BYB

BYB

jimswick

QUOTE 4/22/2009 10:49:10 PM
Hello out there....I've been doing some research about breeders and picking out a dog...and I've come across the term "BYB." What does this mean???

NAIVE
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/22/2009 11:53:17 PM

Quote jimswick:

Hello out there....I've been doing some research about breeders and picking out a dog...and I've come across the term "BYB." What does this mean???

NAIVE
Back Yard Breeder
maryanddobes

QUOTE 4/24/2009 12:40:41 PM
To expand on the term a bit so you understand, a backyard breeder is the kind of person who pretty much just breeds the 2 dogs they happen to own. They don't seek the best match for their girl. They just use the male they have because he's convenient and Sport and Fluffy are sure to make great pets. Which is the other issue - they aren't breeding *for* anything. They don't usually know or understand much about conformation, pedigrees, temperament, health issues, etc. They just love their pets and think everyone should have one just like them OR they see it as a means to make extra cash. OR they just don't know enough to spay/neuter their pets and they continually have "accidents". Anyway, they don't know much beyond their own backyard and the dogs in it.

Let's just say that their reasons for breeding are wayyyyy different than those of responsible breeders who breed to try and improve/maintain their breed in areas like conformation, temperament, health, working ability, longevity, etc.

A backyard breeder may be a very nice person who really cares for their dogs. It's not like they come with hunchbacks, green faces and nasty temperaments that identify them to the public! It's just that there usually isn't a deep well of knowledge, responsibility and experience behind the breeding they are doing.

velmadobe

QUOTE 4/27/2009 8:36:52 PM

Quote maryanddobes:

To expand on the term a bit so you understand, a backyard breeder is the kind of person who pretty much just breeds the 2 dogs they happen to own. They don't seek the best match for their girl. They just use the male they have because he's convenient and Sport and Fluffy are sure to make great pets. Which is the other issue - they aren't breeding *for* anything. They don't usually know or understand much about conformation, pedigrees, temperament, health issues, etc. They just love their pets and think everyone should have one just like them OR they see it as a means to make extra cash. OR they just don't know enough to spay/neuter their pets and they continually have "accidents". Anyway, they don't know much beyond their own backyard and the dogs in it.

Let's just say that their reasons for breeding are wayyyyy different than those of responsible breeders who breed to try and improve/maintain their breed in areas like conformation, temperament, health, working ability, longevity, etc.

A backyard breeder may be a very nice person who really cares for their dogs. It's not like they come with hunchbacks, green faces and nasty temperaments that identify them to the public! It's just that there usually isn't a deep well of knowledge, responsibility and experience behind the breeding they are doing.

yeah, what she said

and just to add to it.... they are the breeders that you want to try and avoid along with the commercial greeders.
climberchic

QUOTE 5/16/2009 1:03:15 PM
I just wanted to add that not all BYB are bad and the fact that they are a BYB shouldn't make you automatically not want a puppy from them. All puppies need a home, or else they'll end up in a shelter. Whether you buy it from the BYB or adopt it from a shelter, are you not getting the same dog? A puppy in need of a home. If everyone only wanted dogs with perfect health and perfect genes from "reputable breeders" what would happen to all the other dogs who didn't neccesarily meet those standards? Just saying...lots of dogs need homes. (and no, I'm not a breeder, I think there are way too many puppies that need homes)
maryanddobes

QUOTE 5/16/2009 4:06:48 PM
There is a huge difference between supporting a shelter/rescue and supporting a byb. The shelter is there BECAUSE of bybs that don't take responsibility for their dogs.

In my perfect world, no one would buy dogs/puppies from bybs. If they couldn't move their "product", it would wind up in a shelter. If the dog/puppy came from the shelter, and the shelter derived an adoption fee, that's fine by me. But no one should be putting money into the hands of irresponsible bybs. Money is a huge motivator for them, and no one should enable them to want to continue what they do. There are no good bybs.
velmadobe

QUOTE 5/20/2009 5:19:43 PM

Quote maryanddobes:

There is a huge difference between supporting a shelter/rescue and supporting a byb. The shelter is there BECAUSE of bybs that don't take responsibility for their dogs.

In my perfect world, no one would buy dogs/puppies from bybs. If they couldn't move their "product", it would wind up in a shelter. If the dog/puppy came from the shelter, and the shelter derived an adoption fee, that's fine by me. But no one should be putting money into the hands of irresponsible bybs. Money is a huge motivator for them, and no one should enable them to want to continue what they do. There are no good bybs.
amen
Post Reply New Topic