Puppy accidents @ 9 months

Puppy accidents @ 9 months

newfienavy

QUOTE 5/11/2009 12:11:24 PM
I have a 9 month old Border Collie/Shepard/unknown cross (mutt) and she is the sweetest thing ever. But the past two weeks she has been making a "mess" in the computer room. She never had a problem before, she has been house trained since she was 3 months old but 2 weeks ago we changed her food to adult (on our vet's advice)and she made several mistakes on the comptuer room carpet when we were at work and we never gave her any trouble since it couldn't be helped but since then wether she lets us know or not or even of the back door is open she decides to go in the same room. We have cleaned the carpets in the room so their is no more scent but it didn't seem to help.
Can anyone help me?
beaglebrat

QUOTE 5/12/2009 12:59:20 AM
She is pretty much still a puppy and if she can't handle being loose, or at least in that room when you are gone, you should crate or restrict her area again until she quits having accidents for a while.

Being 100% potty trained takes a while.

Good luck!
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/12/2009 7:57:35 AM

Quote newfienavy:

I have a 9 month old Border Collie/Shepard/unknown cross (mutt) and she is the sweetest thing ever. But the past two weeks she has been making a "mess" in the computer room. She never had a problem before, she has been house trained since she was 3 months old but 2 weeks ago we changed her food to adult (on our vet's advice)and she made several mistakes on the comptuer room carpet when we were at work and we never gave her any trouble since it couldn't be helped but since then wether she lets us know or not or even of the back door is open she decides to go in the same room. We have cleaned the carpets in the room so their is no more scent but it didn't seem to help.
Can anyone help me?
Ok, the first question is what has changed in the last two weeks? Is there more stress in the home? Have you changed your routine, had a baby, moved furniture, work longer hours, changed her dog food, have new neighbors, is there a new dog around or a cat?

If she never had a problem before it is likely something has changed.

The easiest thing you can do is deny access to the room. Don't give her the option to go in there and mess. Then start taking her out every 30 to 45 minutes while she is awake, after eating and so on, just like you would have when she was younger. A few days of that and she should be back to her old self.
newfienavy

QUOTE 5/12/2009 10:59:36 AM
The only that has changed in the past two weeks is her new food. But we kept her restricted during the day to the kitchen and when we are home she is out every 45 minutes or so. She never has to wait more than one hour. We have denied her access to the room unless we are in it, but this morning when she got out of bed she drank and then as soon as we opened the computer room door, she went right away. She has runied the carpet in there, does anyone know how to clean up a carpet, we have tried everything we can think of.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/13/2009 3:53:36 PM

Quote newfienavy:

The only that has changed in the past two weeks is her new food. But we kept her restricted during the day to the kitchen and when we are home she is out every 45 minutes or so. She never has to wait more than one hour. We have denied her access to the room unless we are in it, but this morning when she got out of bed she drank and then as soon as we opened the computer room door, she went right away. She has runied the carpet in there, does anyone know how to clean up a carpet, we have tried everything we can think of.
"but this morning when she got out of bed she drank and then as soon as we opened the computer room door, she went right away."

Ok I don't want to seem rude, but who's fault was it she pottied in that room this morning? Restricting her access means all the time period. She has learned a bad habit and you need retrain her.

Also what did you change her food to? Why did you change it? My gut tells me that you easily dismissed the change of food as the problem, but you shouldn't. Ask yourself this question, "If the food couldn't have been the problem then why was it one of the first questions this person asked me?"

As for your carpets, at this point it depends on what you've done to clean them up to this point. How did you clean them? What type of carpet is it. Depending on what you've used and they type of carpet, your only choice may be to replace the carpet. Your best chance to save then would be to call a profession to come in and tell you what they can do. Caution, depending on the size of your room, you may be able to replace the carpet and pad for only slightly more than some cleaners will charge you to clean them. So check around before you buy.

Good luck.

3oh3yo

QUOTE 5/14/2009 2:09:33 PM
edited
mrslbaker

QUOTE 5/20/2009 10:48:00 AM
I have a 16 week old yorkie and any advice any one can give would be greatly appreciated.

Do anyone know how to break a yorkie from peeing in the crate!!!!
newfienavy

QUOTE 5/21/2009 4:37:09 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, she is beginning to act like herself again and the only time that the computer room door is open is when we are in there and she is outside. Also I would highly recommed a dog food named Blue Bison for anyone who has a puppy/dog that is a shepard or part. It has helped her coat so much, its shiny and not so flaky anymore. Does anyone know if Pink Salmon is good for a 9 month old?
catus234

QUOTE 5/24/2009 5:33:36 AM
Edited by Gbat1stop
sammidupurr

QUOTE 6/4/2009 10:52:53 AM
When you changed his food, did you do it gradually by mixing your old food with the new? Changing a dogs food can cause loose stool.
Post Reply New Topic