When I was sick my dog did...

When I was sick my dog did...

maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/13/2009 4:14:04 PM
This is a chance for you to share stories of times when your dogs did something or acted in some way that made you realized that your dog knew you were sick.

I'll start, yesterday I had my gallbladder out and my six month old Shih tzu who is not normally a big cuddler has not left my side except to eat and potty. She keeps bringing me her toys and tucking them in my blankets around me, almost as if she's saying "Here mommy these will make you feel better"

Your turn...
leesagallo

QUOTE 5/15/2009 6:53:36 AM
My Lhasa, Taz, is like that. If I am sick he won't leave except to potty and eat/drink. But when I had my surgery he wouldn't leave me at all. My family had to bring his bowls to the living room if I was on the couch and to the bedroom when I was in there. And they had to carry him to make him go outside. It was like he knew this was a BIG SICK!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/15/2009 12:23:47 PM

Quote leesagallo:

My Lhasa, Taz, is like that. If I am sick he won't leave except to potty and eat/drink. But when I had my surgery he wouldn't leave me at all. My family had to bring his bowls to the living room if I was on the couch and to the bedroom when I was in there. And they had to carry him to make him go outside. It was like he knew this was a BIG SICK!
Lhasa's are such wonderful little dogs, I just love them. I am always amazed at how in tune with us our pets really are. :)
littlemissmom_23

QUOTE 5/16/2009 1:26:02 AM
When I was pregnant with my daughter my dogs never left my side (even more so than before I was pregnant). They would rest there heads on my belly and were very careful not to jump on me. My Chi/Poo even growled when someone would try and touch my stomach. When I finally went into labour it lasted 26 hours and 40 minutes....we finally had to put them in their kennel because they wouldn't leave me alone. They were licking me all over, rooting in my clothes with their noses and whining. It was pretty unbelievable how they knew.
When my daughter was born they growled at anyone that came close her and they never left her side, sleeping under the bassinet and almost vibrating with anxiety when she would cry!
leesagallo

QUOTE 5/16/2009 6:25:13 AM
In my experience with dogs, Lhasas seem to become more deeply attached than any other breed I've known. I had Taz's parents. When DeeDee died, poor little Odie almost grieved himself to death. He wouldn't eat or drink and moped around. It finally got so bad I had to squirt liquid vitamins, liquified can food and water down his throat several times a day. I'd sit with him and hold him and beg him to stay with me. It took 2 weeks before he finally would eat and drink a little on his own. I have never seen anything like that in all my 44 years! Most humans don't even grieve like that! And Taz is like that too. I am on vacation right now (my son just graduated basic training). I had to leave him where I work which is a place he is completely familiar and comfortable with. When I called, they said he is not eating or drinking, not even his treats. Gonna cut trip short if when I call today they say same.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/17/2009 11:33:50 AM

Quote leesagallo:

In my experience with dogs, Lhasas seem to become more deeply attached than any other breed I've known. I had Taz's parents. When DeeDee died, poor little Odie almost grieved himself to death. He wouldn't eat or drink and moped around. It finally got so bad I had to squirt liquid vitamins, liquified can food and water down his throat several times a day. I'd sit with him and hold him and beg him to stay with me. It took 2 weeks before he finally would eat and drink a little on his own. I have never seen anything like that in all my 44 years! Most humans don't even grieve like that! And Taz is like that too. I am on vacation right now (my son just graduated basic training). I had to leave him where I work which is a place he is completely familiar and comfortable with. When I called, they said he is not eating or drinking, not even his treats. Gonna cut trip short if when I call today they say same.
Have them tempt him with boiled chicken and rice. Have them take him for some good strong walks, maybe to a park were there are birds,dogs and other people. Stress him a bit, Sometimes they need a bit of stress to take their mind off their saddeness. I've seen this work for other dogs.
kathystone

QUOTE 5/18/2009 1:17:12 AM
There was a book written back in the 50's, i think, called " STOP! SIT! THINK!" by Charles Eisenmann. He was a baseball player at the time and he took his GSD with him on the road. If you rememvber the series from the 60's, "The Littlest Hobo" the dog went on to star in that show. If you talk to many of the movie dog trainers, they will tell you abouit special dogs who could ACT! Watch the movie FLUKE. That dog was a one shot wonder.... He almost always got his part down in one shot but the humans could hardly ever do that!
I do primarily rescue work with puppy mill dogs. Once they get used to being here, we go for a walk each morning as a group on our farm. It would AMAZE you how many dogs get the idea from watching, listening and following the actions of the other dogs. They learn to be housetrained within a few days in many cases and go on to lead normal lives sleeping with their new ownrers adn living like a dog should.
I truely believe it is us humans that are the stupid ones, not the dogs( or other animals!)
leesagallo

QUOTE 5/18/2009 7:51:07 PM

Quote maoseger1010:

Have them tempt him with boiled chicken and rice. Have them take him for some good strong walks, maybe to a park were there are birds,dogs and other people. Stress him a bit, Sometimes they need a bit of stress to take their mind off their saddeness. I've seen this work for other dogs.
Thanks! He finally started eating! We still cut short our vacation by a couple of days so I could get home to my little buddy!
makedoo

QUOTE 6/4/2009 12:05:39 PM
when i was five months old or so i cuaght a flue or something so it made it hard to breathe i also had a cat my mother had a baby moneter but it ran out of power the cat kept hissing at my mother so my mom got up and followed my cat in to my room i was turing blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i could not breath! my mom hurried and took me to the hospital my cat was a hero!
Post Reply New Topic