My Puppy keeps peeing inside

My Puppy keeps peeing inside

maxsmom09

QUOTE 5/26/2009 10:34:38 AM
I have an almost 6 month old Pappion. He is getting pottied trained fairly well but continues to potty inside even when we are diligent about taking him out regulary. Lately we take him out and he tinkles but then we bring him in and 10 mins later he pees in the house on the floor or now my futon.
I am new to the dog thing and getting very frustrated. Does anyone have any advice. He is in a crate at night and while at work.
Thanks
Frustrated Puppy Mom
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/26/2009 7:51:24 PM
When you take him outside do you take him for a walk or just into the yard? If the answer is I just take him in the yard, the answer to your problem is your not staying out long enough and or you should start taking him for a walk. This will give him more time to empty his bladder. Dogs have the ability to mark every bush and tree for several blocks, which means they can turn on and off their flow at will. You need to empty his badder by giving him more time to do so. Besure to clean the areas he's soild before very carefully.

If he is in a crate all day while your at work, he's got a lot of pee to get rid of so a nice long walk will be required.

You may want to invest in a doggy playpen, this allows your pup to be out of the crate and more room to romp and play with toys without giving him too much room to pee.

Keep in mind he is still young and still learning. :) My Shih tzu is also 6 months old and is only now starting to get the hang of things. I'm not expecting her to be fully housetrained until she is a year. It took my Chihuahua about 8 months of constant training. Your dog will likely live to be 12-15 years old, five years from now when he has been housetrained and wonderful you will know that one year of training was worth it. :)
maxsmom09

QUOTE 5/28/2009 10:31:41 AM
Thank you for the advice
I will take your advice on taking him for a walk and being outside longer.

I think a dog playpen is great idea.
Thanks
sammidupurr

QUOTE 6/4/2009 7:42:38 AM
I've owned dogs for years and can tell you they are all different and some train early and some later. I had 2 shih-tzus and one trained w/o any problems and the other one took about a year. I now have 2 boston terrier puppies (8 month old brothers) and one was completely housebroken when we brought him home at about 10 weeks and the other puppy has taken quite a bit longer. The key to successful training is "patience". He will be fine...just give him some time. Whatever you do, don't scold him when he has an accident in the house. If you catch him in the act, tell him "no" and take him outside. I know it can be very frustrating at times, but it will get better.
Post Reply New Topic