Making sure I am asking the right questions

Making sure I am asking the right questions

s.link

QUOTE 8/28/2010 12:00:07 PM
I am a new prospective dog owner looking for a Maltese puppy. After registering on this site I was contacted by two different breeders. I responded to one of the breeders asking if they could send me pictures of the dog as well as of its parents and they did, all looking very healthy and happy. I also Googled them and the only thing that came up was one positive comment that is very recent. All in all it seems to me that everything is in order, but as I have never purchased an animal online I want to make sure I am asking all of the right questions. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
bobbiematus

QUOTE 8/29/2010 3:08:20 PM
Make sure you can go and see the puppy, the conditions where it was bred, the parents of the puppy. If that isn't possible (I'm leery of dogs being shipped) get references. The best advise is to find breeders in your area and contact them to see what's available so you can pick up the pet. You can do a search online from breeders.com to find a breeders near you. Check the classified in your area. You want to be able to meet the breeder (owner) and see the puppy.

digitaldog

QUOTE 8/31/2010 2:37:18 PM
Actually, I think there are ALOT of questions you should be asking... like why did they breed their dogs?  Just to have puppies to sell?  Probably not the best answer.  Did you ask about screening for health problems?  Every breed has some health issues and all breeding stock should be screened to help insure the pups aren't afflicted (even tho in many cases it's never 100%).

I'd suggest you check out some of the questions suggested in the breed profile section of DigitalDog dot com. 

In general, I'd suggest that buying a puppy online is a pretty bad idea.  Not that everyone is dishonest but that it's way too easy to be dishonest by posting pics that are old of dogs that may not even be the ones in question.  It's happened before.

katiekat33

QUOTE 9/1/2010 11:47:22 PM
Digital, if you think purchasing a puppy on-line is a bad idea, then why are you posting on a WEBSITE that sells puppies?  Or are you using this site to promote your own website?
spanglegurl

QUOTE 9/4/2010 1:01:56 PM
The maltese breed as far as I know have no major health concerns but some minor health problems they have are; "patellar luxation, open fontanel, hypoglycemia, hydrocephalus, distichiasis, entropion" (from www.animalplanet.com) So you will want to discuss this with the breeder. Ask them why they are breeders, how long they have been breeding, why they like that breed. Some breeders are out to better the breed, others are just here to make a quick buck. Try to stay clear of breeders who claim to sell teacup puppies. Some breeders are just going along with the "teacup" hype but others are purposley breeding extremley small puppies that may have health issues and short lives. You also want to ask your breeder what shots your puppy has gotten and dewormers.
mja1103

QUOTE 9/23/2010 11:21:52 PM
There are several questions that everyone needs to ask a breeder/seller. Furthermore, a buyer should be prepared to be asked and answer several questions. Some questions to ask a breeder: "What health/temperament testing has been done?" "What is the goal of your breeding program? How many dogs do you have and how many litters per year?" "What registry/clubs are you affiliated with?" "Do you have a contract?" Questions a responsible breeder may ask: "Do you have a fenced yard? Children? Ages?" "Are you familiar with this particular breed?" "What other pets are in your home?" "Are you home/gone for an extended period of time?" "What is the name of your vet?"

Both buyers and sellers need to do their homework before any transaction takes place!

beaglebrat

QUOTE 10/14/2010 10:17:37 PM
Here is a fun game that I like to play.... it use to get all the rescue people so "riled up" on here.  Using actual facts and data against them....... I know all these web sites recommend finding a breeder that does all this genetic testing, unfortunatly, if you waited for that in some small/toy breeds, you just wouldn't get the dog, because no breeders are testing.

Maltese for example.  This information was taken directly from the OFFA website on 10/14/2010.  Keep in mind that they have been recording testing results for the last 30 years.  So when I give the number of tests recorded--it's not for the YEAR but for the last 30 years.

Number of Maltese OFA hip tested= 11

Patella= 128 EVER!!!

Cardiac= 29

Thyroid= 7

Temperament testing is also a bunch of bull.  Do we temperament test newborns at 8 weeks?  It would make about as much sense.  Puppies are a clean slate and what you make of them with time and training.  Puppies can also act completely different when they are in a new surrounding and away from their littermates. 

I went to a college that focused on Behaviorism.  I didn't believe in that theory either, because you will always find exceptions to these tests and theories.

Post Reply New Topic