6 week old yorkie

6 week old yorkie

wildflower58

QUOTE 6/9/2008 12:03:18 PM
i just got a 6 week old yorkie and i know she is a baby and will sleep alot but i have to almost make her stand on her little legs to exercise .she falls asleep eating out of her food bowl . is this normal ? allthough this morning i took her in yard and she followed me all over it which made me feel better . wene will she start playing more and being active ? please help me , first baby puppy i ever had .
littlemissmom_23

QUOTE 6/9/2008 3:56:20 PM

Quote wildflower58:

i just got a 6 week old yorkie and i know she is a baby and will sleep alot but i have to almost make her stand on her little legs to exercise .she falls asleep eating out of her food bowl . is this normal ? allthough this morning i took her in yard and she followed me all over it which made me feel better . wene will she start playing more and being active ? please help me , first baby puppy i ever had .
6 weeks is too young for any pup to be taken from their mom and littermates. Especially considering they can't even have their first vaccinations until 8 wks. They learn a lot from their mother and littermates up until 8-10 wks old.
Anyways, I went and visited my puppy when she was 6 weeks old and she was very whiny, shivering, trying to stick her face in my neck and looked soooo sad.
At 7 weeks she would play for about 15 minutes, then was so wiped out she was so tired, then she would sleep for about 15 minutes, then wake up ready to go again.
Even when we brought her home at 8 weeks she slept a lot - just like human babies...sleep, eat, poop, play.
However, you should not have to force your puppy to stand up. What are you feeding and how often is the pup eating and drinking? Has she been checked by a vet yet? I don't know much about Yorkies specifically but I do know they are a very fragile breed, if you are sincerely concerned contact a vet.
boswer

QUOTE 6/9/2008 4:46:10 PM

Quote wildflower58:

Way too young to have been taken away. This is normal what you are experiencing though. Puppies this young should still be with the mother and other pups in the litter. Yes he is going to sleep alot at this stage and shouldn't even be expected to play much none the less in the yard. You will eventually as the puppy grows older need to socialize him because he was taken away way too soon from the litter and could become people friendly and dog agressive having no socialization with his mates.
Boswer
beaglebrat

QUOTE 6/9/2008 5:12:13 PM
I have had one litter of Yorkies and I didn't let the larger ones go until 10 weeks. The smallest one, I never let go, because I didn't think that the average pet owner could keep him alive due to the hypoglycemia.

That 6 week old puppies does need to keep eating and hydrated or it will die. Yorkies at that age need to eat every few hours. If you don't have it, you REALLY NEED to go get some nutri-cal or nutri-stat.

Small puppies need extra sugar and calories or they can go in to a coma and die. It is pretty serious business.

I can't believe that a breeder would let a Yorkie go that young.

I really don't buy that the puppy needs to be with it's mom and littermates. As long as people remain alpha, you should be ok. Our favorite dog is an orphan singleton puppy and she turn out great with people and dogs.
boswer

QUOTE 6/9/2008 6:43:14 PM

Quote boswer:

Way too young to have been taken away. This is normal what you are experiencing though. Puppies this young should still be with the mother and other pups in the litter. Yes he is going to sleep alot at this stage and shouldn't even be expected to play much none the less in the yard. You will eventually as the puppy grows older need to socialize him because he was taken away way too soon from the litter and could become people friendly and dog agressive having no socialization with his mates.
Boswer
Depending on the breed they need socializalation with their own kind and not people at this early of an age. We had a dog that was given to us at 6 weeks and he was never good with other dogs. You don't have to agree its a rule of thumb the longer they are with their litter the well rounded they are.
Boswer
dog7lver

QUOTE 6/10/2008 7:23:50 PM
when i got my yorkie he and his littermates where just shy of 4 months old. hypoglycemia is more likely to occur with young/small yorkies. i wouldn't take it outside right now until its had its shots. as beaglebrat said i would also recommend picking up a tube of nutri-cal. it helps to prevent them from going into a possible coma from low blood sugar. my breeder included a tube with my puppy pack. give your pup some once a day from the tip of your finger like you would on a toothbrush or put it in it's food. the puppy should readily accept it. putting it in its food will encourage appetite. i would suggest giving it to your pup until it is at least 8-10wks.
wildflower58

QUOTE 6/10/2008 10:05:39 PM

Quote wildflower58:

thank you all for your imput. yes i took her to the vet today and she did have hypoglycemia and was giving high-cal i'am to put it on my finger 3 times a day for her . and i to agree due to that yorkie's are small to begin with the breeders should not start selling them to there atleast 10 weeks old . her weight was 13 oz not even a pound today at vets office. he told me that he thought she would be ok using high-cal 3 times aday but as a new pet owner i have been total scared . i will never buy a puppy that small ever again . i love her dearly but untill i see her active and gaining weight i live in feer i never want to see her the way she was this morning .
wildflower58

QUOTE 6/10/2008 10:08:58 PM
and she has had her first set of baby shots.
littlemissmom_23

QUOTE 6/10/2008 11:43:47 PM

Quote wildflower58:

thank you all for your imput. yes i took her to the vet today and she did have hypoglycemia and was giving high-cal i'am to put it on my finger 3 times a day for her . and i to agree due to that yorkie's are small to begin with the breeders should not start selling them to there atleast 10 weeks old . her weight was 13 oz not even a pound today at vets office. he told me that he thought she would be ok using high-cal 3 times aday but as a new pet owner i have been total scared . i will never buy a puppy that small ever again . i love her dearly but untill i see her active and gaining weight i live in feer i never want to see her the way she was this morning .
I am so glad everything is working out. Have fun with your new puppy.
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/11/2008 10:14:55 AM
she sounds very sweet, hope everything works out ok.keep us updated.
wildflower58

QUOTE 6/11/2008 5:31:52 PM
well hello everyone , well this morning she would eat a little and drink then go back into her crate. but as the day went on she quit drinking are eating . so at my wits end i went and bought puppy milk and a bottle she want drink out of it but i have been sqeezing a little into her mouth . i just dont know what to do i'm using the high- cal 3 times a day and there has been no more hypoglycemia but her little energy just got up and left her . i'am so angrey with her breeder i called her yesterday and she said she was having problems with mine's little brother and with her working it has became a problem . she never called me back to check on her are anything . i'am doing everything i can for my little girl tasha any feed back is a great help. i dont feel so alone . i'am really scared oh . thank you all for listing to me.
noskiveez

QUOTE 6/11/2008 5:47:31 PM
I really feel that if you are concerned about your puppy's health, you should take her back to the vet right away.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 6/11/2008 10:30:13 PM
Ok Wildflower-- Your puppy is extremely extremely tiny. I know because my yorkie stayed between 11-12OZ for many MONTHS.

If I would have had to go to work for 8 hours a day, he would have been dead. It is very possible that your girl will need intensive care for the next several months if she is to survive.

The Hypoglycemia will be an ongoing battle with a puppy that small. I would recommend keeping the puppy at a very warm temperature. That way the puppy does not need to struggle and burn energy to keep warm (that was a huge battle with my guy, always being cold).

The other thing would be to make sure that puppy is eating and getting the Nutri-cal at least every 4 hours. Do NOT let the puppy go all the way through an 8 hour night with out any food or hydration.

Just treat her like a special needs baby and hopefully you will be able to get her over this hump.
wildflower58

QUOTE 6/11/2008 11:32:19 PM
my yorkie is 13 oz i'am giving her high - cal 3 times a day but since i started giving it to her she want eat are drink anything . i have bought milk for puppies that has all the vitamins she would get from her moma are i guess close to it .becauess i wanted her to drink . will the high - cal stop her from eating and drinking ? i'am taking her back to vet in the morning . i work out of my home so i'am here with her all the time and if i leave for any lenth of time my husband are grown son is here with her . i have a sreen in back porch so i have keep her there alot cauess it is warm there. i live in texas lol so it is hot . the vet said 3 times aday with the high - cal but she has't to eat and drink are she will never gain weight . thanks to everyone for there support .
beaglebrat

QUOTE 6/11/2008 11:59:06 PM
Well, the high cal stuff is basically like giving them a sugary candy and what kid wouldn't want just candy. It can lead to a problem getting them to eat regular food, but it is kind of a necessary evil. She needs the high calorie supplement for sure.

As your vet for safe ways to force her to at least drink water. You may have to make her drink with a syringe.

If it were my dog, I think puppies that size need to eat a lot more than 3 times a day--I would think that was what you should be supplementing if she was eating.

Since she is not eating or drinking, she needs more than she is likely getting.

Think about how often newborn babies require food. These are NOT normal puppies.
wildflower58

QUOTE 6/12/2008 9:42:45 AM
yes i'am feeding her from a bottle are rather sqeezing it into her mouth and yes i'am doing it more than 3 times aday . i'am also putting water in her bottle . i'am so tired . and the sad part is i'm not seeing any improvement from my work.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 6/12/2008 10:27:24 AM
Please don't think I am being discouraging, actually I am trying to say that you can likely keep her going, but hypoglycemia in these small puppies can go on until they are 8 months old some times.

Hopefully your girl will be solid on her own before that, but it wouldn't be unheard of for her to need a lot of help for a pretty long time.

I wish I could help you more.

My Gizmo is nearly a year and a half. He has never been away from either myself or my husband for more than 8 hours because he needs to eat, and he just isn't a good eater.

He has traveled more than any of our other dogs, because if we are going somewhere we just can't have 'anyone' watch him. Actually, I have very knowledgeable dog people to help me, but not with him.

He is too quirky and delicate in his eating habits. I still give him a nutrical like product (Dyne) if he is looking lethargic or thin at times.

It has just been in the past 3 months that he has started to ask for dry food and that is the Royal Canin Yorkie food, it must be tasty and they have small kibble. (We have tried, but Gizmo does not eat raw meat, he will eat small amounts of fruits and veggies)

Just hang in there. They are a lot of work, but I couldn't love an animal more than I love him.

Take care.
wildflower58

QUOTE 6/12/2008 10:41:56 AM
beaglebrat , you are being lots of help just listing to me . i'am taking her back to vet this morning . is your puppy a yorkie ? if so how old was he when you got him ? i love her to death you just feel as if your hands are tied and you dont know were to turn next . besides the cost of her i have been out allready so much in vet bills . im so up set with her breeder . she never calls to check on her .
beaglebrat

QUOTE 6/12/2008 10:58:56 AM
Gizmo is a Yorkie. I was his breeder, so I always had him. The funny thing was, he didn't start getting 'sick' until he was about 6-7 weeks about the time his mom started weaning him. Then I just found him on the floor in a near coma. That was his first episode.

Here are pics of him as a baby.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/tpalicat1/IMG_8990-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/tpalicat1/Gizmo001-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/tpalicat1/gizmo1-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/tpalicat1/IMG_9026.jpg

Here is a pic from around Christmas.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/tpalicat1/IMG_8769.jpg
beaglebrat

QUOTE 6/12/2008 11:02:23 AM
Good luck at the vet today. Please keep us posted.
Post Reply New Topic