How Can I Convince Mom to Get a Puppy?

How Can I Convince Mom to Get a Puppy?

starstruck52673

QUOTE 4/10/2009 6:53:21 PM
I am seventeen years old and I really want a puppy. I am not some little teenager who just wants one because they are cute. I actually want one because I love dogs and would love to care for and raise it myself. I have found a breeder in the area who will sell one to me for a resonable price. They will be ready to come home in June. This summer, I will be working as a lifeguard at the local pool. However, I do not have any money now. I would like for my mother to buy me the puppy at the beginning of the summer and me pay her back gradually as I get my paychecks. I will be home a lot this summer so I will have time to train it and care for it. The only issue is that in one year I will be leaving for college. I know my mom doesn't want to be stuck with the responsibilities. But I have two little sisters (11 and 13) who would love to take care of the puppy. And I will be going to college only twenty minutes away, and possibly commuting. So how can I convince her of this? That I really want this, would really be responsible, and really pay her back for it?
maoseger1010

QUOTE 4/11/2009 8:22:33 AM

Quote starstruck52673:

I am seventeen years old and I really want a puppy. I am not some little teenager who just wants one because they are cute. I actually want one because I love dogs and would love to care for and raise it myself. I have found a breeder in the area who will sell one to me for a resonable price. They will be ready to come home in June. This summer, I will be working as a lifeguard at the local pool. However, I do not have any money now. I would like for my mother to buy me the puppy at the beginning of the summer and me pay her back gradually as I get my paychecks. I will be home a lot this summer so I will have time to train it and care for it. The only issue is that in one year I will be leaving for college. I know my mom doesn't want to be stuck with the responsibilities. But I have two little sisters (11 and 13) who would love to take care of the puppy. And I will be going to college only twenty minutes away, and possibly commuting. So how can I convince her of this? That I really want this, would really be responsible, and really pay her back for it?
Are you planning to go to college? Do you know if your first apartment will except dogs? Will you have enough money to feed, and get any medical attention the dog may require for the next 12 15 years? How about puppy training classes? What if your puppy has a health issue that needs monthly medication, will you be able to afford it? If and when you go to college or go to work, who will care for the young dog all day while your working or in class?

I understand your "want" to have a puppy but this time in your life is not a good one for "you" to get a puppy. UNLESS your mom wants a dog that she will have once you've left the house.

If having a dog is what you want you may get farther with your mom if you looked into getting an older rescue so that when you do move out or go to college your mom isn't raising what will still be a very young dog.

In My Opinion.
moggie

QUOTE 4/11/2009 11:44:12 AM
good morning, if i were you, i would copy the post you have just posted and seal it in an envelope addressed to mom. heres my opinion, there is absolutely Nothing wrong with your wanting a puppy. every family should have a dog. peoples lives change daily and even though you are going off to college someday, it sounds like you have plenty of family who would love the family puppy while you are away. i cant imagine not having a dog. i have always owned a dog and it was the responsibility of the entire family of which it should be. people get married, have children, fall ill, go broke, go off to work, go off to college, and even die. this doesnt mean that you should not have a dog because your life might change. all of our lives WILL change and we usually have no controll over it. discuss this with your family and all get together and make the decision. it is a very rewarding one. good luck and happy easter.
clochee

QUOTE 4/11/2009 4:35:59 PM
First of all, I would LOVE to get a puppy...but my parents won't let me get a puppy either. The thing that works best for me when I want something is called "Pester Power". This works for me (I'm not even a teenager yet so it may not work for you). Just keep aking and asking your mom to get you a puppy. The only reason I'm not allowed a puppy is because you need to walk it every day and my parents aren't too happy about the poop.

Good luck in getting a puppy and in college...
Clochee

gbat1stop

QUOTE 4/11/2009 4:58:58 PM

Quote moggie:

good morning, if i were you, i would copy the post you have just posted and seal it in an envelope addressed to mom. heres my opinion, there is absolutely Nothing wrong with your wanting a puppy. every family should have a dog. peoples lives change daily and even though you are going off to college someday, it sounds like you have plenty of family who would love the family puppy while you are away. i cant imagine not having a dog. i have always owned a dog and it was the responsibility of the entire family of which it should be. people get married, have children, fall ill, go broke, go off to work, go off to college, and even die. this doesnt mean that you should not have a dog because your life might change. all of our lives WILL change and we usually have no controll over it. discuss this with your family and all get together and make the decision. it is a very rewarding one. good luck and happy easter.
I agree that all families should enjoy having a pet in their lives but pets are not for all families.

The OP is a teenager who is heading off to college before long and this pup is going to be left with family members who may not be so willing to care for a dog that the OP wanted. Yes, peoples lives change with and without warning but when you are aware of changes BEFORE bringing a dog into your home, you need to prepare for those changes first.

I suggest that the OP speak with their parents and find out why they are against bringing a dog in the home and work from there. There may be many reasons they do not want a dog. It is hard for a stranger to give advise on convincing these parents when we have no clue what their reasons are for saying no to begin with.

As a parent myself, the "Pester Power" does not work....AT ALL....regardless of your age.

moggie

QUOTE 4/11/2009 7:31:27 PM

Quote gbat1stop:

I agree that all families should enjoy having a pet in their lives but pets are not for all families.

The OP is a teenager who is heading off to college before long and this pup is going to be left with family members who may not be so willing to care for a dog that the OP wanted. Yes, peoples lives change with and without warning but when you are aware of changes BEFORE bringing a dog into your home, you need to prepare for those changes first.

I suggest that the OP speak with their parents and find out why they are against bringing a dog in the home and work from there. There may be many reasons they do not want a dog. It is hard for a stranger to give advise on convincing these parents when we have no clue what their reasons are for saying no to begin with.

As a parent myself, the "Pester Power" does not work....AT ALL....regardless of your age.

i guess all of that will unfold when mom gets the letter now wont it??? its the perfect lead into the subject i would say.
starstruck52673

QUOTE 4/11/2009 8:15:02 PM
I forgot to mention that we do already have a dog, Reese. She is a German Shepard and is about four years old. Having a dog is not something new to our family.
lucyga

QUOTE 4/25/2009 6:58:18 PM
My family loves pets but we are in economical problems. I want a Chihuahua, but we live in Costa Rica and here the best price that we have known for the Chihuahuas is of $350! My mom tells me that next year we can buy one. I tell he that I can buy one with my money but she refuse because we are going to move to Spain in August. How can I convince her?

QUOTE 5/27/2009 10:31:24 PM
hey i just got a puppy on 5/27/09 and i had ben begging my mom for a long time and i relized begging isnt the way to go. you should be polite and mature about it. but the way we had got our dog is my 5 year old sister cryed when we left without one...... so maybe you should cry if being mature about it dosent work. and a tip is get your fact for the dog you want and find the one that suits your mom the best and you! hope i helped
makedoo

QUOTE 6/4/2009 11:35:49 AM

Quote starstruck52673:

I have the same problem but i am not goin to collage till two years any way sometimes this does not work but have you been going book crazy all week reading about the special breed you want? And telling your mother or father that a dog will be a great way to work out a little while walking it and for a way for your two little sisters to become more responsblie you might be beging to much for her to pay for it so it just will bug her and think more that she should not pay for it for you so do not keep on fighting with her! or you could ask her about her dog as a kid and she will rember all the joy of having a dog she will rember how she felt about beging and her parents saying no and the feeling she had when all the begging was done and had finally got her dog find out about the breed she likes and go for that breed if she does not like yours rember this does not always work but it worked for me
makedoo

QUOTE 6/4/2009 11:46:53 AM

Quote starstruck52673:

I have the same problem but i am not goin to collage till two years any way sometimes this does not work but have you been going book crazy all week reading about the special breed you want? And telling your mother or father that a dog will be a great way to work out a little while walking it and for a way for your two little sisters to become more responsblie you might be beging to much for her to pay for it so it just will bug her and think more that she should not pay for it for you so do not keep on fighting with her! or you could ask her about her dog as a kid and she will rember all the joy of having a dog she will rember how she felt about beging and her parents saying no and the feeling she had when all the begging was done and had finally got her dog find out about the breed she likes and go for that breed if she does not like yours rember this does not always work but it worked for me
Post Reply New Topic