Feeding my Rescued Deer Head Chihuahua

Feeding my Rescued Deer Head Chihuahua

tomburnett65

QUOTE 1/30/2013 12:02:28 AM
We rescued this dog from being lunch for a raven on a road trip. He has adapted well to our family but he won't eat his food unless I hold it in my hand. We did contact his old owners who said we could keep him. we found out that the wife would always put him outside with the German Shepard. So I'm wondering if he's afraid to eat out of the bowl. I have never owned a chihuahua so I'm not sure if it's just a breed thing or what. Any suggestions? 
kathystone

QUOTE 1/31/2013 6:49:30 AM
 Chihuahuas sometimes have different eating habits. Mine like to bring their food to the bed and then eat there. One will only eat if served in HER dish on HER couch. Mix abit of canned food in with the dry and see if that encourages her to eat. By refusing to eat unless you hand feed her she is training YOU to be her servant.  It is hard for them to believe that is not our role but theirs. Be sure to use a very small kibble that is easy to chew. Do NOT feed too much canned food as Chihuahuas tend to have a propensity to have bad teeth and canned food or "plastic food" like those semi moist bits will rot them.
Post Reply New Topic