Eukanuba and IAMS found guilty for animal testing!

Eukanuba and IAMS found guilty for animal testing!

kayzhond

QUOTE 8/5/2005 3:22:38 AM

Quote mjanddobes:

I personally don't really think that a kibble like Purina Pro-Plan belongs on the same list with Beneful, Alpo and Purina Dog Chow! I don't think you can only do two lists at all. Purina has many levels of food - Pro-Plan is a premium kibble - just not a holistic kibble. Just curiosity, what makes you a "dog food expert"??

I don't think that Pro-Plan belongs on the list of best kibbles, but I have seen how dogs do on it and there is a world of difference between it and something like Alpo! The Doberman that won Best of Breed at Westminster Kennel Club this year eats Pro-Plan and so do a lot of top show dogs. Would I feed it again? Maybe, maybe not. I do recommend it to people who are looking for an easy to find middle of the road kibble. I personally feed California Natural Chicken and Rice mixed with my own home made diet. You can see my dogs at.

http://fitzmardobermans.freeservers.com/
Actually, I'd put Purina Pro-plan in the middle quality dog food category with Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet and the like. While they *do* use meat as a first ingredient by-products, mainly poultry by-products, and fillers like corn gluten meal still show up in the ingredients among a few other "to avoid" ingredients like brewers rice, corn bran, salt, and menadione sodium bisulfite complex which is considered a source of Vitamin K activity by the maufacturer but is actually a synthetic vitamin K that is a totally unnecessary ingredient in dog food for healthy dogs.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/5/2005 3:27:37 AM

Quote goldengal:

Can those foods be bought at a store like Murdochs,
Yes, I checked their wed site and the stores do sell pet supplies (http://www.murdochs.com/clifton/whatwesell), which include dog food. My guess is they sell a lot of the holistic ones like the feed and grain and home and garden shops do around me.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/5/2005 3:33:20 AM

Quote pennymybaby:

Look, I didn't call my self a professional or a vet did I? Expert does not mean I know everything under the sun and nor did I ever say that.
I hate to admit it, but mjanddobes is right. You DID call yourself an expexter, not ONCE, but TWICE.

Here's the ONCE:

"Thanks for your support guys! I'am a Dog food expert and here is a list of foods I made of good quality and bad quality foods out there, so it can give you a few ideas on what one you may want to switch to."

Here's the TWICE:

"Well, I do ton's of research, speak with other Dog food experts and get aducated. YOU can be a Dog food expert too if you'd like."

In regards to the second time the word "too" automatically imples you're an expert and so can the other person if they do the research and became aducated as well.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/5/2005 3:34:55 AM

Quote mjanddobes:

The kibbles you recommend are good, it was mis-representing yourself as an "Expert" that I object to. Read my post again and I think you will see that.
Most definitely. Nicely said, nicely said all-around mjanddobes.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/5/2005 3:36:16 AM

Quote fantasiawht:

Semantics, folks :P One person equates expert with professional, and the other with knowledgable.

Is it really something to get that worked up over?

Actually expert and professional go together. For example:

An expert vet is also a professional vet.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/5/2005 3:38:22 AM

Quote mjanddobes:

I don't know how old you are, but it looked to me like you were taking her at her "expert" word. It's not that she was giving bad advice - the foods she talked about are good. It is obvious to me that she has somewhat educated herself on dog food - that is a good thing. It does not however make her an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Now, if she goes and gets a degree in animal nutrition or heck even human nutrition and studies how it relates to animal nutrition THEN I would feel a little more comfortable with the "expert" title.

I think what you have to realize is that people will come on an internet forum with a problem and take what some self proclamed expert might tell them as the real deal. In fact, forums are a great place to learn but not everything you read is good advice. It is never a replacement for good Veterinary care when there is a problem. I will be the first to admit that many vets are not experts in nutrition, so what they say about dog food is not always great either.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/5/2005 3:40:44 AM

Quote celticglory:

My poor dog eats both, but likes Eukanuba more, I can't change it on her because she won't eat it. She had Iams before too, but she won't eat nothing else. My next pup will be on something better though, and my boyfriend's dog, who I plan on getting for him, will be on either on the same food as my pup or something else that is high in standard.

I can't believe they would do something as cruel as test on animals like that.
On the contrary you really can switch to a higher quality food. I've been in your place before, too, and I just tend to leave the food out UNTIL the dog gets hungry enough to eat it. You keep doing that until they eat it regularly. It's called "tough" love. A good, healthy dog will NOT starve itself to death.
pennymybaby

QUOTE 8/5/2005 4:51:28 PM
I created this topic with good intentions and this is what I get? I tryed to educate people about quality foods and how PETA treats their animals and people just spit in my face?
miapicina

QUOTE 8/5/2005 11:20:09 PM
and your good intentions didnt go unnoticed by me. let them speak some people just like to see themselves in print. ie: look at all the above posts, waited to bait you to keep it going. thank you for your advice i did and do appreciate it
lovemybeagles

QUOTE 8/6/2005 11:46:36 AM
may i ask what do you all feed your puppies. mine is on purina which i know is garbage what is a really good food i want to change both puppies to a much better brand. the breeder fed them this. thanks for any input
anasazi

QUOTE 8/6/2005 12:24:11 PM
Lovemybeagles.. Im in the process of switching my puppy over to Innova EVO. Hes 7 months old.. I just read on another forum where a woman contacted Innova and asked them at what age could she start feeding her puppy Innova EVO and they told her anytime.. Innova EVO is great for all stages.

Innova and Innova EVO are two different foods from the same company with Innova EVO being their newest line.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab

If you go to the 'stores' tab, you can locate a store near you.
pennymybaby

QUOTE 8/6/2005 1:28:06 PM
Oh, I feed my dog Nutro. But I'm switching to something even higher. When her Nutro is done, I'm going to put her on Natural Balance and/or Eagle Pack Holistic Select.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/6/2005 11:33:04 PM

Quote pennymybaby:

I created this topic with good intentions and this is what I get? I tryed to educate people about quality foods and how PETA treats their animals and people just spit in my face?
No one "spit" in your face. Someone just pointed out the wrong use of 'expert" on your part. No need to get all bent out of shape about that. This is the INTERNET! Don't take it to heart, don't take it serious - Simply chalk it up and continue on with the thread.
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/6/2005 11:38:52 PM

Quote lovemybeagles:

may i ask what do you all feed your puppies. mine is on purina which i know is garbage what is a really good food i want to change both puppies to a much better brand. the breeder fed them this. thanks for any input
I feed my dogs Solid Gold though they're not puppies. Solid Gold is an excellent holistic food.

To order online, by phone, request a catalog, or locate a distributor near you go to http://www.solidgoldhealth.com.
mjanddobes

QUOTE 8/7/2005 1:10:54 PM

Quote anasazi:

Lovemybeagles.. Im in the process of switching my puppy over to Innova EVO. Hes 7 months old.. I just read on another forum where a woman contacted Innova and asked them at what age could she start feeding her puppy Innova EVO and they told her anytime.. Innova EVO is great for all stages.

Innova and Innova EVO are two different foods from the same company with Innova EVO being their newest line.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=home-tab

If you go to the 'stores' tab, you can locate a store near you.
Just as a note, I have heard that EVO with its 40% protein is not the best food to be feeding puppies.... it is simply too much protein for the fast bone growth puppies go through. This may be more true for large breeds than a smaller breed like Beagles. I just know that with a larger breed like mine (Dobermans), Evo is not recommended till they are done growing... well into their second year.

OTOH, I have heard that EVO is a very good kibble, and that many dogs do well on it.
pennymybaby

QUOTE 8/7/2005 4:48:08 PM
Regular Innova has almost half the amount of protein that Innova EVO contains. But, all Innova products are quite high in calories, which may be a problem with a Beagle, as they are prone to obesity.
animalluver8

QUOTE 8/7/2005 4:58:33 PM

Quote kayzhond:

I feed my dogs Solid Gold though they're not puppies. Solid Gold is an excellent holistic food.

To order online, by phone, request a catalog, or locate a distributor near you go to http://www.solidgoldhealth.com.
Solid Gold is a great dog food. It's extremely healthy and has all the right ingredients for a REAL diet. I also like to add meat to my dogs' diets. It adds lots of nutrition and dogs need the calories.
ambulldogpup

QUOTE 8/8/2005 8:48:14 AM

Quote pennymybaby:

Thanks for your support guys! I'am a dog food expert and here is a list of foods I made of good quality and bad quality foods out there, so it can give you a few ideas on what one you may want to switch to.

Good foods:
~Innova
~Nutro Ultra
~Nutro Natural Choice
~Neura
~Triumph
~Wysong
~California Natural
~Natural Balance
~Wellness
~Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
~Solid Gold
~Canidae
~Royal Canin
~Sensible Choice
~Nature's Recipe
~Any food that contains atleast 40% meat, with no by-products, fillers or preservatives.

Bad foods:
~IAMS
~Pedigree
~Purina ONE
~Purina Dog/Puppy Chow
~Purina Mighty Dog
~Purina Pro Plan
~Science Diet
~Eukanuba
~Bil-Jac
~Alpo
~Beneful
~Cesar
~Any foods with by-products,preservatives, animal testers or fillers
I disagree with you very much on the fact that Science Diet is a "bad" dog food. You have no example stating why it is. And if it was then I do not think shelters or veterinarians would be selling it. Let alone probably feeding it to there pets! Who has the PHD here!
ambulldogpup

QUOTE 8/8/2005 8:55:07 AM
Fine, it is a dog food. I've never seen it and I also have the book. lol.
miapicina

QUOTE 8/8/2005 11:40:22 AM

Quote ambulldogpup:

Fine, it is a dog food. I've never seen it and I also have the book. lol.
NO! it's a dog food,also
Post Reply New Topic