First time puppy owner needs HELP!!!

First time puppy owner needs HELP!!!

evelyn88

QUOTE 6/16/2009 1:01:12 PM
I recently bought a Morkie, and have had him for about 3 weeks. He's 10 weeks old, and I am currently crate traning him.

It has been a NIGHTMARE. Waking up in the middle of the night , and going home for lunch during work to let him out is fine.

He even scratches on the door to let me know he wants to go pee/poo. He'd be consistently good for a few days, then all of a sudden act out. He'd poo in his crate even though I let him out every 2-3 hours. I let him out to pee, then a few minutes he scratches the door. I let him out for a while, and nothing. Bring him back in, and he runs into a corner and pees.

To add to the nightmare, he has Giardia. Bad breeders. What's done is done, so please don't respond complaining about that, or mixed breeds. He's been bred, bought, and it's done.

I just need help! Is it the Giardia that's making him act out? He's on his last 4 days of meds. His poo started getting more firm, then all of a sudden today he has diarrhea. Does that mean it's not working?

So many problems!

Please...somebody help. I need your help/expertise/experience. I'm desperate.

Oh, and just for reference, I let him out ever 2-3 hours. 3.5 hrs max. His crate is only big enough for him to lie down in, turn around, and sit up. I'm feeding him Wellness. Umm...that's about all the info you need, I think.

HELP!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 6/16/2009 11:46:11 PM

Quote evelyn88:

I recently bought a Morkie, and have had him for about 3 weeks. He's 10 weeks old, and I am currently crate traning him.

It has been a NIGHTMARE. Waking up in the middle of the night , and going home for lunch during work to let him out is fine.

He even scratches on the door to let me know he wants to go pee/poo. He'd be consistently good for a few days, then all of a sudden act out. He'd poo in his crate even though I let him out every 2-3 hours. I let him out to pee, then a few minutes he scratches the door. I let him out for a while, and nothing. Bring him back in, and he runs into a corner and pees.

To add to the nightmare, he has Giardia. Bad breeders. What's done is done, so please don't respond complaining about that, or mixed breeds. He's been bred, bought, and it's done.

I just need help! Is it the Giardia that's making him act out? He's on his last 4 days of meds. His poo started getting more firm, then all of a sudden today he has diarrhea. Does that mean it's not working?

So many problems!

Oh, and just for reference, I let him out ever 2-3 hours. 3.5 hrs max. His crate is only big enough for him to lie down in, turn around, and sit up. I'm feeding him Wellness. Umm...that's about all the info you need, I think.

HELP!
Ok, first of all, he's a dog not a child, he is not "acting out" he is sick and so accidents are going to happen. Having a puppy means getting up in the night and dealing with potty issues. What you are going through is normal. He's only ten weeks old, he can't be expected to always go to the door and scratch, he was likly doing that to go out and explore as much as go out to potty. I would not expect him to be house trained for several months yet. Just because you are taking him out doesn't mean your taking him out at the right times. Keep working on it, soon you'll figure out what his schedual is. Keep feeding him at regular times and taking him out. Once he is no longer sick you'll start to see progress.

Hang in there and remember dogs don't think like kids they think like dogs.
maryanddobes

QUOTE 6/17/2009 12:58:50 AM
It's always kind of amazing to me when people complain about a puppy not being completely housebroken in 3 short weeks. I hate drawing comparisons to human babies, but c'mon, how long are they in diapers? Two years?? More?? So why does one expect more from a little animal?

As the other poster said, don't expect a puppy to be completely trained and accident free for many months yet.

And this one is ill to boot, which makes it worse. Your expectations for a little baby who is sick are way too high.

If the puppy can't make it through 2-3 hours, guess what? You're going to have to take it out more often, it's that simple. I find that puppies can usually hold it in their crate during sleeping hours for much longer than they can when it's light out and there is activity in the house. If the puppy is out and underfoot and playing, I take them out every 20 minutes or so in an effort for them to always get it right and not make mistakes inside. Let's face it, people let time get away from them and even though they think they just took the puppy out, it was too long ago. If you have to, set a timer - on your oven, on your cell phone, on your clock, whatever. When it goes off, take puppy out, stay with puppy, make sure puppy goes, then come in and reset the timer. If you can't directly supervise puppy, they go in the crate.

Puppy accidents are normal and are to be expected, especially for a sick puppy.
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/17/2009 7:15:58 AM
although i do sympathize with your problem i have to agree with above posts.he is a BABY-you wouldn't or couldn't expect a human baby of the same age to be diaper free.if he is sick that will make the problem worse, have patience with him and be consistent with his training.take him to the vet if he is sick,just don't just think it will pass.
runningridge

QUOTE 8/16/2009 10:23:30 AM

Quote evelyn88:

So many problems!

HELP!
1st let me state that Giardia in itself is NOT a sign of a "Bad Breeder".    2ndly if you've had him 3 weeks then the Giardia was acquired at your house and not

the breeders.  3rdly Giardia med is a 5 day dose so if you still have 4 days left

then you've only been giving it to him for 1 day.

Giardia is nothing more than a protozoan found in water.  It's called Montezuma's Revenge in Mexico thus the reason you are told to NOT drink the water there.

The puppy is WAY TO YOUNG to be considered house-broken in any shape, form or fashion.  16 weeks to 6 months is the soonest anybody should expect a

puppy to understand the concept of "house-broken". 

Try going to the restroom at 2 p.m. every day and making yourself have a bowel moment - Not possible just as it's not possible for that puppy to go to the bathroom on YOUR TIME SCHEDULE. 
doggydoc

QUOTE 8/16/2009 11:19:58 AM
Umm - Giardia is a bad thing.  I'm a Veterinarian and know 1st hand this  parasite is highly contagious, highly resistant to environmental disinfectant, becoming resistant to treatment and is zoonotic (contagious) to people.  It is now the most commonly recognized parasite in Veterinary  Medicine.  Over 25% of  puppies entering our hospital are positive.  Giardia cycles so it doesn't create a constant diarrhea, sometimes giardia doesn't cause diarrhea at all therefore determining where they picked it up is impossible.   Giardia causes colitis which results in frequency and urgency to go.  The most well trained dogs will have accidents from giardia.  They can't help  it.  Make sure you are washing your hands frequently, especially children handling the dog and cleaning your pets rear-end and paws (they step in their poop alot).  Most importantly have your Vet recheck a fecal sample when finished to be sure it's eliminated.  Giardia is becoming VERY VERY resistant to common treatments because people view it as "Not that Bad" and many people misuse the medication and treat their puppies without Veterinary advise or care.  So yes the diarrhea may be relapsing because the treatment is not working.  I'm finding I have to treat with 2 different medications at the same time for 10 days to eliminate it and sometimes we have to repeat the treatment, especially if your puppy is eating its poop.  Please consult with your Veterinarian if the diarrhea persists, sometimes they have other parasites as well ,coccidia, roundworms that may be complicating the situation. 
runningridge

QUOTE 8/17/2009 10:36:09 AM
Never said it wasn't something bad for the dog to have but it's most certainly not a sure sign of a "Bad Breeder". 

As we continue to contaminate more and more of our water supply we will continue to see Giardia on the rise.   Breeders who have issues with Giardia

should check into an osmosis or filterning system for their water.  It DOES

work.   Bleach will kill Giardia - most folks just don't realize that disinfecting

is a FOREVER - ONGOING Process and once a week isn't going to get

the job done.

I'd worry more about coccida since the only 2 things that will kill it in the

environment are steam and fire.
c-lane

QUOTE 8/17/2009 8:00:35 PM
Evelyn88, Here is some info for you. And for the record Giardia can be brought on by stress as well. It does take awhile to potty train a puppy so dont give up on him. Dont scaled him or punish him, dont rub his face in it as it does not help or work.It takes time, patience and consistency. He will get it, dont worry!

If it is a young puppy, Coccidia is often the problem and easy to find in a fecal test then treat with Albon. Coccidia stools have a very distinct sour smell to them.
In older puppies and adults Giardia Protozoa is often the culprit, and it is next to IMPOSSIBLE TO DETECT because you have to catch it just at the right cyst cycle, or it is not evident there is a Giardia problem.
If it were me I would simply forget the testing and worm with Panacur wormer (info below). Nothing else works for Giardia, and Metronidazole and Flaggyl it only stops it for a short time then it returns. Dogs with access to lakes, ponds, standing water are more prone to getting Giardia but if you have a problem with more than one dog and you have a well, I would certainly have your water tested for it.
Giardia Protozoa is a organism that is often present in the gut of a dog or human and when the system gets stressed, this organism will rear it's ugly head. The giardia protozoa, as well as coccidia are common in new puppies and rescue dogs.
Now, if this loose stool issue returns even with a change in diet, then we know this is usually a parasite and the most hideous of all is the Giardia Protozoa. Most dogs with this loose stool issue end up being treated over and over with Flagyll or Metronidazole, it clears up for a while then returns.
It is a very frustrating problem for both vets and owners. Giardia is a problem in the large/giant breeds in particular due to the stress their body's are under during those first few months of development. Giardia is an enormous problem with rescue dogs because they have been neglected and compromised on many levels before they get into a foster situation.
I can NOT emphasize enough that giardia tests rarely find this parasite, because of the cycle of this organism it is next to impossible to find. I personally would forget the testing and just go ahead and worm with Panacur. Right now, it is the only thing working with success but it has to be used once for 3 days, then again in 10 days.
I would buy Panacur from your vet and/or purchase Panacur at Medi-Vet- and worm the dog for 3 days based on weight. (Get the instructions from Medi-Vet as well). Follow the instructions for worming. Then again in 10 days after the last worming, I'd take the 3 day dosage (3 packets, dump out on a piece of wax paper and divide it into 6 even piles and wrap in wax paper and store in a dry place. Each day put 1/2 of the dose of Panacur on the dogs food, mix in a little Eagle canned meat. The point is to try and catch this critter at the part of the cycle that it is vulnerable.
Make sure you discuss the pros and cons of Panacur with your vet or the vet at Medi-Vet in case some breeds are particularly sensitive to this wormer.

runningridge

QUOTE 8/28/2009 10:02:57 AM

Quote c-lane:

Evelyn88, Here is some info for you. And for the record Giardia can be brought on by stress as well. It does take awhile to potty train a puppy so dont give up on him. Dont scaled him or punish him, dont rub his face in it as it does not help or work.It takes time, patience and consistency. He will get it, dont worry!

If it is a young puppy, Coccidia is often the problem and easy to find in a fecal test then treat with Albon. Coccidia stools have a very distinct sour smell to them.
In older puppies and adults Giardia Protozoa is often the culprit, and it is next to IMPOSSIBLE TO DETECT because you have to catch it just at the right cyst cycle, or it is not evident there is a Giardia problem.
If it were me I would simply forget the testing and worm with Panacur wormer (info below). Nothing else works for Giardia, and Metronidazole and Flaggyl it only stops it for a short time then it returns. Dogs with access to lakes, ponds, standing water are more prone to getting Giardia but if you have a problem with more than one dog and you have a well, I would certainly have your water tested for it.
Giardia Protozoa is a organism that is often present in the gut of a dog or human and when the system gets stressed, this organism will rear it's ugly head. The giardia protozoa, as well as coccidia are common in new puppies and rescue dogs.
Now, if this loose stool issue returns even with a change in diet, then we know this is usually a parasite and the most hideous of all is the Giardia Protozoa. Most dogs with this loose stool issue end up being treated over and over with Flagyll or Metronidazole, it clears up for a while then returns.
It is a very frustrating problem for both vets and owners. Giardia is a problem in the large/giant breeds in particular due to the stress their body's are under during those first few months of development. Giardia is an enormous problem with rescue dogs because they have been neglected and compromised on many levels before they get into a foster situation.
I can NOT emphasize enough that giardia tests rarely find this parasite, because of the cycle of this organism it is next to impossible to find. I personally would forget the testing and just go ahead and worm with Panacur. Right now, it is the only thing working with success but it has to be used once for 3 days, then again in 10 days.
I would buy Panacur from your vet and/or purchase Panacur at Medi-Vet- and worm the dog for 3 days based on weight. (Get the instructions from Medi-Vet as well). Follow the instructions for worming. Then again in 10 days after the last worming, I'd take the 3 day dosage (3 packets, dump out on a piece of wax paper and divide it into 6 even piles and wrap in wax paper and store in a dry place. Each day put 1/2 of the dose of Panacur on the dogs food, mix in a little Eagle canned meat. The point is to try and catch this critter at the part of the cycle that it is vulnerable.
Make sure you discuss the pros and cons of Panacur with your vet or the vet at Medi-Vet in case some breeds are particularly sensitive to this wormer.

The active ingredient "Fenbendazole" also known as Panacur or Safeguard.

Safeguard can be purchased in liquid form at most feed stores and there is

one in a smaller bottle for Sheep or Swine.  Same as the larger bottle

but in smaller package thus more affordable for those with less animals to

treat.  1 cc per 4.5 pounds administered morning and night the FIRST day

and then once daily for the next 4 days SHOULD BE all it takes to treat

Giardia.  Now if the puppy is walking in it's own feces OR the water it is

drinking is contaminated then it will continue to be an ongoing issue until

the puppy builds it's own immunity against the protozoan.    Bleach will kill

the Giardia protozoan on surfaces but it's an ongoing thing and not just a

one time quick fix. 

As always, it's best to discuss any medications or treatments with your vet.

Post Reply New Topic