new here

new here

dougiesgirl

QUOTE 6/3/2009 1:33:52 PM
hi,,,i am new here,,,wanted to ask a question about dog food,,,,,,,o,k,,,my dog had been throwing up for like the last month or so,,,,not a lot and not every day but,,,,,so,,,,,we took him to the vet,,,testes were done and ex-rays taken,,,,they figured out he had an infection in his intestens and gave me meds,,,they also said he has a food allergy,,,i was feeding him Natures choice,,,chicken rice and oatmeal formula,,,,,now,,,the vet has me feeding him IAMS skin and coat veterinary formula becouse it has a different ingrediant then what he was eating,,,,potatoe is the first ingrediant,.,,the second is Herring Meal,,,(source of fish oil)(3rd) catfish and (4th)animal fat,,,,plus obvously other ingerdiants,,,,,but i have never heard of fish for dogs,,,,,,has anybody else,
maoseger1010

QUOTE 6/3/2009 10:21:32 PM

Quote dougiesgirl:

hi,,,i am new here,,,wanted to ask a question about dog food,,,,,,,o,k,,,my dog had been throwing up for like the last month or so,,,,not a lot and not every day but,,,,,so,,,,,we took him to the vet,,,testes were done and ex-rays taken,,,,they figured out he had an infection in his intestens and gave me meds,,,they also said he has a food allergy,,,i was feeding him Natures choice,,,chicken rice and oatmeal formula,,,,,now,,,the vet has me feeding him IAMS skin and coat veterinary formula becouse it has a different ingrediant then what he was eating,,,,potatoe is the first ingrediant,.,,the second is Herring Meal,,,(source of fish oil)(3rd) catfish and (4th)animal fat,,,,plus obvously other ingerdiants,,,,,but i have never heard of fish for dogs,,,,,,has anybody else,
How did they determine he had food allergies??

Yes I've heard of dogs eating fish based products.
dougiesgirl

QUOTE 6/3/2009 10:54:33 PM
the vet didnt say for sure,,,he said i suspect he has a mild food allergy so,,,,,,,,,,guess i should of clarified that.
sammidupurr

QUOTE 6/4/2009 7:53:27 AM
Is his food coming back up immediately after eating? If so, maybe you could elevate his food dish. How old is your dog? I have 2 boston terrier puppies and one of them has a slightly elongated soft palate which can cause problems eating, i.e throwing up their food. I'm assuming they determined he had an intestinal infection by checking his stool? Did he have diarrhea? I hope you can get him over this because I know how much we love our pets and want them to be healthy. As far as feeding them fish, I feed my puppies "Taste of the Wild" food and some of it contains wild salmon. Also, I give them really good treats which contain salmon...they love it.
maryanddobes

QUOTE 6/4/2009 12:55:46 PM
Elevating the food dish greatly increases the risk of bloat (gastric torsion and volvulus) in particular breeds. Your dog may have reasons for needing an elevated food bowl, but it's not good overall advice for everyone.

For the original poster, sure, one of my dogs eats Pro Plan salmon and rice. Certainly, there are commercial foods that feature fish for dogs. Beyond that, some raw feeders include fish in their dog's diets. I give my dogs sardines and jack mackeral sometimes. They love it.
Post Reply New Topic