, yorkie or silky female?  To sell or not to sell? He is APR, again I'm not sure what that means. HELP PLEASE
kathystone

QUOTE 9/5/2010 5:36:08 AM
 Breeding dogs is not as easy or profitable as you might think. First off, have your dogs been tested for the genetic problems of silkies? Patella subluxation is one that comes to mind. You can find out more by contacting your breed club.

There are several different registries out ther. Some are more strict and actually require the stud dogs be dna tested to be sure when the papers say it is a yorkie or silkie it actually is and  not a mixed breed someone has slapped papers on. They even do kennel inspections to see the dogs are well cared for and not in rabbit cages. Others register a dogs from a picture.

Once you have selected a female who's pedigree is outstanding and who is a good representative of the breed, you will need to test both dogs for Brucellosis, a disease that is like VD in humans. It will wipe out your litter before they are even born in some cases. (Of course your male is already an outstanding dog of correct type, not too big or small with 2 testicles, good eyes and knees, no skin issues, etc.) 

Hopefully she will not be overly aggressive and get into fights with the other two dogs. Consider neutering the yorkie or you might have mixed breed pups as a male dog WANTS a female dog...in most cases.  You will also need to set up an appointment with your vet to do fecals on the dogs before your mating takes place. Check for internal parasites as well as heart worms.

Once she is bred you will HOPEFULLY have pups about 62 days after the matings. Be prepared for a caesarian section. They run from $300- over a thousand dollars depending on where you live. You might want to stock up on puppy milk replacer too just in case the female does not nurse, tries to eat her pups or isn't interested in being a mom.

The pups should be wormed at 3 weeks, 5 weeks and 7 weeks or as prescribed by your vet. Worms can kill a puppy if they are not gotten rid of. You will need to make appointments for shots. Check with your vet for the schedule he or she prefers. It is usually a series of 2 before they are weaned. You may also want to use a flea repellant on the mom. If fleas are an issue for you, remember there are no products for babies until they are 4 weeks old except all natural stuff and you might need to bathe them daily.

A silkie does not have a large litter in most cases. Hopefully you will be able to recoupe some of your expense but don't expect to make big bucks breeding dogs if you do it the right way.
lynnkussman

QUOTE 9/5/2010 11:31:41 AM
Thanks for your help.  We are looking for a female to expand our family, not only for breeding, which is why I ask yorkie or silky. The male we would be breeding is a silky.  I see the designer dogs if you will, and was wondering about yorkie & silky mix. I love both. We are not planning on make money on the dogs, they are pets. There are many reasons I am thinking of breeding, I only ask about selling if in the end we end up with one or two extra. I have told family this process would take quit some time, on average how many puppies do they have, I thought 1 or 2, one time a year?? In making this decision I have a lot of questions and thinking to do so if I could pick your brain here and there would be wonderful. Thanks
spanglegurl

QUOTE 9/5/2010 2:47:05 PM
Like the poster above said you will want to have your male dog tested for gentic health problems, along with the female. According to www.animalplanet.com silky terriers have some minor health issues that should be tested for, including "intervertebral disc disease, elbow dysplasia, patellar luxation, Legg – Perthes"

Females will usually go into heat every 6-8months and should only be bred once a year to give their body a break in between litters. Idealy a female shouldn't be bred until she is 2-3years old. You will want the male to be smaller then the female so that you don't risk too large of puppies. So if your male is a silky terrier you would probably want a female silky terrier as well.

A lot can go wrong with small dogs and birth so you want to talk to your vet before, after and during the breeding, gestation, and birth. Puppies will need dewormers and shots to keep them healthy. Parvo is extremly fatal to small puppies so you don't want them to be around other dogs until they have had all their shots. I think silky terriers usually have about 3 pups.

I would put together a waiting list of homes prior to breeding to ensure they will all have a good home. Please do plenty of research before you breed! It's a big responsiablity, plus there are a lot of dogs without homes so consider if you are bettering the breed before you bring more of them into the world.
leemct

QUOTE 9/17/2010 1:06:40 PM
If you are seriously wanting to breed then deffinately a female Silky. No sense in mixing the two breeds.

The Silky is less common than the Yorky  thus has less genetic problems .  They do list C Sections are common in the Medical and Genetic Aspects of Purebred dogs so you do not want a undersized female

The Silky should be 9 to 10 inches at the shoulder  female weight about 8 to 9 lbs under 7.5 lbs will almost always guarantee a C Section . You may also want to find the rules of breeding in your area .

In Los Angeles CA you must get a breeders permit to breed one litter . However the registry you listed is not an approved registry and your dog if in Los Angeles would have to have been spayed or neutered

These laws are being considered all over the country.     
Post Reply New Topic