How do you ship a dog to someone?

How do you ship a dog to someone?

krissy2696

QUOTE 10/16/2008 7:00:58 PM
I have been getting tons of replies on my lab mix pup for adoption, but everyone is out of state and wants me to ship him. How in the heck do I do that? And how much does something like that cost? And how will it affect the dog? He's 9 months old, and is about 50-55 lbs. Any advice? Or should I just find someone who wants him locally.

Thank You!!!!!!!!
beaglebrat

QUOTE 10/16/2008 11:37:33 PM

Quote krissy2696:

I have been getting tons of replies on my lab mix pup for adoption, but everyone is out of state and wants me to ship him. How in the heck do I do that? And how much does something like that cost? And how will it affect the dog? He's 9 months old, and is about 50-55 lbs. Any advice? Or should I just find someone who wants him locally.

Thank You!!!!!!!!
With fuel price increases it will be VERY expensive to ship a dog that size.

First you will need a large airline crate $65 plus.

Then a current rabies vaccine $15 plus if it is not already done for any puppy over 12 weeks.

Then you will need a required Interstate travel certificate completed by the vet completed with in 10 days of the travel. That can be anywhere from an office visit to some vets charge $60 or more.

Then there is the airfare. Airfare is a minimum of $195 right now for any airline I know about and that is for a cat carrier. A large crate you are probably at least looking at $300 plus for airfare.

Total they are probably looking at $400-600 total shipping expenses for a large dog, depending on the vet expenses and the airline used.
moggie

QUOTE 10/17/2008 6:47:23 AM

Quote beaglebrat:

With fuel price increases it will be VERY expensive to ship a dog that size.

First you will need a large airline crate $65 plus.

Then a current rabies vaccine $15 plus if it is not already done for any puppy over 12 weeks.

Then you will need a required Interstate travel certificate completed by the vet completed with in 10 days of the travel. That can be anywhere from an office visit to some vets charge $60 or more.

Then there is the airfare. Airfare is a minimum of $195 right now for any airline I know about and that is for a cat carrier. A large crate you are probably at least looking at $300 plus for airfare.

Total they are probably looking at $400-600 total shipping expenses for a large dog, depending on the vet expenses and the airline used.
i think you should find someone locally!! bb is right..its very expensive right now for any dog. here is what a small dog was last month...20.00 crate...31.00 health cert.
10.00 rabies vaccine. delta charges 251.00 for the shipping...and this is a small crate with a 3# dog inside. total...310.00 plus!! you can add another pile of money on top of that for the size of crate you will need and also the added weight..!!!good luck!!
arachyd

QUOTE 10/17/2008 10:06:35 PM
There are a few different ways of transporting a dog but it is usually up to the new owner to make all the arrangements. Personally, I've used a professional dog hauler and was happy with the service. They kept in contact by cell phone and the dog was well cared for while making the trip. The downside is that it takes a couple of days to go across the country that way. The upside is the dog is right there in the vehicle being observed, fed, watered and walked during rest stops. Complete vaccinations are usually required for the safety of the dog.
moggie

QUOTE 10/18/2008 5:47:50 AM

Quote arachyd:

There are a few different ways of transporting a dog but it is usually up to the new owner to make all the arrangements. Personally, I've used a professional dog hauler and was happy with the service. They kept in contact by cell phone and the dog was well cared for while making the trip. The downside is that it takes a couple of days to go across the country that way. The upside is the dog is right there in the vehicle being observed, fed, watered and walked during rest stops. Complete vaccinations are usually required for the safety of the dog.
ill disagree with you again...it is normally the breeder who aranges the travel itenary...not the new owner. i personally would never use a dog transport...too many little bugs to go around in a truck full of puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!they do just fine on the plane...and an average trip is about 3 to 6 hours...not...days!!!
noskiveez

QUOTE 10/18/2008 11:21:48 AM
I will agree the sender made travel arraingements not the buyer.
gbat1stop

QUOTE 10/18/2008 4:21:45 PM

Quote noskiveez:

I will agree the sender made travel arraingements not the buyer.
I agree that the breeder usually makes arrangements for shipping but it seems arachyd may have made her own plans by using a transport service rather than shipping by plane as most breeders choose to do.
moggie

QUOTE 10/18/2008 7:23:18 PM

Quote gbat1stop:

I agree that the breeder usually makes arrangements for shipping but it seems arachyd may have made her own plans by using a transport service rather than shipping by plane as most breeders choose to do.
hadnt thought of that!!! maybe so!!
Post Reply New Topic