buying online

buying online

bobbiematus

QUOTE 8/27/2010 9:22:24 AM
I have found a puppy that I fell in love with from one of the advertisers on this site. they sent me pictures, gave me info but wouldn't send me pictures of the parents.  I offered to pay for the dog in full and wanted them to hold the dog until after sept 12 they turned me down and told me they didn't want to keep the dog that long and to check back with them to see if it was still available. this makes me suspicious. I have googled the owners name and the websites name to no avail. Has anyone had any experience with ozarkpet??

jchamp52

QUOTE 8/27/2010 11:31:25 AM

Quote bobbiematus:

I have found a puppy that I fell in love with from one of the advertisers on this site. they sent me pictures, gave me info but wouldn't send me pictures of the parents.  I offered to pay for the dog in full and wanted them to hold the dog until after sept 12 they turned me down and told me they didn't want to keep the dog that long and to check back with them to see if it was still available. this makes me suspicious. I have googled the owners name and the websites name to no avail. Has anyone had any experience with ozarkpet??

I am a breeder and I see NO reason they would not show you pictures of the parents, unless they sell puppies for several other people (which I do not know)

I used Yahoo and Google, I found Ozark Pet without any problem, I did not type the name together, I typed it as I have listed it above. The first entry was for a breeder of Shih Tzu in Missouri. They appear to be a mother/daughter kennel??? I was NOT able to find a contact phone number, just an email address, but that is not un-common, many breeders do not list a contact number but will provide it once you contact them via email. 

I also see NO reason they would not want to hold a puppy for you, I do it all the time, granted you will probably be charged a small daily feed/board fee. But that should not make a major difference.

My health guarantee is the same if the pet is shipped on the scheduled date or several days later.

YES, I would be very suspicious of any breeder that would not, or could not send me pictures when requested, or give me a believable reason.

As for holding the pet, they may have had another buyer....I would not know, All I can state is what I would do in the same situation.

bobbiematus

QUOTE 8/27/2010 4:27:17 PM
they did give me a phone number and I did call them. They told me they had someone else interested at which time I offered to pay them in full if they would hold the dog until Sept 12. They said they didn't want to. I told them I had no choice as I was going out of town and wouldn't be back until Sept 12. I told them I was in love with the dog and would being giving her a wonderful home and she would be spoiled rotten. They told me to check back with them after the 12th to see if she was still available and that they would have more litters then. It bothered me so I checked with nextdaypet and they told me they have been advertising for three years on the site with no complaints. That made me feel better but I can't stop wondering why they wouldn't hold the dog. I spoke to a breeder here in Fl and she was willing to hold a dog without a deposit. Unfortunately it wasn't what I wanted.  I really wish there was a way to check the good breeders from the bad. I'm still not sure about them even though they look like a nice family owned business. I have done a search for every shih tzu breeder in Florida and have emailed them with what I want. Hopefully, I will find a puppy that I can go see and pick-up.

Bobbie

kathystone

QUOTE 8/27/2010 6:46:05 PM
 I agree with the breeder.Here's why. We held dogs for people without a deposit only to be told they changed their mind 3 weeks later. A dog is easy to place as an 8 week old pup, much harder as a 4-5 month juvenile. So we started asking for a deposit. Nothing big, just $50. Still had a few dogs who grew up here instead of in a loving home as the people moved/were on "vacation til next week can you hold him abit  longer" etc. So we started to charge board at $5/a day. Payable up front of course along with the $50 deposit.That seemed to help some but we still have flakes who reserve a dog then don't bother to go to the pick up point when  it is shipped AND demand their money back because it was inconvenient for them to get up and pick up thier new dog!

Sadly, there are scammers on both sides of a dog's relocation. After a while I am sure the breeders get burned out...but we keep on smiling and going forward. By the way, why could you not go ahead and purchase the dog then board him/her on your end? Too inconvenient or what?
bobbiematus

QUOTE 8/28/2010 10:08:00 AM
I offered to pay for the dog in full not just a deposit. The 8 week old puppy was being shipped. Personally, I have a wonderful pet sitter who will be watching my male shih tzu when I'm away but I didn't want a baby puppy to go from the breeder to a pet sitter. I want to be the first person to hold that baby and bond with her. Both my shih tzu's were purchased at 12 weeks which is what this baby would be when I get back.  I did advise them that I would check back with them to see if she's still available at which time I asked for references. I have not heard from them. Do they care about who's buying their dogs. I'm even more suspicious now then I was before.

dihart

QUOTE 8/28/2010 10:19:30 AM
     we will hold a puppy for a client if their schedule requires some lead time before they can pick up. Especially if they pay in full for the puppy as I believe  Bobbie has said that she would do. Our normal deposit we ask is 1/2 the cost of the puppy tho. Why mess around with someone who is not committed to that pup and maybe turn away someone who really does want it - and asking only $50 deposit Kathy, I believe you would still get people who "change" their minds on a whim.

But sometimes holding a puppy is inconvenient for the breeder too, maybe they have several litters right then and are full with puppies, maybe they  have a vacation planned themselves....they are people with lives so there is certainly a possibility that they have something on their schedule. If not I would imagine that they should be fine with keep puppy for an additional 2 weeks so that she would have a wonderful home.

And I believe that would be much better for the puppy than it being bought and then boarded for two weeks right off the bat. If it were boarded right away it would be confused and lonely and not able to bond with its new family, and could easily take steps backwords in its process of learning to be their dog.  Dont get me wrong, boarding with a good facility is fine when necssary, I just dont think that a newly purchased  puppy  should be put right into that situation before it has had even a couple of weeks to bond with its new family and get better established, eating, growing, feeling safe within that new environment. Would be better to keep it where it has been its whole little life and is used to that 
spanglegurl

QUOTE 8/28/2010 10:55:06 AM
I'd go with your gut, if the place makes you feel uncomfortable or suspisious it's best to find a diffrent breeder. Maybe try looking at breeders outside of Florida and paying a shipping fee. Shih Tzu's are a pretty popular dog so you are going to find a lot of bad breeders, but also some good ones.
Post Reply New Topic