Dog Question

Dog Question

dots1234

QUOTE 2/13/2009 11:16:37 AM
Hello-I posted last week that I was considering getting a St. Bernard puppy, figuring that I was going to be laid off from work and would be home full time for at least a year or so. As it turns out, I will not be getting laid off, so I'll still be working full time, so a puppy is out of the question. I am looking for people's opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea to get an adult dog (Saint Bernard) whereas it may be left alone up to 8 hours, 4 days out of the week (this is the worst case scenario). I've had dogs before, but I was in a different situation, in that there were more adults in the household that came and went so the dogs were not usually left alone for that long, although they occasionally were and there were never problems. I guess I am looking for people's opinions as to whether or not this would be unfair to the dog, or if I am overanalyzing this. We do have a cat we rescued that would be home all day with the dog (not sure if that would be a good or bad thing because this is my first cat). Thanks.
dots1234

QUOTE 2/26/2009 10:22:10 AM
***Bump****
Hi-I don't want to be obnoxious (bumping my own post), but was wondering if any of the more experienced dog people on here have an opinion on leaving a dog home alone for up to 8 hours a few days a week. I was considering getting a 10 month old puppy who is house trained (my husband will be home full time for the next 3 or so months, so the dog would be over a year before being left for that amount of time). A dog walker is also a possibility.

Thanks for any input!
loveablepuppies

QUOTE 2/26/2009 3:40:43 PM
I believe I posted in your last post...

We used to have a St. Bernard, they sleep a lot specially during the day and are up more when you are home. Our baby was the best boy and we worked full time jobs and he did great alone. Of coarse when we got home he got plenty of attention from us but he didn't mind us leaving during the day.
makedoo

QUOTE 6/14/2009 9:49:39 PM
i do not want to make you fell dumb but i do not really think that is the best breed adult or puppy
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/15/2009 7:48:54 AM

Quote makedoo:

i do not want to make you fell dumb but i do not really think that is the best breed adult or puppy
let her make her own decision.as long as she is asking questions and advice from people that own st bernard dogs that is good.the more education she gets about her choice of dog the better off for her and the dog.
dots1234

QUOTE 6/15/2009 8:37:37 AM
No worries, I don't "fell" dumb

We got our big baby on 4/17 and have been crazy busy with him. He's now 3 1/2 months old (about 55 lbs of clumsy puppy!!!). My husband had knee surgery and will be out of work until at least the beginning of October, so the pup will be 7 months old before he has to spend any lengthy time alone during the day. He's the best, sweetest, cutest and smartest big boy, so no regrets here. He just has a fabulous personality, and a side benefit is now we know all of our neighbors because they all come out to play with him when we walk him. He's like a celebrity on our street! Also, in case anyone is wondering about Saints, he has consistently been able to be crated for 8 hours overnight with no accidents (I had always heard that you wouldn't expect more than 3 - 4 hours for puppies to hold their urine). He's had maybe two accidents overnight in his crate. He just sleeps right through, no whining, barking or anything. We just love him to death!
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/15/2009 9:22:32 AM
he sounds really neat.puppies are great no matter what the breed.do you have any pics of him?
beckhamcarol

QUOTE 6/15/2009 10:30:40 PM
when breeding puppies at what age do you let them leave mother.also how many shots does it get before they go to homes.
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/16/2009 4:58:56 AM

Quote beckhamcarol:

when breeding puppies at what age do you let them leave mother.also how many shots does it get before they go to homes.
i believe it is at least 10wks if not a little longer until it's good to leave mom.as far as shots-i believe it is the first set of shots if not also the 2nd.
dots1234

QUOTE 6/16/2009 9:17:52 AM
Hi- I do have pic's, but I need to figure out how to get them from the camera to the computer. He's adorable - he has these huge soft paws.

I think the min. age to get a puppy is 8 weeks, but 10-12 weeks is better because starting at 6 weeks they start to learn things like not to poop/pee where they sleep and bite inhibition. We got Gus at 7 1/2 weeks, and I think that I would wait next time until they had the extra time with Mom and siblings. By 8 weeks they should have been dewormed and gotten the first set of shots. We took Gus at 9 weeks for his second set and 12 weeks for his third. Sixteen weeks they get their first rabies that should last a year and then when it gets renewed at the end of the year the next one should last three years. That sums up my understanding of the shots/vet appts for the first 6 months or so.
runningridge

QUOTE 8/16/2009 10:30:15 AM

Quote maligirl1:

i believe it is at least 10wks if not a little longer until it's good to leave mom.as far as shots-i believe it is the first set of shots if not also the 2nd.
8 weeks is the normal time to wean puppies and let them go to new homes.  You can't set it in stone though as some just aren't ready at that time, others don't get their teeth in by that time to eat and there are a slew of other things to consider as well.

Puppies form attachments though between 8 and 14 weeks of age so it's best to get one within that time frame so that it forms attachments to your family.

"MOM" is ready for them to go believe me as their little teeth are SHARP by

8 weeks of age. 
noskiveez

QUOTE 8/17/2009 1:10:54 AM

Quote makedoo:

I didnt realize that this thread was one of those "help me decide what kind of dog to get" threads.

I do recall the OP asking fir advice on the age of a perspective dog.

Please pay attention, you seem to have trouble keeping up with whats going on.

noskiveez

QUOTE 8/17/2009 1:15:53 AM
Personally if it were me, I would go with an older dog if there are going to be long periods that your not going to be home in a day. Of course thats just my thoughts on the matter. It seems like your looking at all your options and that your going to make a well informed choice. Wish you the best!

maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/17/2009 8:36:32 AM

Quote dots1234:

Hello-I posted last week that I was considering getting a St. Bernard puppy, figuring that I was going to be laid off from work and would be home full time for at least a year or so. As it turns out, I will not be getting laid off, so I'll still be working full time, so a puppy is out of the question. I am looking for people's opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea to get an adult dog (Saint Bernard) whereas it may be left alone up to 8 hours, 4 days out of the week (this is the worst case scenario). I've had dogs before, but I was in a different situation, in that there were more adults in the household that came and went so the dogs were not usually left alone for that long, although they occasionally were and there were never problems. I guess I am looking for people's opinions as to whether or not this would be unfair to the dog, or if I am overanalyzing this. We do have a cat we rescued that would be home all day with the dog (not sure if that would be a good or bad thing because this is my first cat). Thanks.
I think you would be fine getting an older dog.  Of course I would not give the dog free roam of the house while your gone. 
Post Reply New Topic