Putting My Dog in the Garage

Putting My Dog in the Garage

engsonb21

QUOTE 3/9/2010 9:44:46 PM
My 7 year old lab is usually in my basement, but we are getting it finished and we plan to put a kennel in the garage for him to stay there permanently. I just want to know if it would be safe, because i live in Toronto and it gets really cold here. Its usually colder in the garage than it is outside. Would my dog get too cold? Also, we park our car in there as well. I was just thinking of keeping the garage door open just a little bit longer than usual after parking the car to let the fumes get out, so my dog won't breathe them in. So, considering these factors would it be a good idea to put my dog in the garage permanantly?

katiekat33

QUOTE 3/10/2010 11:44:35 PM
I would never do that. Isn't there a place on the main floor for your dog?  He's already 7, and before you know it, he may develop ailments that some older dogs have, such diabetes, etc. He'll feel the cold even more as he gets older. Also, the fumes from the car would be a HUGE worry to me. If you just crack the garage door, wouldn't you worry about him getting lose?  Is your concern about your dog when you're gone at work? Can you maybe keep him in a laundry area of kitchen area while you're away, then let him join the family in the main part of the house when you're home?  It's just nothing that I'd ever consider doing, and I live in a cold climate, too.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 3/11/2010 5:46:08 PM
Crating him (in a large comfortable crate) in the house is a lot better than keeping him in a cold garage. Is he bad in the house or something? Honestly, why would you want a dog to be a lawn ornament?-- or garage ornament in this case. Outside dogs don't get nearly as much attention as inside dogs and that is a fact.

simplecountrygal

QUOTE 3/19/2010 6:19:09 PM
I crate my dogs when i have to go anywhere because they chew up things when all together so i have too. but i had a black lab and they liek the cold but they are not a good breed to be left alone especially fi you guys are home and they are locked in garage or basement. the lab probably thinks hes done something wrong because labs need to have exercise and need to be able to play and have family time. we actually had to give our black lab bear to a friends because he got bored and was having problems, even though i had two other dogs. hes happier now that hes with kids everyday. i wouldnt put your lab in the garage, because of the fumes and everything i like the idea in  other post though because we did it if you have a laundry room or even crate him in kitchen and when you come home let him out to play with you guys. LAbs are a great breed but like the guy said hes already 7 yrs old and our vet and other breeders have told us that labs r prone to cancer.  I dont know though because all my dogs are inside dogs, we play outside and they go on walks and potty outside but they are always in livingroom with me. they even share our bedroom and sleep on your bed with us.
Post Reply New Topic