ID VERIFIED???

ID VERIFIED???

mobullybabies

QUOTE 11/22/2010 11:56:36 AM

Quote 24tracey:

Hey J.C. , I did decide to wait on Tank..Like I said before at this point I love him very much. I am going to put a copy of letter I wrote to him (breeder) and his response..keep in mind there are 3 letters I wrote him and three different responses. If you are curious about the other two just let me know and I will post them too...

1st letter

November 3, 2010                 

I came to your home last Sunday, October 31, 2010, to pick up a red and white Chihuahua (Tank) for $100.00.  I was lead to believe that this dog is a full blooded Chihuahua; however, when I took Tank to the veterinarian’s office yesterday, November 2, 2010, the vet showed concern that Tank was, in fact, not a full blooded Chihuahua and that he may be a Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix.  The doctor also told me that Tank seemed to be unhealthy due to the fact that his nails were very white which is a sign of malnutrition.  Tank was also smelly, dirty, and unkempt upon my arrival to your home.  My vet was concerned about the way the transaction took place as you did not allow me to view the mother, Sandy, and I have only seen a picture of the father, Red Baron.

Tank also has hookworms and Coccidia, a possibly fatal parasite.  On your website, you stated that, before purchase, Tank would have already been vet checked, be up-to-date on shots and worming, and come with a health guarantee.  Tank apparently has not received any worming treatment as he has both worms and a parasite.  He also is not healthy, but you did not give me any sort of “health guarantee” as stated you would.

It has already cost me just as much to restore Tank’s health as it cost me to purchase him from you.  I am also concerned as to why you were able to lower the price of this dog from $350.00 to only $100.00 if he truly is a full blooded dog.  Also, I have to take him back to the vet in three weeks for another check up because of his health problems.  I feel as though you have misrepresented yourself and your “full-blooded” Chihuahuas by stating that you are ID Certified by NextDayPets and affiliated with the Georgia Department of Agriculture.  I do not believe that you are affiliated with these two organizations or you would not conduct business in the way that you have.

Although I love Tank to death, and have since I first saw him on your site, I am concerned for the wellbeing of not only him, but also the other puppies you are breeding and selling.  I have done some reading on the problems Tank currently has, and I found that “if one dog of a litter has coccidiosis, then most certainly all dogs at a breeder's kennels have active coccidia infections. Breeders should be notified if a newly-acquired pup is discovered to be infected with coccidia. Breeders can take steps to eradicate the organism from their kennels, including applying medications in bulk to an entire facility.”  I was told by the vet that I have a responsibility as Tank’s new owner to let you know for other possible pet owners that your other puppies have more than likely also been exposed to the parasite and worms that Tank has.

I am requesting that you refund me half of my purchase price ($50.00) as I feel I have been misled into believing that you were an accredited dog breeder; it seems as though you are running a puppy mill.  I am going to keep Tank as I have already spent a great deal on him to correct his malnutrition and health problems, and I have already become attached to the puppy.  However, I am extremely unhappy about the business you are running and do not feel as though I should have been misled by you.

You can contact me by phone, or by email, in order to resolve this matter.  If we are unable to come to an agreement, I will contact both of your “partners” to resolve this matter and make sure you do not mislead any other customers.             

Sincerely,

Tracey

His response...

Received on Nov. 4, 2010  1:06 pm

I assure you your puppy received the best care here possible. I am by no means a puppy mill and if you wanted to see the parents all you had to do was ask. If you want a refund I will issue you a full refund upon return of the puppy. Evidently your vet doesn't know dogs to well whereas both parents are full blooded chihuahuas. I don't now or never have had a jack russel terrier. Please let me know when to expect you to return the puppy so I can be here to givwe you your refund. The reason I markwed his price lower is because he was getting older and they are not as easy to sale when they get his age. If you encountered problems I am sorry but he did get proper treatment here. I am not a puppy mill and am licensed.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Sorry Tracey but I would 100% agree with the breeder.    

Did you see pictures of the puppy before you purchased it?    You state you have another chi so I'm assuming you know what their characteristics are - if he didn't look full blooded when you went to pick him up you didn't have to take him, you could have kept your money and walked away.      If you saw his pictures before you purchased him then you must have liked his look until your vet made a comment.     When you breed a dog you have the possibility of getting all the good characteristics of the parents, all the bad characteristics of both parents or 50/50.     Not every puppy is going to look like a show dog.   

Not in this link - but you have mentioned the registry of this puppy too.     Did you not know what the registry was before you purchased the pup?      If you knew before hand and didn't have a problem with the puppy not being AKC then it shouldn't bother you now.

Breeders commonly mark down dogs as they get older - I personally start marking down when they are 7 weeks old if they haven't sold yet.     If the puppy was older then that he could have been marked down tremendously.   

Worms are tricky little creatures - we worm at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks of age with a wormer recommended from our vet (our vet actually worms them at 6 & 8 weeks old).    Once in a while we will have a puppy that checks out with worms at their 9 week check up with the new owners.    Worms are a common puppy problem, all puppies have them.    It should be a simple fix, at the most your vet should charge you $5 to fix that problem - if he charges you more you're vet is ripping you off.   

Coccidia is a nasty little bug too.    We have NEVER had a problem with it before until our last two litters - 16 puppies.    Everyone went home perfectly healthy and within a week I got a phone call from 3 of the new owners stating their pups had coccidia.    Thankfully, I had very understanding owners that didn't throw a fit and demand their $1200.00 back due to a common puppy problem.    I contacted all of the other puppy owners and nobody else had any problems with it.        This is a pain in the butt to get over but they can in a short time, it also should not be an expensive fix.

Most health guarantees only cover life threatening hereditary problems - none of which you stated he has.     Worms and coccidia are both easily treatable, common puppy problems, neither of which is expensive to deal with.    I understand you expect a healthy puppy when you receive it but at the same time you got a discounted dog - apparently 75% off or so, put the discount towards his vet bills.     When you get a dog you accept the monetary responsibility of it and understand that puppies do get sick and do require treatment.   

I also would not refund your money unless you brought the puppy back to me.       
24tracey

QUOTE 11/22/2010 12:16:52 PM

Quote mobullybabies:

Sorry Tracey but I would 100% agree with the breeder.    

Did you see pictures of the puppy before you purchased it?    You state you have another chi so I'm assuming you know what their characteristics are - if he didn't look full blooded when you went to pick him up you didn't have to take him, you could have kept your money and walked away.      If you saw his pictures before you purchased him then you must have liked his look until your vet made a comment.     When you breed a dog you have the possibility of getting all the good characteristics of the parents, all the bad characteristics of both parents or 50/50.     Not every puppy is going to look like a show dog.   

Not in this link - but you have mentioned the registry of this puppy too.     Did you not know what the registry was before you purchased the pup?      If you knew before hand and didn't have a problem with the puppy not being AKC then it shouldn't bother you now.

Breeders commonly mark down dogs as they get older - I personally start marking down when they are 7 weeks old if they haven't sold yet.     If the puppy was older then that he could have been marked down tremendously.   

Worms are tricky little creatures - we worm at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks of age with a wormer recommended from our vet (our vet actually worms them at 6 & 8 weeks old).    Once in a while we will have a puppy that checks out with worms at their 9 week check up with the new owners.    Worms are a common puppy problem, all puppies have them.    It should be a simple fix, at the most your vet should charge you $5 to fix that problem - if he charges you more you're vet is ripping you off.   

Coccidia is a nasty little bug too.    We have NEVER had a problem with it before until our last two litters - 16 puppies.    Everyone went home perfectly healthy and within a week I got a phone call from 3 of the new owners stating their pups had coccidia.    Thankfully, I had very understanding owners that didn't throw a fit and demand their $1200.00 back due to a common puppy problem.    I contacted all of the other puppy owners and nobody else had any problems with it.        This is a pain in the butt to get over but they can in a short time, it also should not be an expensive fix.

Most health guarantees only cover life threatening hereditary problems - none of which you stated he has.     Worms and coccidia are both easily treatable, common puppy problems, neither of which is expensive to deal with.    I understand you expect a healthy puppy when you receive it but at the same time you got a discounted dog - apparently 75% off or so, put the discount towards his vet bills.     When you get a dog you accept the monetary responsibility of it and understand that puppies do get sick and do require treatment.   

I also would not refund your money unless you brought the puppy back to me.       
Hi mobullybabies,

Thanks for responding also and yes I did see a pic of my puppy before I purchased him and yes I knew he was CKC instead of AKC, and NO it does not bother me. Tank looked the same (except the ears) when I picked him up and the breeder mentioned the "teething".  I was really a lil upset when I started asking questions on this forum but after getting responses from people I calmed down. If only the breeder had answered these questions. I did not mention that I tried to call him first but no response from him in which  I started with the letters. 

What I did not expect was a few smart remarks from people who thought I was "putting down all breeders". Again, I want to thank everyone that has helped me with my questions..

If it looked like I was being a smartbutt, well that is not how I wanted to potray myself.. Its just that after the responses I got from the breeder (and you only saw one) Im a lil touchy...

jchamp52

QUOTE 11/22/2010 1:33:57 PM

Hello again,

I have to agree with every point that mobullybabies covered.

Many posters on here are breeders, and we have faced many/most any problem you can imagine, several times. So you have to give us a little slack when we get a little defensive. Most buyers have absolutely NO idea what is involved with owning a dog, and many buyers will be upset with the breeder when their calm, sweet little darling becomes a demon from hell as soon as they get to their new homes.

Maybe your breeder should have responded with a little more detail....but your letter was quite a harsh letter, sorry, but I believe I would have responded in a very similar manner.

Puppies are just like kids.....they WILL test you! Most of the problems a breeder will expect and it will be old news, where as to a new owner it will be a holy terror. At least you had experience with tiny dogs.

It appears your vet upset you about worms, which is a NORMAL on-going problem that has to be fixed on a regular basis, as I talked about in an earlier email. Coccidia is a much more serious problem, but it does not mean your entire kennel is infected, and both problems are easy to treat and the meds are within reasonable cost range.

I am very fortunate that my regular vet is very knowledgeable on small breeds (of course I provide him with lots of test subjects - I have had the same vet for over 20 years).

No offence to your vet, and it may be proven he is correct about your baby being of mixed pedigree????? But there is no way he could simply look at your puppy and determine it was a mixed breed.
Even as hard as I try to produce the desired standard in my puppies, I have

24tracey

QUOTE 11/22/2010 1:51:35 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded about Tank...

I will admit when I feel like im wrong, I dont like to but heck who likes to admit when they are wrong..lol In this instance I dont feel like I am. I did everything I thought I was supposed to do to research this breeder. If only he would have talked to me in the first place, I would not have written such a letter. But when you try  and try to get a response and get nothing  well I was a little angered.

I wont bother anyone anymore with my issues about Tank.

It shouldnt matter how much I paid for him, he should have been healthy is all I was saying...

And again, thank you to everyone for your advice...I beleive Tank is very very happy...I know Im happy with him
jchamp52

QUOTE 11/22/2010 6:16:46 PM

Quote 24tracey:

Thanks to everyone who responded about Tank...

I will admit when I feel like im wrong, I dont like to but heck who likes to admit when they are wrong..lol In this instance I dont feel like I am. I did everything I thought I was supposed to do to research this breeder. If only he would have talked to me in the first place, I would not have written such a letter. But when you try  and try to get a response and get nothing  well I was a little angered.

I wont bother anyone anymore with my issues about Tank.

It shouldnt matter how much I paid for him, he should have been healthy is all I was saying...

And again, thank you to everyone for your advice...I beleive Tank is very very happy...I know Im happy with him
24tracey,

Never feel you are a bother, how are you supposed to learn anything if you don't ask questions, or voice your concerns.

I feel it is the breeders responsibility to keep the new or prospective buyer as informed as we can. THAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS FORUM.

And trust me, even as a breeder with many years experience, I learn new and informative things on this forum on a regular basis. There are a lot of breeders on here that have an almost unlimited amount of free, sound, hard earned knowledge and advice.

Post Reply New Topic