my dog is panting heavily - been to the vet

my dog is panting heavily - been to the vet

themonkey

QUOTE 5/31/2008 11:07:15 AM
hello! i'm new here. i'm posting to ask if anyone has any ideas on this. i have a 15 year old chow (please don't tell me that he's going to die soon) who is in great shape. weighs about 60lbs and is a very well-loved indoor dog.

he started panting heavily for no apparent reason about a month ago. we took him to the vet. vet x-rayed his chest and said his heart and lungs look fine. btw, he's been going to this vet his whole life. they also did blood and urine tests and said that ALL the results are absolutely fine. great in fact, for an older dog. he said that that's just something that older dogs do sometimes - breathe heavily.

has anyone else had an experience like this? i hate for him to be uncomfortable and i would do/pay anything to make him better. any ideas?

jodie
suebgone

QUOTE 5/31/2008 10:38:03 PM
heavy panting is usually a sign of pain but it sounds like your vet has checked everything pretty well.

is he cool enough? ( I live in FL )lol

is he well groomed? as in by a professional groomer so his skin can breath?
themonkey

QUOTE 6/1/2008 12:16:53 AM
thank you for your reply, suebgone. i appreciate it.

he doesn't appear to be in any pain and i give him a good going over a couple of times a week.

we live in southern california - so we're probably about the same temp...summer is coming early. boo! but i do keep him plenty cool. i'm home with him nearly all the time and if i have to leave, i make sure that i leave the A/C on at a comfortable temp for him. we also have a fan for him - not too close - but close enough to cool him down. after 13 years, he figured out that laying in front of it was a good thing. lol.

as for being well-groomed. yes, he's pretty well groomed. we have to do it ourselves b/c he won't allow anyone else to. he's an odd little fellow. thankfully, he's a chow mix and doesn't have the long hair and big mane of a full chow.

i'm just at a loss as to what to do for him. sometimes he breathes so loud he wakes us up. of course we don't mind - we just feel bad for him. we do our best to sooth and comfort him and get him back to sleep. i just want him to be comfortable. i love him so much. he's our only child.

thanks again for your input and for taking the time to reply.

jodie

i just thought of something, don't know if it means anything...but he never does that while he's sleeping. i wonder if it could be anxiety...he's always been very jumpy - like if you touch him when he's not expecting it. he wasn't abused - we've had him since he was a pup and we know the people who gave him to us. i would think if it was a true physical ailment, that he'd be doing it in his sleep too...maybe i'm grasping at straws. i just want my guy to be happy and well for as long as possible. sorry this is so long. thanks for taking the time to read.
suebgone

QUOTE 6/1/2008 12:45:31 PM
perhaps a second opinion is in order & would ease your mind.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 6/2/2008 12:09:54 AM

Quote themonkey:

hello! i'm new here. i'm posting to ask if anyone has any ideas on this. i have a 15 year old chow (please don't tell me that he's going to die soon) who is in great shape. weighs about 60lbs and is a very well-loved indoor dog.

he started panting heavily for no apparent reason about a month ago. we took him to the vet. vet x-rayed his chest and said his heart and lungs look fine. btw, he's been going to this vet his whole life. they also did blood and urine tests and said that ALL the results are absolutely fine. great in fact, for an older dog. he said that that's just something that older dogs do sometimes - breathe heavily.

has anyone else had an experience like this? i hate for him to be uncomfortable and i would do/pay anything to make him better. any ideas?

jodie
I agree you need a second opinion. If its not normal to you then its not normal.
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/2/2008 10:08:47 AM
kind of sounds like chf.i don't know if dogs can get it but that's what it sounds like.i know sometimes in humans it doesn't show up right away.and in an older dog it could be a possibility.but yes, by all means get a second opinion. good luck
themonkey

QUOTE 6/2/2008 3:34:17 PM
thank you ALL so much for your replies. i think you're right about the second opinion. the reason i've hesitated is that he (billy) is such a spaz at the vet. he used to have to take a tranquilizer, but as he got older we didn't feel comforatable giving it to him. although the vet said that the stress was worse for him that the effect of the tranq. still, i don't like medicating him like that. he goes so crazy he has to be muzzled and with this new breathing problem, that just kills me to think about, you know?

also, i don't know what 'chf' is, maligirl1...could you please explain? another thing is he'll have to go through all those test again. ugh. this is so hard. i'm not trying to make excuses not to go, i'm just weighing it all out.

thanks again everybody for your thoughts. have a great day.

jodie
suebgone

QUOTE 6/2/2008 7:33:55 PM
chf = congestive heart failure caused by fluid building up around the heart & squishing it. if he had chf he would be coughing very hard.

it is treatable.
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/3/2008 7:14:25 AM
sue, thanks for explaining that,sorry i forgot to explain.that is true he would be coughing but if it has just started and is mild(so far) he would be just heavy panting.but thanks again for explaining it.
themonkey

QUOTE 6/3/2008 12:57:42 PM
thanks guys! it started about 2 months ago. he isn't coughing, but a couple of times a day he kind of huffs like he's going to vomit. he usually huffs/gags about 5 times and it really looks like something is going to come up - but nothing ever does. kind of like a cat with a hairball then he just goes about his business.

if you don't mind, could you tell me what is the treatment for CHF?

thank you very much,
jodie
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/3/2008 1:40:51 PM

Quote themonkey:

thanks guys! it started about 2 months ago. he isn't coughing, but a couple of times a day he kind of huffs like he's going to vomit. he usually huffs/gags about 5 times and it really looks like something is going to come up - but nothing ever does. kind of like a cat with a hairball then he just goes about his business.

thank you very much,
jodie
the tx varies according to the severity of the illness.but since i am not a vet i would really rather not say what they might treat him with.plse just do you and your dog a favor and get a 2nd opinion, it will ease your fears and help your dog good luck.
danjab

QUOTE 7/30/2008 2:23:12 AM
Hi Jodie,

I am in Southern California, have a chow mix, and she is panting heavily too. We are getting ready to take her to the vet. I'm wondering which vet you used, and if you were happy with the results. Our dog has gone to the same vet her whole life (she's 6 years old) but all he ever says is that she's overweight. She is, a little, but I'm not sure that the weight is the cause.

I have observed that sometimes, she appears "stiff", but after she walks around for a while she seems OK. She's had X rays, nothing found. Other than the panting, she is very healthy.

Would love to know which vet you are using, if this was solved, and if you were happy with the results.

You can write to me at DanJab@gmail.com if you don't want to put the vet's name in this forum, OK?

Best,
Dan
(danjab@gmail.com)
nathan37bonnie

QUOTE 8/28/2008 11:33:24 AM

Quote themonkey:

thank you very much,
jodie
I would really love to hear what you have found out now that a couple of months have past. I have a black lab who is 13 years old who is doing those exact same things. This huffing-gagging deal comes sporadically and like you said,nothing happens. She pants like she is out of breath all the time and now she paces the floor. we can hardly get her to just lie down. I wake up to find she has come into our bedroom to sleep-somewhere she has not ever been able to access and knows not to. Please share what you have found out.
jodijim1

QUOTE 8/30/2008 1:32:35 AM
You must really take good care of your dog for him to be the senior citizen that he is...I'm in TX and my German Spitz pants heavily in the heat, panting is how a dog lowers their body temperature. If your vet has checked him out that is probably all it is. I take a spray bottle on our walks and keep my dogs spritzed to keep them cool, I also get them summer "cuts", they aren't as pretty but they are much happier and cooler. You didn't mention his weight, but even an extra pound or two is very stressful to a dog and can cause them to pant from the exertion of extra weight, just like us! You might put him on a low cal diet food to help him lose weight if he is carrying a little extra, extra exercise might make things worse. Good luck with your baby!
jennyjulia1

QUOTE 10/12/2008 9:40:48 PM
Wow! What you posted really freaked me out not only do you sound exactly like me...our dogs sound exactly alike! i went on to google panting...because my 13yr old chow..whose name is bill..is not only my child..my life!! He is very neurotic..wont go to groomer..is scared of everything (especially if u approach him unannounced), has been panting really bad lately and it has been making me a nervous wreck to think of anything.. like you know!! I was wondering if you came up with anything and would love to talk about our dogs who seem like soulmates!!
mlamdal

QUOTE 10/27/2008 10:38:49 AM
His symtoms sound alot like my little pap mix. She started panting heavily this spring, then a little cough/gag occasionly, then her energy level seemed to drop, began to hide, and not coming when called. She was always by my side. Several trips to the vet later, numerous test, all sysmtoms getting worse, they said her heart murmer was a little worse, but thought she had kennel cough. She died of CHF two weeks later. I suggest a second opinion. Had I gotten one my little Brit-Brit might still be with me.
aegrimm

QUOTE 10/27/2008 11:04:48 AM
I'm not sure if you did but did you put ur pup in a kennel or have him around any other dogs that may have been sick.. havent gotten vacanations. Did he maybe wander off from your yard because it sounds possible that he sounds like he might of picked up kennel cough.. cuz sometimes a dog can get kennel cough at a vet office(its possible!) but if the tests came back all negative thats just wierd that they have no results for you at all?! Also, kennel cough multi/dog stressful situation.. and your dog is getting to the age of were everything happens and he gets startled easily now it could be he's just gettin stressed out now from going to the vet so much.. Or being touched/groomed when he doesn't feel comfortable can make him have like a type of anxiety attack.. I have a lil stubborn chi and hes a lil rascal! One time just One time for the first time i tried trimming his nails and cut his quick now i'm to scared to do it so i have to bring him to the vet everytime and they have to have another person restraint this little 3 pound chihuahua cause he's just freaking out and doesn't like his nails trimmed when i first got him i noticed he didn't like his feet to be touched tho.. But stressful environments for dogs can cause them to get worse..? Hopefully i helped you out a lil?
lori888

QUOTE 2/19/2009 8:17:45 PM
I don't know if your dog can teach himself a new trick at his age

But my 5 year old Pomeranian/Maltese decided one day that he would do lots of panting to show his excitement.
Whenever he meets new people or he thinks we're going out, or maybe my parents visit, he gets super happy and pants lots. In a nutshell, he shows off by doing this and is attention seeking.

Of course I don't mind and think its just another way of him expressing himself.

So maybe your little guy is trying to tell you something.
lori888

QUOTE 2/19/2009 8:23:48 PM
Oh and I thought I should say that "Rescue Remedy" - Bach Flowers... is great for anxiety. You could put it in his water.
I've given it to my dogs when we've travelled. Good luck!...
tammy1969

QUOTE 2/21/2009 2:25:13 AM
hi,i think they pant if he has some form of anxiety or respiritory problem..Tell the vet to check or get two opinions????I think to as they get older they get tired & find it hard to breath when anything physical is happening...I have a chichuha & she is 10 & lately she is snorty heaps in these nasal attacks & can hardly pull her self out of them..Its not like the common throat attack snorting like the chichuha has when they are excited.i thought she nearly was going to die the other week.get your dog checked again all vets have different opinions!!!!!!!take care,They are so precious & yes!!it aches...joanne
Post Reply New Topic