American Eskimo/Shih Tzu mix puppy

American Eskimo/Shih Tzu mix puppy

shihmolove

QUOTE 12/3/2008 10:53:47 PM
Hi! I'm new to the forum and am looking for some opinions about my new puppy. I say opinions because i know there's no way to know for sure, so any thoughts on this are welcome!

About a week ago I adopted an 8 week old puppy from an animal rescue organization. He is an American Eskimo Shih Tzu mix (yes, i know, not a real breed!). What i'm wondering is if anyone knows the size he will likely reach. The staff at the organization said he will probably get to be about 25 lbs or so, but we can't be sure because we don't know the size of the parents.

As of right now at 8 weeks he's about 6 lbs and is about 10" tall. His legs are about 5" but are very thick and his paws are very big, and fill most of the palm of my hand. I've heard you can predict the size of the dog by the paws, but I don't know anything about either individual breed and for all I know they might just have big feet with no height. It is difficult to see the shih tzu in him, and is only really obvious around his eyes, other than that he looks fully eskimo.

I am wondering this because I am hoping he will be a larger dog, like at least 18" and 25 lbs. I'll love him either way, i'm just partial to bigger dogs.

Also, if anyone has any experience with a shih mo please share, especially if you have any knowledge of their temperment.

Thank you for any help you can give!
perfectpom

QUOTE 12/4/2008 3:20:12 PM
I would say the staffs guess is probably about right. You will just have to wait and see.

We don't have anything against mixed breeds here adopted from shelters...it's the intentional breeding of mutts 4 bucks many have a problem with.
miami113

QUOTE 2/2/2009 2:12:28 AM
First off, this was a grreat choice for a puppy! I currently own an american eskimo-shih tzu mix and he is the best dog I could have ever asked for. He is very intelligent, clever, funny, lots of personality etc.! In terms of size he is pretty small, not 25 pounds. He is more around 16 pounds and he is full grown. I have noticed that he has always had very thick paws, probably for the snow. I hope yours is fantastic and good luck!
beaglebrat

QUOTE 2/3/2009 12:57:35 AM

Quote perfectpom:

I would say the staffs guess is probably about right. You will just have to wait and see.

We don't have anything against mixed breeds here adopted from shelters...it's the intentional breeding of mutts 4 bucks many have a problem with.
Interesting. So you just are for mixed breeds created by the worst of the worst dog owners that don't spay or neuter their dog, and let them run around and get pregnant or impregnant others.

That makes a LOT of sense.

If it is the money thing, like I said on the other thread, I don't know of ANY BREEDER, even Purebred show breeders that try or like losing money.

Your dogs are purebred and they were made by breeders who crank out puppies for nothing more than money-- and you supported it.

I also don't see you rescuing dogs and bringing them in to your home.
perfectpom

QUOTE 2/3/2009 1:22:15 PM
Beagle honestly you aren't that intelligent. Your rant needs to make sense and it really doesn't.

The OP "seemed" to have a perceived notion that we are against mixing here and I just replied that generally "in the past" people here are not against getting a mixed breed from the shelter but they don't believe in intentional mixing.

There is nothing that says I have to rescue from a shelter, you seem to be using that now as a constant point to throw attention off your own questionable practices.

I never claimed to be some valiant rescuer. What does that have to do with the fact that you intentionally mix to make money?

I've already copped to the fact that I supported a messed up industry. I'm very over that and as far as I'm concerned I did "rescue" my Yorkie and that's all that matters to me as I know god himself would never judge me harshly on that point. I have faith in that so nothing you say can ruffle my feathers about it.

Ya know I think I have it figured out now you must have gotten banned at the other place as it is unusual indeed that you could keep your mouth shut for an extended period. Hence your attack that I face the same fate.

Continue to think you are worthy and what you are doing will get you good in life...it's clear to see you are unstable.

maoseger1010

QUOTE 2/3/2009 6:35:10 PM

Quote shihmolove:

Hi! I'm new to the forum and am looking for some opinions about my new puppy. I say opinions because i know there's no way to know for sure, so any thoughts on this are welcome!

About a week ago I adopted an 8 week old puppy from an animal rescue organization. He is an American Eskimo Shih Tzu mix (yes, i know, not a real breed!). What i'm wondering is if anyone knows the size he will likely reach. The staff at the organization said he will probably get to be about 25 lbs or so, but we can't be sure because we don't know the size of the parents.

As of right now at 8 weeks he's about 6 lbs and is about 10" tall. His legs are about 5" but are very thick and his paws are very big, and fill most of the palm of my hand. I've heard you can predict the size of the dog by the paws, but I don't know anything about either individual breed and for all I know they might just have big feet with no height. It is difficult to see the shih tzu in him, and is only really obvious around his eyes, other than that he looks fully eskimo.

I am wondering this because I am hoping he will be a larger dog, like at least 18" and 25 lbs. I'll love him either way, i'm just partial to bigger dogs.

Also, if anyone has any experience with a shih mo please share, especially if you have any knowledge of their temperment.

Thank you for any help you can give!
At eight weeks if he's already at 6 pounds I'd be pretty confident in saying he'll easily hit 18 to 20 at a year maybe more. I used to pet sit for a poorly bred shih tzu that was 25 pounds and their not all the uncommon. So with your mix I'd expect bigger not smaller. Or maybe I should say heavier not lighter. He may never get real tall but still carry some weight.

I'm wondering what hair type does he have or can you tell yet?

Welcome to the board.
shearosche

QUOTE 5/29/2009 2:57:55 PM
You probably have reached full size by now with your Shih Mo. I have one that is two years and three months old. He is an awesome, very smart dog with a very easy going personality. He interacts with other dogs very well and loves most people. He is full grown at 20 pounds. He has moments of being slightly heavier and that seems to make him a little lazy so his ideal weight is about 18 pounds probably. Good luck and I hope your baby is as much a joy to you as mine is to me.

Sharon & Oliver
maoseger1010

QUOTE 5/30/2009 6:42:22 PM

Quote shearosche:

You probably have reached full size by now with your Shih Mo. I have one that is two years and three months old. He is an awesome, very smart dog with a very easy going personality. He interacts with other dogs very well and loves most people. He is full grown at 20 pounds. He has moments of being slightly heavier and that seems to make him a little lazy so his ideal weight is about 18 pounds probably. Good luck and I hope your baby is as much a joy to you as mine is to me.

Sharon & Oliver
So what is his hair like?
Post Reply New Topic