Backyard Breeders and puppy mills

Backyard Breeders and puppy mills

vomhaushall

QUOTE 11/2/2009 8:23:54 AM
I see more and more puppy mills and backyard breeders advertise here.  I wish next day pets would only advertise professional breeders, but I know that is impossible.
katiekat33

QUOTE 11/2/2009 6:01:55 PM
I'd like to see your definitions for the terms "professional breeders," "backyard breeders," and "puppymills."
beaglebrat

QUOTE 11/2/2009 6:32:17 PM

Quote katiekat33:

I'd like to see your definitions for the terms "professional breeders," "backyard breeders," and "puppymills."
If you look a little further down in the forum topics, that was already asked and answered and I think most people have a little bit different definition of those three terms.

However, there are huge puppymills that do advertise on this website. Puppymills that should be called puppymills by anyone's definition. Kennels with hundreds of adult breeding dogs churning out puppies as fast as they can with no thought of quality, only profit.

Those puppymills give all breeders and especially breeders that "SELL ON THE INTERNET" a bad name. They give amunition to the animal rights people to restrict all breeders-- and I don't appreciate them one bit.

A clue is to look on the "all available puppies" for a particular breeder. It gives you a clue, if there are 40-80 puppies of all breeds and ages, I am going to assume you are a puppymill.

I know that it has been brought up, that some people share accounts, I recommend that they quit doing that, or else live with the assumption that they are a puppymill, because people need to have a way to tell the VERY BAD puppymills that advertise on this site and others.

People sharing accounts.......pony up the extra money and get your own accounts, it is what? $20 per month or something? You couldn't get an ad for a day in a major paper for that price.

I know there is nothing that Nextdaypets can do..... and I have reservations if they even should.

It is up to the buyer to make an educated decision. Some people don't care where they get their puppies from, they are only concerned about price and not anything else.... well, then those people deserve what they end up with.

There are a lot more breeders on here that have a fair amount of dogs, some people would call them puppymills, some wouldn't.  Breeders often like to call each other puppymills as a cut-down.

I try to remember that a "true puppymill" is obvious, but the name calling of "puppymill" is a matter of opinion....... as someone once said....

"A puppymill is a breeder that has one more dog than you have. That has raises one more breed than you breed. That whelps one more litter per year than you do. That does one less health test than you do."

Which pretty much sums it up in some circumstances.

katiekat33

QUOTE 11/2/2009 11:30:01 PM
I want vomhaushall to define the terms that he/she threw out there....
heaventree

QUOTE 11/5/2009 5:33:03 PM
What is important is the care of the animal. It is hard for puppy mills to take good care of their animals. Some are, some don't. The term applies to those who can't, won't, or don't. Equally, I have seen both hobby/backyard breeders and professional breeders who are in it for the money and/or don't take proper care of their animals. I think that ANY type of breeder who is specializing in one type of dog with very few litters each year and who actually devotes their time to them would be considered reputable. Anyone else may acquire the title of puppymill. I knew a backyard breeder who "specialized" in three types of dogs, acted liked they cared about their dogs (and they did), but did not spend too much time with the puppies that they were sellling to buyers. So, in my summation, this is almost as bad since the goal is to produce fine family/show quality pets in most cases.

The care of the adult should be the number one priority equally shared with the care of the puppies that people are buying.

Visit my site:  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (edited. You may not advertise your website in these forums)
christinastorla

QUOTE 11/6/2009 12:02:41 AM
Heaventree, is labs the only breed you breed? What I have seen, I like what you say but it doesn't show any love, attention, or anything but selling a litter. Check out xxxxxxxxxxx (edited) I co-breed with neabors who only own Rotts and doesn't neglect their dogs for a buck. NOT saying you do! I show my custemers what my puppies turn into and YES only AKC!  
jchamp52

QUOTE 11/7/2009 11:43:22 AM
This is way off topic....but how in the world can you post on your website that your shipping fees are $200.00?  You mention temperate boundaries so I will assume you ship via Delta,  since Continental does not have temperature problems. Shipping fees with Delta have not been that low for over 5 years. And you still have the health certificate and kennel that are part of the shipping fee requirements??????? 
kathystone

QUOTE 11/10/2009 2:42:33 AM
 Years ago I showed Akitas. The breed had just been recognized by AKC and there was a beautiful female who was taking best in show right and left. She belonged to a high dollar kennel along with several other breeds, also champoins and best in show winners. The Akita lived at the handler's in the house for almost 4 years. She was retired with lots of fanfare and hoopla. Many people were waiting for her to have her first litter so they too could own a beautiful Akita from that line. She was put in a kennel, a very nice set up for a dog BUT she was used to being a companion, not a kennel dog. The help fed and watered her but did not do more than was required. She was found dead in the kennel about 2 months later. It was obvious she had been dead for some time but no one had bothered to check on her, speak to her, or CARED to see her as a very sensitive individual that she was. Personally, I think she died of a broken heart. And, my opinion is this woman is no better that the midwest puppy mills. Yes she churns out top quality dogs BUT there is more to a dog than what kind of pups they can produce.  
billmargaret0987

QUOTE 11/24/2009 6:26:42 PM
I was touched when I saw Oprah did a segment on "puppy mills."

I am deeply disgusted with the negligence of the puppy mills' owners to the dogs health.

This is a video from Oprah's segment on irresponsible Puppy Mills

dorieellwell

QUOTE 11/24/2009 6:37:39 PM

Quote billmargaret0987:

I was touched when I saw Oprah did a segment on "puppy mills."

I am deeply disgusted with the negligence of the puppy mills' owners to the dogs health.

This is a video from Oprah's segment on irresponsible Puppy Mills

my husband and i saw the show, too. after that we go to dog shelters to find pet dogs to adopt.

FAQs on Puppy Mills from Humane Society

magenta.crake8

QUOTE 11/24/2009 7:09:48 PM

Quote katiekat33:

KatieKat33, this is for SPECIALLY for you:

A puppy mill, sometimes known as a puppy farm[1], is a commercial dog breeding
facility that is operated with an emphasis upon profits above animal
welfare and is often in substandard conditions regarding the well-being
of dogs in their care.[2][3]. Similar types of operations exist for other animals commonly kept as pets or used as feed for other animals.

The term can be applied to operations involving other animals commercially bred for profit, e.g. "kitty mills."[4]. There are an estimated 4,000 puppy mills in the U.S. that produce more than half a million puppies a year.[5] Commercial kennels may be licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture which may inspect the kennels routinely.[6]
For-profit breeding on a smaller scale is sometimes referred to as backyard breeding.[4]

SOURCE: "Wikipedia: Puppy Mill"

terryc14

QUOTE 2/19/2010 3:37:25 PM
She knows the definition I don't understand why she keeps insisting. When people get this defensive they themselves are backyard breeders.............
katiekat33

QUOTE 2/21/2010 4:32:21 PM
I'm not defensive about anything at all; people tend to confuse the definitions of the three terms that have been thrown out there.  What did I say that indicated I was defensive about anything at all?  

I find it interesting that you judge me, when you don't know me or anything about me.  Also, Wikipedia is NOT the best source of information for research; any high school teacher will tell you that....
jchamp52

QUOTE 2/22/2010 3:10:29 PM

Quote vomhaushall:

I see more and more puppy mills and backyard breeders advertise here.  I wish next day pets would only advertise professional breeders, but I know that is impossible.
Every single person that responds to this stream will have their own idea of what they consider a puppy mill, a backyard breeer or a professional breeder is or should be.

AND  THEY  WILL  PROBABLY  ALL  BE  QUITE  DIFFERENT!!!

I know I have been called all three.....I know I do the best I can, I test my stock, I keep up with their health issues, I try to improve my bloodlines. 

But we all have to start somewhere. If our quality is not the greatest at first, we are not born knowing everything....we just have to keep trying to improve.

loli117

QUOTE 11/19/2010 12:42:17 PM
I just wanted to give my opinion of a "backyard breeder" because I see this a lot more where I am from, and it truly bothers me. What I consider a backyard breeder is someone who like puppy-mills, disregard the best interest of their dogs just to make a buck, but it is on a much smaller scale than puppy-mills and usually are consisting of just 1 breed.

I just recently started breeding, but before I did I have bought and read tons of books, done as much research as possible, and my dogs always come first. They are my pets first and foremost, and if I never bred my dogs again then I would keep my dogs BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL MY PETS. I have 2 females and 1 male. I will only breed each female once a year at the most and will always consider skipping breeding seasons entirely. But some might consider me a backyard breeder. Personally I consider some professional breeders borderline puppy-mills. Though they usually only have 1 breed, I've seen them have 10-15 dogs of the same breed and when their females have done her job for so many years they don't want them anymore. I would rather buy from people who love there dogs and only have 2 or 3 in there breeding stock than buy from what some consider "professional." I think lack of education and lack of interest of learning is what makes people be considered "backyard breeders" and total lack of care of 100's of dogs is "puppy-mills." Also I don't care how clean and maintained your facilities are if you have so many dogs that you can't care and LOVE each individual one you are a PUPPYMILL!! All dogs deserve love no matter what their purpose is!
ccridgebacks

QUOTE 11/19/2010 1:07:50 PM

Quote jchamp52:

This is way off topic....but how in the world can you post on your website that your shipping fees are $200.00?  You mention temperate boundaries so I will assume you ship via Delta,  since Continental does not have temperature problems. Shipping fees with Delta have not been that low for over 5 years. And you still have the health certificate and kennel that are part of the shipping fee requirements??????? 
True, way off the topic, but you are 100% correct! You can't do it for under $300, and that doesn't include your time running around for a carrier, to the vet, then to and from the airport.
ccridgebacks

QUOTE 11/19/2010 1:19:18 PM

Quote loli117:

I just wanted to give my opinion of a "backyard breeder" because I see this a lot more where I am from, and it truly bothers me. What I consider a backyard breeder is someone who like puppy-mills, disregard the best interest of their dogs just to make a buck, but it is on a much smaller scale than puppy-mills and usually are consisting of just 1 breed.

I just recently started breeding, but before I did I have bought and read tons of books, done as much research as possible, and my dogs always come first. They are my pets first and foremost, and if I never bred my dogs again then I would keep my dogs BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL MY PETS. I have 2 females and 1 male. I will only breed each female once a year at the most and will always consider skipping breeding seasons entirely. But some might consider me a backyard breeder. Personally I consider some professional breeders borderline puppy-mills. Though they usually only have 1 breed, I've seen them have 10-15 dogs of the same breed and when their females have done her job for so many years they don't want them anymore. I would rather buy from people who love there dogs and only have 2 or 3 in there breeding stock than buy from what some consider "professional." I think lack of education and lack of interest of learning is what makes people be considered "backyard breeders" and total lack of care of 100's of dogs is "puppy-mills." Also I don't care how clean and maintained your facilities are if you have so many dogs that you can't care and LOVE each individual one you are a PUPPYMILL!! All dogs deserve love no matter what their purpose is!
We have 4 females, two males and a fixed female just because she is a pet. All of our dogs are our family. We don't have kennels, we have a home. Our family runs together on 8 acres except for breeding or whelping. They make happier dogs and the best puppies.

We work out of the home, so they are with us 24/7. All of our pups are named and nuzzled on before they are sold. I have seen kenneled RR's and sadly they don't even act like the same breed. Ours are lazy sleeping dogs that stealthy approach intruders. I love our pack!
dihart

QUOTE 11/19/2010 1:29:29 PM
  I think the term Backyard breeders is the term some "professional" breeders or dog show people stick on those of us who do home raise to besmirch  puppies we produce. After all, it DOES depend on what you have in your back yard, and they can be fine quality dogs. Just because we do not show ours the term was applied, and just like the term "Puppy mill" it has become the catch all phrase to describe any who breed from their home with less than show dogs.

graciespups

QUOTE 1/5/2011 2:10:26 PM
I consider anyone who does this as a business and only cares about the money, to be a puppymill or backyard breeder. I have one dog who has a litter once in awhile, (NO more than once a year) and I have an extremely hard time giving the pups all the care, love and affectin that they NEED. I don't know how anyone having more than one dog who breeds can give them and their parents all of the care and attention that they need and is crucial to their well being. I'm busy ALL the time with just one litter! I want to make sure that they are socialized, use to being held, around other dogs and children and that you spend time trying to potty train and play with. I really would like someone to prove that they can actually do this with more thanone dog who has pups! I think it's appalling that people use an animal for their source of income. If they do, they are truly a puppymill or backyard breeder! Dogs need love and attention, PERIOD!! You cannot do this with more than one dog. I put in a minimum of 10 hours a day, feeding, cleaning up after them, holding them, potty training them, and making sure they have everything that they could need or want. Alot of people who do have their own websites for breeding kennels are puppymills or backyard breeders. People who have one dog, usually aren't going to have a website to sell their pups. Because there's no need to. I suggest you do your home work. If a breeder won't allow you to stop in at any time to see where the pups are being kept or won't let you see the parents, they're probably a puppymill. Any self respecting dog lover, doesn't have a problem with you stopping at any time to see where they live, where the pups are kept, nothing! Because they have nothing to hide! Buying from a pet store is another no-no. Alot of pet shops get all of their animals from puppymills. IF YOU SUSPECT A PUPPYMILL, TURN THEM IN TO YOUR ASPCA OR HUMANE SOCIETY. If they aren't one, they won't find anything and it won't be a problem. Just ignoring it and not turning them in, you are just as guilty of letting them stay in business!  You can tell by talking to people whether they're truly a dog lover and want the best for their dogs. The best thing to do is to go there and ee for yourself the conditions that they are kept in and where they are cared for.  If they won't allow you into the area for any reason, they're probably a puppymill.
kathystone

QUOTE 1/6/2011 1:34:56 AM
 OH HONEY! YOU ARE SO WRONG! First, I would never allow anyone in where my mom dogs are. Why? Because I don't know what germs they are carrying on their feet or hands. Perhaps they have just been at the local dog pound. Perhaps they went to a vet to see what can be done for their puppy who is dying of parvo. I don't want my mom dogs and pups exposed to extra germs.

Second, professional breeders do their homework, go to seminars to learn more, spoend hours studying breeding charts to produce top of the line dogs, and don't hold a "regular" job as the 17 plus hour days they put in won't allow for them to be anything but a dog slave. Forget vacations!

Turn in any breeder to the "humane society"? Why? Just because they breed dogs? Where do you think dogs come from? I would rather buy froma professional breeder who stands behind their breeding stock thatn from some idiot who thinks their dog needs to have a litter every few heat cycles. These kind of people may, like you, spend time socializing their pups( and exposing them to all sorts of disease) but do they stand behind their dogs? Not usually. Further, they do not get hips,eyes and other genetic problems tested for and eliminated. They just have one dog who they breed to whatever mut comes along.

THIS is where many of the dog pound dogs come from. Professional breeders microchip their dogs and stand behind their dogs when they end up being at the dog pound for some reason. Professional breeders are able to keep their dogs in sanitary conditions, well cared for and well fed. Not like the dog who lives in a back yard where it is cleaned once in a while. 

If the HSUS has their way all professional breeders will be run out of the US. And where will puppies come from? Mexico where they have NO standards for pet care. So all you have accomplished in your utopia is mut dogs of inferior quality or even worse abuse of the breeding dogs who make the puppies sold here. 

Oh, and by the way, I run a small dog rescue. The majority of the dogs come from animal shleters and dog auctions. The shelter dogs are always the  in the worst  conditions and are obviously NOT well bred. The wellbred dogs don't go through either source.There is always a market for them even at an older age.

Yes, there are substandard kennels out there and they should be closed down. But to be so biased against professional breeders is to be unable to understand the truth of the probelm of " pet overpopulation" which is people who should not have a dog in the first place, who buy a dog they keep in a cage all day while they are at work, or buy an unsuitable dog for their lifestyle. Ever see Marley and Me? Give me that dog for an hour and I will get him under control. Most people would have turned him in at the dog pound.Not the dog's fault. 
Post Reply New Topic