Help me help my dog!

Help me help my dog!

shiftkitty

QUOTE 11/25/2009 8:00:07 PM
"Russ" is a bocker, and he's kind of old. When we first got him from the shelter, we would take him on walks every weekend and seeing to his health was no problem. When the neighborhood took a downward turn, there was no safe place to walk him. The only dog park in town is too far away, and he doesn't ride well, anyway.

He developed an ear problem and we can't afford the vet these days. Seems he also developed a couple of tumors. These tumors don't seem to be affecting him adversely. He can still run and is quite active, and his appetite is very good. His eyesight is iffy (he has good days and bad days), but he can see those Milkbones well enough! The problem regarding his ears is that after my husband had back surgery, he can't hold Russ still, and I don't have the strength to do it, so getting any cleaning and ear-mite treatment to him is impossible. My neighbors have their own jobs and lives and can't help. My sister-in-law has four dogs of her own, so she can't take him although she and her kids love Russ dearly. They also live in another town and can't come by to help. As I said, we can't afford to take him to the vet for it.

If we take him to the shelter, we're afraid he'll be put down. He doesn't need death, he needs someone who can take care of him. What can I do? Is there any place around Modesto, California I can go?
kathystone

QUOTE 11/27/2009 4:03:23 AM
 Call your local animal shelter and see if they have a chapter of Volunteer services to animals or like organization that helps them with dogs. You say he is a "Bocker". DO you mean a boxer? If so you can also ask them about a local Boxer rescue who might be able to help. UC Davis is not too far away. Call their veterinary school and see if they can work somethig out with you. The students need some dogs to "Practice" on and sometimes they wil look at privately own pets as a source for the kids to learn on. They are under direct supervision of a teaching vet so it is not like they are going to experiment on your dog. His ears hurt so he will be abit hard to medicate. See if he swill let you gently wipe them out with a  antibacterial baby wipe if nothing else works. Good Luck!
Post Reply New Topic