First of all, I just want to say I've had about enough of the
negativity on these forums. It is as if so many people have nothing
better to do with their time than complain. I, for one, like the new
site design and have had nothing but good experiences with Next Day
Pets. I use the time that I could be messing about in these forums
socializing my puppies.

But anyway, I'll get off my soap box and ask the question I came here
to ask. Does anyone have a preference between Interceptor and
Heartgard? If so, which one and why? I've always used Heartgard on my dogs, but I
just moved and I have a new vet and she recommends Interceptor. What
does everyone think?
jchamp52

QUOTE 10/21/2009 5:00:18 PM
First, consider yourself VERY lucky, many of us are not as fortunate with NDP service and have an awful time navigating the new site, and the fact that they are sooooo slow to respond or work on problems we have voiced does not make us happy little campers.

Now to try and answer your question:

HeartGard's active ingredients are ivermectin and Pyrantel.

Interceptor's active ingredients are  milbemycin oxime.

HeartGard is given once monthly to prevent heartworm, round worm and hookworm.  DOES NOT PREVENT WHIPWORM.

Interceptor is given once a month to prevent heartworm, roundworms,

hookworm and whipworm.

Probably the main reason your vet wants you to use Interceptor is because  Ivermectin, one of two active ingredients in HeartGard, has been shown to be dangerous to the health of certain breeds of dogs, including shelties, collie, Australian sheepdogs and similar breeds.

I breed small dogs and have always prefered Interceptor. Including my 4 retired couch potatoes I have 15 adults.  I guess the main reason I like Int is because they tablets are very tiny (per weight of my dogs) so I can roll them up in cheese and they are gone in a second.

runningridge

QUOTE 10/22/2009 11:24:07 PM
Your complaint and negativity is dually noted.  I'd use Interceptor over Heartgard as it covers whipworms which is the most hard to control parasite.
blakiepigdog

QUOTE 10/23/2009 11:30:15 AM
Thanks for the advice   I'm a little perturbed with my old vet for so adamantly insisting that Hartgard is the only choice. Sounds to me, from what you've both said, and what I've found in my research, that Interceptor is the obvious choice.

jchamp52

QUOTE 10/23/2009 11:46:26 AM
There are sooooo many choices for heartworm/worm protection on the market now, it is mind boggling. It is like asking for a "Soda" there are just far too many different kinds to choose from. 
Post Reply New Topic