shihtzu ear infection....HELP

shihtzu ear infection....HELP

coveyduck359

QUOTE 5/21/2009 11:33:27 AM
I have a 3 year old female shih tzu. She is very healthy but I have spent many days back & forth to the vet with her little ears. Medications are only a temporary fix & I know they work but then when it starts all over again she is so uncomfortable & I feel terrible. She has chronic yeast infections & I have been changing her diet in many ways. I've cut out all dry dog food that has corn in it. They eat only the best of dry food. I occassionally give them apples from the human food as a treat but not very often.I have them on canine choice for shih tzus which was vet recommended & I know their diet plays a big role in allergies but I'm lost as to what to give her. Is there a certain brand of food that I can buy that has no yeats or corn in it that will help or is there something else wrong that I'm missing????
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/22/2009 4:27:51 PM

Quote coveyduck359:

I have a 3 year old female shih tzu. She is very healthy but I have spent many days back & forth to the vet with her little ears. Medications are only a temporary fix & I know they work but then when it starts all over again she is so uncomfortable & I feel terrible. She has chronic yeast infections & I have been changing her diet in many ways. I've cut out all dry dog food that has corn in it. They eat only the best of dry food. I occassionally give them apples from the human food as a treat but not very often.I have them on canine choice for shih tzus which was vet recommended & I know their diet plays a big role in allergies but I'm lost as to what to give her. Is there a certain brand of food that I can buy that has no yeats or corn in it that will help or is there something else wrong that I'm missing????
Who is bathing her? Is it possiable that their not doing a good job of keeping the water out of her ears?
coveyduck359

QUOTE 5/25/2009 8:32:31 AM
I believe that she doesn't allow water in her ears but that is interesting that you should say that, because maybe it could be something as simple as water.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/25/2009 5:46:55 PM

Quote coveyduck359:

I believe that she doesn't allow water in her ears but that is interesting that you should say that, because maybe it could be something as simple as water.
I had a Llasa Opso years ago who would get an ear infection shortly after he was groomed every time. I got ear plugs for them to put in his ears and poof the infections were gone.
kathystone

QUOTE 6/4/2009 3:54:55 AM
Check your dog's feet. Look under the foot and between the toes. Any redness? If there is that may be the source of the infection. Your dog walks on his feet and they pick up germs. Then he scratches his ears with those back feet and introduces the nasty bacteria/fungus/yeast into the ear. If you keep the hair under the pads clipped short and soak the feet in bleach water (1 cup bleach in a gallon of water) twice a day, it will clear up alot of the bacteria/fungus. Keep the hair plucked out of the ears and use an antifungal spray like Dr Scholls will help. I have used it on ringworm and the yeast infections some dogs get in their arm pits and crotch. You can also use antibacterial dish soap on the feet. Some groomers will shave the tops of the toes and comb the longh hair back over the foot to make it look like a natural foot. This helps especially in wet weather when the mud and crud they pick up on their feet is causing problems.
sammidupurr

QUOTE 6/4/2009 7:29:11 AM
I had 2 shih-tzus for almost 16 years and they never once had an ear infection. I bathed them every 2 weeks and always placed cotton balls in their ears and made sure I didn't get any water in their ears. I used an ear cleaner I purchased from Drs Foster and Smith and always followed up with an ear powder. The key to healthy ears is to keep them clean and always dry. I had a pug during the time I had the shih-tzus and as a puppy, he began having ear infections. I began the same treatment of keeping his ears clean and dry and infections were never an issue. Also, make sure your shih-tzu doesn't have ear mites.
Post Reply New Topic