My Australian shepherd need a good dog food

My Australian shepherd need a good dog food

agsourdough1

QUOTE 12/27/2007 12:13:45 AM
I have a one year old Australian shepherd.I think he has a sensitive stomach promblem. He's had soft stools for a while on and off and ever since I started him on his adult food its only gotten worse. I would ask my vet, but I keep reading that they only suggest the food that they sell themselves for the kick back. I would like to get a kibble that not only is easy on his stomach but also good for his breed. He is an active dog that gets about three hours of good play a day. I'm also interested in breed specific food for aussies, if there is one.
maligirl1

QUOTE 12/27/2007 9:57:15 AM
try using some brown rice and boiled chicken to see if that helps with the loose stools.have you had his stool tested? my dog had the same thing and she had giardia.my vet said it came from deer and rabbit stool.but they did recommend newmans own dry food,or blue buffalo dry food(both are all natural/organic) neither of which he sold in his office.some others have reccomended pumpkin,but i think you use that for constipation not for loose stools.hope i helped.
cannonfarms

QUOTE 12/27/2007 10:22:53 AM
I hate dog foods, can give you a ton of reasons why, including fda reports of dog dna being found in dog foods, yet people still dont listen.
anyway, in your search, check out www.rawfed.com the myths section, even if you dont want to feed raw, there is allot of information there.
suebgone

QUOTE 12/27/2007 5:57:21 PM
pumpkin is used for both diarrhea & constipation - & works for both - why? I dunno.

perhaps for this dog some yogurt a couple times a week would help the stool consistancy.

as for the breed specific foods - IMO it is all a marketing gimmick.

not to say there aren't different nutritional needs of activly working/hunting/herding etc. dogs & fifi sitting by the fire but to say each & every breed needs a different food such as Royal Canine has is just absurd. now there are others doing the same.

I don't think much of Newmans Own or Blue but then I don't think organic makes any sense for dogs. they are still full of stuff that dogs & cats are allergic to & can't digest well

I much prefer the holistic foods. you can google "natura" for info or google holistic dog food

99 1/2% of what is available in grocery stores & WM is absolute garbage
schnauzers4life

QUOTE 12/27/2007 8:30:19 PM
My dog has a REALLY sensitive stomach. There is a local Natural Pet Food store nearby and she can eat their food just fine.
angelzoo

QUOTE 12/28/2007 9:15:40 AM
What food is he currently on, and what are some that he has been on in the past (assuming there were any others).

There are numerous reasons for this, I really could not name every single one... wrong amount of fiber, intolerance to an ingredient, too much oil in his diet, stress, etc.

You can try giving him a fiber supplement every day, or pumpkin, or holistic digestive aid, or yogurt.

But, I generally prefer to get to the bottom of the problem at the same time.

Your vet can help you figure out what is causing this with OUT having to put your dog on a RX food.

If he's unwilling or unable, find yourself a good holistic vet.
emlee3

QUOTE 12/29/2007 9:49:29 PM

Quote agsourdough1:

I have a one year old Australian shepherd.I think he has a sensitive stomach promblem. He's had soft stools for a while on and off and ever since I started him on his adult food its only gotten worse. I would ask my vet, but I keep reading that they only suggest the food that they sell themselves for the kick back. I would like to get a kibble that not only is easy on his stomach but also good for his breed. He is an active dog that gets about three hours of good play a day. I'm also interested in breed specific food for aussies, if there is one.
yes, pumpkin and cooked rice can harden the stool BUT i would check to see the cause of this from your vet before doing anything. Giving your dog food that will harden his stool is not solving the problem but just hiding the fact that he has a problem. it could be anything from parasite to food allergy. check with your vet and if you don't believe in buying prescription food from your vet because of kickbacks than don't buy it. express your feelings about it and tell your vet..if your vet is persistent and does not listen to you than look for another vet.
flip195

QUOTE 1/1/2008 11:12:19 PM
Try feeding something with NO Beef and few or NO Grains.
Personally I home cook and it works out well.
codybanks

QUOTE 2/12/2008 8:24:04 PM
I got my aussie from a breeder who had it on a raw diet. I didn't want to continue to feed it raw so I tried many different kibbles. My dog also had very loose stools. I introduced each slowly and tried each for atleast a month. I finally had luck with the chicken and rice Eagle Pack. My petfood retailer suggested it and told me that it has an added ingredient to firm the stools. Look Eagle Pack up on the internet. The Website has more imfo on this topic.
Good luck!
suebgone

QUOTE 2/12/2008 9:53:12 PM
cody, just be advised that if you are getting the regular EP it has corn in it among other things.

it is the EP holistic that is the good one
maligirl1

QUOTE 2/13/2008 2:40:12 PM
i agree it's what i feed my dog she loves it and is very healthy.my vet doesn't recommend the holistic food but as long she is doing well i'll continue.i'm also in the process of converting over to raw diet.but anyway hope your dog does well.
Post Reply New Topic